PDA

View Full Version : Irrigator cooking show

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-08-2009, 09:42 AM
As I struggle to transition from brisket cooking to bread making I've developed several rules to still make it manly or non-gayish. One is you have to have a sourdough starter going. Add sourdough to everything. Corn muffins, home made bread, pancakes, use it as the thickner in your chili. (vegetarian chili). Also use stick butter and leave it out on the counter. Better to use a light spread of stick butter than a big swab of that gross heart smart stuff. Another thing is make your own dipping oil. In this I've taken some hatch dried peppers and crumbled them into this energy shake maker then added olive oil. When making pancakes buy the real stuff that you have to add eggs, milk, and oil to. Then double it in size with sourdough. Let it sit for two hours before making pancakes. Top it off with vermont maple syrup. I included two camping cook pics, One is my set up for an attempt at brisket tacos. You can see the brisket wrapped in foil in the fire. The other is still the best tasting way to make coffee.

DanaMac
02-08-2009, 09:58 AM
One other thing you'll miss when you move to Colorado from Texas, is the lack of fresh seafood. Except I know you are going more vegetarian now. A decent book to read, is Real Food by Nina Planck. Talks about getting away from all the processed foods. Going back to real butter, not the "good for you" butter substitutes. Grow as much as you can. Hit the farmers markets. Cage free eggs. That sort of thing.

But it may be too hippie-granola of a book for you :)

Mike Leary
02-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Wonder how long its going to take Peter to lose the drawl after the move north.

Wet_Boots
02-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm sorry, but dipping oil is absolutely gay....http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:FD6v5uwxSW0fhM:http://www.bf2-squads.com/forum/Smileys/default/gay.gif

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I lost the sourdough starter I used to use in KS. I have made my own starters i the past with great success. I have had ZERO luck with sourdough here at 6000'. I find it takes almost twice as much yeast and serious adjustments to my favorite bread recipes to get a decent loaf at altitude. Dana, or any of the other CO guys.......do you or your SO's make homeade sourdough bread? Interesting enough, the grocery story bakeries don't offer homemade sourdough either. I am considering ordering a starter this spring. I love sourdough and am saddened at my lack of success in the new climate.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
One other thing you'll miss when you move to Colorado from Texas, is the lack of fresh seafood. Except I know you are going more vegetarian now. A decent book to read, is Real Food by Nina Planck. Talks about getting away from all the processed foods. Going back to real butter, not the "good for you" butter substitutes. Grow as much as you can. Hit the farmers markets. Cage free eggs. That sort of thing.

But it may be too hippie-granola of a book for you :)

I'm reading the Skinny B@tch right now. I actually went through a very intense macrobiotic food stage for several years in my early 30s. All organic, short grain bown rice, lots of miso, tofu, and seaweed. The whole ying and yang thing. A great book to read is the Macrobiotic Way by Michio Kushi.

Boots.....Adding Hatch Peppers to first process VIRGIN:) olive oil moves it from the gay category to the sophisticated man category.

Mike.... Howdy and Ya'll will never leave my vocab.

AI Inc
02-08-2009, 10:21 AM
You want to be using EXTRA virgin olive oil.
Extra comes from the first press
virgin from the second press and reg olive oil from the 3rd press.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-08-2009, 10:23 AM
I lost the sourdough starter I used to use in KS. I have made my own starters i the past with great success. I have had ZERO luck with sourdough here at 6000'. I find it takes almost twice as much yeast and serious adjustments to my favorite bread recipes to get a decent loaf at altitude. Dana, or any of the other CO guys.......do you or your SO's make homeade sourdough bread? Interesting enough, the grocery story bakeries don't offer homemade sourdough either. I am considering ordering a starter this spring. I love sourdough and am saddened at my lack of success in the new climate.

King Arthur Flour in Vermont is the place to go for sourdough starter. They also have some ready made bread mixes. I have their Alaskan Sourdough bread in my Bread Machine right now.

Wet_Boots
02-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Boots.....Adding Hatch Peppers to first process VIRGIN:) olive oil moves it from the gay category to the sophisticated man category.Oh sure. :nono: And if you use extra-virgin olive oil, that just makes it extra-gay ;)

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-08-2009, 10:25 AM
You want to be using EXTRA virgin olive oil.
Extra comes from the first press
virgin from the second press and reg olive oil from the 3rd press.

Is it my imagination or have olive oil prices skyrocketed lately?

Oh my Lawd I just realized how gay that sentence was. What is happening to MY BODY:cry:

AI Inc
02-08-2009, 10:43 AM
There is nothing gay about olive oil. As a customer of mine that is a chef said " you could go break a branch of that pine tree over there and cook it in olive oil and garlic and it would taste great"
Now tufu on the other hand ..........

Wet_Boots
02-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Olive oil has been expensive ever since the Spanish crop shortages a few years ago. Those 3-liter cans of Bertolli (mostly Spanish, despite being packaged in Italy) could be had for five or six bucks.

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-08-2009, 10:51 AM
very nice peter

DanaMac
02-08-2009, 10:57 AM

No Bryan, we haven't done sourdough. But I love it. Tough to find a good one locally, but I do like it from Whole Foods. I make my thanksgiving stuffing/dressing with sourdough from WF.

You can get cheap olive oil, and you can get good expensive EVOO. We keep both on hand depending what we are cooking. We also have large 1-2 gallon jugs from CostCo for Windy's homemade soap.

Wet_Boots
02-08-2009, 10:57 AM
For the breakfast cooking, you can skip the sourdough stuff, and mix your batter with buttermilk.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-08-2009, 11:05 AM
For the breakfast cooking, you can skip the sourdough stuff, and mix your batter with buttermilk.

Buttermilk is metrosexual. Sourdough is Jack Bauerish.

Wet_Boots
02-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Make some biscuits with buttermilk and lard, and that's good eatin'!

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Buttermilk is metrosexual. Sourdough is Jack Bauerish.
If it tastes like chicken, looks like chicken, and feels like chicken, but Jack Bauer says its beef. Then it's freakin beef.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-08-2009, 11:13 AM
No Bryan, we haven't done sourdough. But I love it. Tough to find a good one locally, but I do like it from Whole Foods. I make my thanksgiving stuffing/dressing with sourdough from WF.

You can get cheap olive oil, and you can get good expensive EVOO. We keep both on hand depending what we are cooking. We also have large 1-2 gallon jugs from CostCo for Windy's homemade soap.

I used to buy the gallon jugs to pour in the bath tub with hot water to sooth my skin in the winter. It gets itchy dry. Now I buy Alpha Keri oil.

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Jack Bauer never retreats, he just attacks in the opposite direction.

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 11:15 AM
When in Jack Bauer's presence, Chuck Norris urinates sitting down

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Chuck Norris is a Texas Ranger only because Jack Bauer won’t allow him to be a federal agent

Ok, Im done.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-08-2009, 11:29 AM

irrig8r
02-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm sorry, but dipping oil is absolutely gay....http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:FD6v5uwxSW0fhM:http://www.bf2-squads.com/forum/Smileys/default/gay.gif

....not that there's anything wrong with that....

irrig8r
02-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm reading the Skinny B@tch right now. I actually went through a very intense macrobiotic food stage for several years in my early 30s. All organic, short grain bown rice, lots of miso, tofu, and seaweed. The whole ying and yang thing. A great book to read is the Macrobiotic Way by Michio Kushi.

Boots.....Adding Hatch Peppers to first process VIRGIN:) olive oil moves it from the gay category to the sophisticated man category.

Mike.... Howdy and Ya'll will never leave my vocab.

Wow... I did for a couple years when I was 19-21... dropped to 145 lbs., a little too light for hard work... started working at a raw milk dairy after that and gained 30 lbs.

Anyway, I still prefer brown rice over white, especially with adzuki beans... and I stir fried golden chard, young cauliflower and turnip slices with a little olive oil yesterday for dinner.

irrig8r
02-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I used to buy the gallon jugs to pour in the bath tub with hot water to sooth my skin in the winter. It gets itchy dry. Now I buy Alpha Keri oil.

A good massage parlor might be a little more expensive, but prob'ly more satisfying too...

ARGOS
02-08-2009, 12:21 PM

I have to oil the skin of my two boys from Africa every day or else their skin gets milky, flacky, and itchy. I used to just dump olive oil in their bath, but that trashed the tub. Now I use coconut oil when they are fresh out of the bath, it seems to keep their skin oiled longer.

ARGOS
02-08-2009, 12:29 PM
All organic, short grain bown rice, lots of miso, tofu, and seaweed. The whole ying and yang thing. A great book to read is the Macrobiotic Way by Michio Kushi.

OMG. My wife drove me absolutely bonkers with Macrobiotics in College. Michio Kushi is still on my hit list. Doesn't Macrobiotics encompose a life style of keeping your foods, building materials, etc regional? So, if you live in an area that has a lot of seal meat then it is healthy to eat a lot of seal meat. The Mi Wuk Indians around here lived on acorns. I have been living on donuts.

Wet_Boots
02-08-2009, 12:38 PM
OMG. My wife drove me absolutely bonkers with Macrobiotics in College. Michio Kushi is still on my hit list. Doesn't Macrobiotics encompose a life style of keeping your foods, building materials, etc regional? So, if you live in an area that has a lot of seal meat then it is healthy to eat a lot of seal meat. The Mi Wuk Indians around here lived on acorns. I have been living on donuts.Are they free-range donuts?

Jack Bauer eats French crullers.

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:fLR6mCn3ed9XBM:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2187/2258864573_291b980060.jpg

ARGOS
02-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I had to google Jack Bauer...this is why I don't watch tv. I'm sure he runs with Mcguiver. Jack Bauer is obviously gay.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-08-2009, 12:56 PM
OMG. My wife drove me absolutely bonkers with Macrobiotics in College. Michio Kushi is still on my hit list. Doesn't Macrobiotics encompose a life style of keeping your foods, building materials, etc regional? So, if you live in an area that has a lot of seal meat then it is healthy to eat a lot of seal meat. The Mi Wuk Indians around here lived on acorns. I have been living on donuts.

The regional thing is tough. That part is impossible to follow. Also the temp. of the food is important. Then there is the farting problem. Never farted so bad in my life than during my macrobiotic days. I got to the point where to be funny I'd have a little miso and a raw carrot and within 10 minutes could bring the house down. I still have my Yin Yang balance sheet.

Argos you are right about that olive oil in the bath tub. Getting out of the tub a few times I almost went head first into the wall or floor.

Sprinkus
02-08-2009, 01:43 PM
And I thought olive oil was just for lubricating sticky pop-ups!

Waterit
02-08-2009, 01:49 PM
This whole thread is gay. Gotta go kill something now to make up for reading it.

Kiril
02-08-2009, 01:52 PM
The regional thing is tough. That part is impossible to follow.

Isn't it also seasonal? If you think about it, the whole idea makes perfect sense with respect to building up your immune system. :)

Mike Leary
02-08-2009, 01:53 PM
::::::pours a jigger of Jack Black over ice to recover from this thread:::::::::::

Wet_Boots
02-08-2009, 02:11 PM
:::::: pours a jigger of Jack Black over ice to recover from this thread:::::::::::Is it free-range ice?

Mike Leary
02-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Is it free-range ice?

And it's not Sanpaku, either.

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I had to google Jack Bauer...this is why I don't watch tv. I'm sure he runs with Mcguiver. Jack Bauer is obviously gay.

When you open a can of whoop-ass, Jack Bauer jumps out.

If Jack Bauer was gay, his name would be Chuck Norris.

Stuttering Stan
02-08-2009, 04:51 PM
I can't believe grown men are talking about this. Why don't you go call you Mary Kay rep and get makeover. Unbelievable!

Mike Leary
02-08-2009, 04:53 PM
If Jack Bauer was gay, his name would be Loren Green

What? Tell me it is a commie lie.

DanaMac
02-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I can't believe grown men are talking about this. Why don't you go call you Mary Kay rep and get makeover. Unbelievable!

More guys cooking on Food Network than women.

ARGOS
02-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Grown men do not have to prove their masculinity.

Thus Jack Bauer is definitely gay.

Mike Leary
02-08-2009, 05:09 PM
More guys cooking on Food Network than women.

Might review what you just said.

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Its true.

Les, you are just itchin to go skiing. Theres a chef deep down inside of ya! NO?

DanaMac
02-08-2009, 05:12 PM

You're right, it did sound a little......... :laugh: But real men know how to cook. And talk about it. But since we are on Food Network discussion, I have one name - Giada De Laurentiis. Enough said.

Wet_Boots
02-08-2009, 05:21 PM
only Jack Bauer fries bacon in the nude.....

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 05:23 PM
You're right, it did sound a little......... :laugh: But real men know how to cook. And talk about it. But since we are on Food Network discussion, I have one name - Giada De Laurentiis. Enough said.
Big Head?????

Shes not proportional, at a number of angles.

Some good, some bad!:clapping:

http://thepowerof10.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/giada1.jpg

DanaMac
02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Big Head?????

Shes not proportional, at a number of angles.

Some good, some bad!:clapping:

http://thepowerof10.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/giada1.jpg

Mmmmmm........ I love her big....... head.

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Speaking of bathing in oils and foods.....

http://michaelscomments.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/giada-delaurentiis-3-08073.jpg

Wet_Boots
02-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I think I'll have a slice of melon....

AI Inc
02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
only Jack Bauer fries bacon in the nude.....

Whoo , he is a tough guy, or dirt stupid.

DanaMac
02-08-2009, 05:46 PM

Melon? Or melon(s)?

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 05:50 PM
"Are they built for speed, or built for comfort?"

"Did you motorboat her? You motorboated her didnt you? You motorboatin son of a biatch!"

DanaMac
02-08-2009, 05:52 PM
"Are they built for speed, or built for comfort?"

"Did you motorboat her? You motorboated her didnt you? You motorboatin son of a biatch!"

Wedding Crashers. Too easy...

irrig8r
02-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Melon? Or melon(s)?

A little Giada with prosciutto maybe....

DanaMac
02-08-2009, 05:55 PM
A little Giada with prosciutto maybe....

Honestly, i find her to be the sexiest woman on TV. Everyday Italian. Twice a day on the Food Network. I have one of her cookbooks.

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Wedding Crashers. Too easy...
Yeah, poop. It was on yesterday. Fresh under my sombrero.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-08-2009, 06:09 PM
honestly, i find her to be the sexiest woman on tv. Everyday italian. Twice a day on the food network. I have one of her cookbooks.

twice a day! Ewwwwwwh

DanaMac
02-08-2009, 06:13 PM
The mods need to make a sub-category just for us. Hidden and not displayed for all to see. :)

Sprinkus
02-08-2009, 07:14 PM
The mods need to make a sub-category just for us. Hidden and not displayed for all to see. :)

Like the "Rumpus Room"?

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
The thread started out talking about Peter transitioning his cooking skills from TX Brisket. He mentioned baking bread and some lame, my wife/s.o. does everything for me, moma's boy decides the conversation is gay?

And the real men, baking bread and operating the BBQ care because? I developed my interest in homemade bread because good hot bread compliments Q so very well. We have a bread machine. It was a gift from my parents before my Dad passed on. I have used it to make bread DOUGH on a few occasions. I bought my wife a Kitchen Aide stand mixer because she threatened that she wouldn't be able to do her holiday baking without one. Her spine is going bad and stirring heavy dough just ain't happening. The bonus was having the heavy stand mixer for bread now. I strongly recommend "The Bread Bible". I don't remember where I picked it up, but I can look up the author if anyone is interested.

Sourdough.............ym! I will have to give in and order a couple of different starters when the weather gets "better". Dana, are you sure that WF is making that sourdough? Or are they "finishing" it in the store. I have done a LOT of reading about the affects of altitude on cooking. I have also enjoyed a few of the Iron Chef type competitions that have been done at altitude. The one a while back at Aspen was great. I wish they would have talked more about exactly what they did to adjust, and not just that they made a lot of adjustments. Water freezes "warmer" and boils "cooler". Yeast bubbles release faster and lose their effectiveness quicker. Now, add in the high desert lack of humidity, when your whole life has been at near 100% humidity and WOW. (Yes, my whole life, excluding 8 semesters of college in Manhattan, KS and two years in SW NE)

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-09-2009, 02:04 AM
The thread started out talking about Peter transitioning his cooking skills from TX Brisket. He mentioned baking bread and some lame, my wife/s.o. does everything for me, moma's boy decides the conversation is gay?

And the real men, baking bread and operating the BBQ care because? I developed my interest in homemade bread because good hot bread compliments Q so very well. We have a bread machine. It was a gift from my parents before my Dad passed on. I have used it to make bread DOUGH on a few occasions. I bought my wife a Kitchen Aide stand mixer because she threatened that she wouldn't be able to do her holiday baking without one. Her spine is going bad and stirring heavy dough just ain't happening. The bonus was having the heavy stand mixer for bread now. I strongly recommend "The Bread Bible". I don't remember where I picked it up, but I can look up the author if anyone is interested.

Sourdough.............ym! I will have to give in and order a couple of different starters when the weather gets "better". Dana, are you sure that WF is making that sourdough? Or are they "finishing" it in the store. I have done a LOT of reading about the affects of altitude on cooking. I have also enjoyed a few of the Iron Chef type competitions that have been done at altitude. The one a while back at Aspen was great. I wish they would have talked more about exactly what they did to adjust, and not just that they made a lot of adjustments. Water freezes "warmer" and boils "cooler". Yeast bubbles release faster and lose their effectiveness quicker. Now, add in the high desert lack of humidity, when your whole life has been at near 100% humidity and WOW. (Yes, my whole life, excluding 8 semesters of college in Manhattan, KS and two years in SW NE)

Can't sleep tonight...One thing that bread machine does is make awesome pizza dough. Add seasoning and set on dough setting then roll out. Put it on the pan. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Then pull out, lightly coat with olive oil, add sauce cheese whatever. Back in the oven for 15 minutes. I have an old Panasonic Bread machine that I'm not sure you can get anymore. Has a separate yeast dispenser. Sourdough with italian seasoning added makes a pizza that can't be beat by Wolfgang Puck. Jalapeno dough for pizza comes in a close second.

DanaMac
02-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Dana, are you sure that WF is making that sourdough? Or are they "finishing" it in the store.

No idea. All I know is it is pretty good. They tend to make a lot of their own foods there. But I'm not sure if it's done from scratch in the store.

Wet_Boots
02-09-2009, 08:39 AM
You bake a pizza in a pan? Boo hiss. A baking stone is the thing to use.

DanaMac
02-09-2009, 08:42 AM
You bake a pizza in a pan? Boo hiss. A baking stone is the thing to use.

We have three of them. Use them for a lot more than bread and pizza.

Wet_Boots
02-09-2009, 08:52 AM
What else for, besides the bread and pizza?

ARGOS
02-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Can't sleep tonight...One thing that bread machine does is make awesome pizza dough. Add seasoning and set on dough setting then roll out. Put it on the pan. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Then pull out, lightly coat with olive oil, add sauce cheese whatever. Back in the oven for 15 minutes. I have an old Panasonic Bread machine that I'm not sure you can get anymore. Has a separate yeast dispenser. Sourdough with italian seasoning added makes a pizza that can't be beat by Wolfgang Puck. Jalapeno dough for pizza comes in a close second.

My oldest daughter runs our Zojirushi bread machine (had to go with an industrial because we make two to three loaves a day). She has mastered making pizza dough in the machine, rolling it out, and making pizza in minutes. Great quick meal. Jalapenos in the dough is a great idea I didn't think of. I buy jalapeno bagels all the time. Jalapeno bagel with melted cheese, an egg, and mayonnaise it awesome.

Wet_Boots
02-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Are they free-range jalapeños?

AI Inc
02-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Take pizza dough, roll it out and cut up cheddar cheese and Linguisa ( poutugese sausage) Fill the dough , roll it over the top and bake. Makes an awesome calzone.

bicmudpuppy
02-11-2009, 07:59 AM
My oldest daughter runs our Zojirushi bread machine (had to go with an industrial because we make two to three loaves a day). She has mastered making pizza dough in the machine, rolling it out, and making pizza in minutes. Great quick meal. Jalapenos in the dough is a great idea I didn't think of. I buy jalapeno bagels all the time. Jalapeno bagel with melted cheese, an egg, and mayonnaise it awesome.

Our bread machine is a Zojirushi. I do love it, but as I've said before, these days feeding two very active student athletes makes me feel like I'm cooking for an army. I make bread dough in the Kitchen Aide stand mixer because I can do the white bread recipe I like doubled (10 cups of flour) at one time. I will do anything from sub sandwich style rolls to dinner rolls that way. Also, I've become hooked on sponge starters and I find using them here at altitude makes it easier too. I can make the sponge, put the rest of the ingredients on top in the mixing bowl and watch a movie. Letting the yeast and sugar get happy with part of the dough before kneading it into a proper loaf, gives that extra "poof" that I love in hot bread. More air, more air, more air.

That was the most disappointing thing about some of the first bread attempts here at altitude. The taste wasn't bad, it was just really dense. I'm getting better at nice light, airy breads again. Also, nothing beats a good batch of active white bread, rolled thin and then filled with cinnamon, brown sugar, and some softened butter. Then roll up and slice for some of the tallest, best cinnamon rolls you'll ever eat :)

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-11-2009, 09:06 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QFL0/km-20/ref=nosim?gclid=CMH47MPQ1JgCFRhhnAodXjGQ0w

This is what I've been using over 10 years now. Maybe 15. Hasn't changed a bit. The loafs are tall rather than long but it has what the Z and no other maker I've seen does. A separate yeast dispenser. Really handy for those delayed settings.

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Here's a free range jalapeno. Counting the days to see this "tom"

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Our bread machine is a Zojirushi. I do love it, but as I've said before, these days feeding two very active student athletes makes me feel like I'm cooking for an army. I make bread dough in the Kitchen Aide stand mixer because I can do the white bread recipe I like doubled (10 cups of flour) at one time. I will do anything from sub sandwich style rolls to dinner rolls that way. Also, I've become hooked on sponge starters and I find using them here at altitude makes it easier too. I can make the sponge, put the rest of the ingredients on top in the mixing bowl and watch a movie. Letting the yeast and sugar get happy with part of the dough before kneading it into a proper loaf, gives that extra "poof" that I love in hot bread. More air, more air, more air.

That was the most disappointing thing about some of the first bread attempts here at altitude. The taste wasn't bad, it was just really dense. I'm getting better at nice light, airy breads again. Also, nothing beats a good batch of active white bread, rolled thin and then filled with cinnamon, brown sugar, and some softened butter. Then roll up and slice for some of the tallest, best cinnamon rolls you'll ever eat :)
Hey Bic in doing some research on bread issues I noticed this note on high altitude bread issues.

Basically in High altitudes low air pressure means the yeast meets less resistance so it over expands and crashes.

possible solutions
Experiment with reducing yeast by a 1/4 teaspoon at a time
reduce water but no more than an 1/8 of a cup
Try light finely milled flours

Mike Leary
02-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Basically in High altitudes low air pressure means the contractors meet less resistance so it over expands and crashes

Yup, agree, I plan on nitrous-oxide when I take over up there.

bicmudpuppy
02-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey Bic in doing some research on bread issues I noticed this note on high altitude bread issues.

Basically in High altitudes low air pressure means the yeast meets less resistance so it over expands and crashes.

possible solutions
Experiment with reducing yeast by a 1/4 teaspoon at a time
reduce water but no more than an 1/8 of a cup
Try light finely milled flours

I have read a LOT and like irrigation, a lot of it conflicts. Much of the conflicting answers have to do with method. One recommends less water, one recommends less yeast. Another says to add eggs/protein, while someone else says add yeast. I have almost doubled the amount of yeast I was using in KS, BUT I have found that I like to use a "sponge" method for developing the bread. The sponge method allows you to use less yeast than normal bread making......or it did before I super charged the yeast by moving to altitude. With a sponge, you use all of the liquid, but less than half the flour, and half the yeast you are going to use in an initial mix. You then cover that liquid mixture with the remaining dry ingredients. You let the sponge sit for a minimum of one hour, and up to eight hours, depending on the desired results and the time you have available. I am letting my sponge sit for a shorter period of time (30-45 minutes) and I'm back to a "normal" yeast load instead of about half (getting "less" benefit from the sponge). I think I could cut back on the yeast now, but I do like the current texture of what I'm baking. Getting big, airy bubbles in the bread is much harder here. The next step is to "step" the sponge. Only put a minimal amount of yeast in the sponge to start and let it "work". Add a little more yeast and top the sponge like normal now. Then, monitor and do the initial kneading when the sponge has reached its potential. When I get a good basic white bread to work well, then I will work on some grains again. I love whole wheat. One of my first favorites was an oatmeal bread.

Wet_Boots
02-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Anyone here make a "cracked wheat" bread? That was a supermarket favorite of mine.

AI Inc
02-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Cant do the whole grains, last time I ate a bran muffin I was sweating bullets trying to take a dump.

DanaMac
02-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Cant do the whole grains, last time I ate a bran muffin I was sweating bullets trying to take a dump.

I thought bran was supposed to help that :confused: Or do some people just not process it well?

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-14-2009, 07:35 AM

Drink more water. Add soluble fibers. Whole grain acts like a brillo pad on your colon. Really important that you have something go through there and scrape the gunk off your colon walls.

AI Inc
02-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Ya know, In the summer when Im sweating I drink 3-4 gallons. Other times of yr I only drink while eating.
Last winter I had to reup my DOT medical card. When they took a sample to test for diabetes , the nurse checked urine color as gold and said I need to drink a lot more.

DanaMac
02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I didn't make this, but got it from a customer on Monday. I started her system up early. She gives us fresh bread, cinnamon rolls, sweet rolls, and all kind of baked goods every time we go there.

hoskm01
02-27-2009, 03:58 PM
I didn't make this, but got it from a customer on Monday. I started her system up early. She gives us fresh bread, cinnamon rolls, sweet rolls, and all kind of baked goods every time we go there.
Looks tasty.

It wasnt made with Colon Blow, was it?