PDA

View Full Version : Theft increasing as economy sours.

GStevens1
02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Here in San Jose, CA, I had everything stolen out of my enclosed trailer. The thieves stole everything. Called my friend whom also lives in San Jose, and he just had an attempted break-in on his enclosed trailer 2 weeks earlier.

I went over to a trailer company, and had the special bolt cutter proof locks installed (3 of them; 2 on ramp, and 1 on side door), and the owner said he is selling and installing about 10 per week due to economy. You cannot bolt cutter them. You can only use a torch (which would take too long).

Guys/Girls; Buy the damn locks before everything gets stolen. It's $80 per lock, install it yourself or have someone install it for you. Just please help out the Landscape community by trying to ruin the day for these thieves whom make a living this way. Spread the word. A downed economy will assist with a rise in thefts. Not slow it down. More people are not working and need money to make ends meet.

We should start chopping off hands as punishment for theft like they do in Iran/Iraq.

Toy2
02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
I talked to a sub contractor/concrete, Friday, he said a guy drove up and walked into the business/Austin at 4:30Am told the security guard he had a job in South Texas, security opened the gate, guy drove out with the truck and trailer, leaving his personal truck behind....

7:30am, crews arrived....one crew is missing a truck and trailer........

yep, $27K was the value of the crap taken/tools/trailer/truck, PD arrives, truck left behind is stolen.....

People are getting some big testicles....

wimpy
02-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Do you know the names of the better bolt cutter proof locks? I'm thinking about getting some locks as well, because I'm sure the crap at the regular stores for 20-40 bucks aren't gonna hold up to a determined thief. Question I have is, are these locks unpickable?(if they even exist). If the only way to get through those locks is to torch it, then that seems pretty good to me.

You have any model numbers and brands I should be looking at?

Woody82986
02-19-2009, 01:14 AM
The name of my security game is redundency and overkill. I have my trailer locked to my truck with 2 different cables, all my equipment is locked to eachother and the trailer several different ways. The tailgate is locked by cables in the upright position and I back it up against a rock wall at night. I know that if someone wants my stuff, they will end up getting it... but I want to make damn sure they get pissed off at the time it takes to get to it all. My hope is that they will see that it will take more than a few minutes to break all the locks and un loop all the cables and chains and they will just move on to an easier target. They can't risk making too much noise because they will wake up several different neighbors who live very very close to where I park. It's really crappy that a guy has to go to all this trouble just to attempt to protect what he has worked so hard to gain. It is my sincere hope that each and every person who gets caught trying to rob someone of tools that are vital to their livelihood gets to be Bubba's love slave in prison for the rest of their lives. Maybe then these kind of people can learn a little something about feeling violated.

topsites
02-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Yup, wouldn't hurt to spend some money on security.

tamadrummer
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Another huge help is to have theft insurance. My ded. is $100 and everything is insured for $100 more than the cost so I can get what i need for a claim.

I pay like $500 a year for the insurance.

Locks and stuff are great and I keep my stuff locked all day on the trailer and lock up my trailer in the garage at night but my locks can be cut and stuff gone while I am around back of someones house.

Drew Gemma
02-19-2009, 07:40 PM
We live in the country more and more on our county road we are seeing more traffic. More break-ins more theft more strange ppl trying to sell crap ( aka scope out your property). One we have security cameras that cover record and store everything that goes on anywhere on the farm. I installed it all myself and it records to computer and can be seen on my cellular phone anywhere (about $1,000). Then we have 3 huge outside dogs one bites and at night he is turned loose and he hates everybody (good luck).

Last but not least we are armed heavily. My wife can shoot and will no questions asked if I am not around. The worse it gets more trash from the city comes this way. I have signs posted and everyone around here knows I don't screw around.

We had problems 10 years ago. The dog woke me up at 2:30 am on a Tuesday he was going crazy so I look out the window they were breaking into the Barn (all the tools and cars are parked their). I grabbed the 45 and another rifle. I circled around and started firing they shi! their pants. Then I let the dog chase them through the field. Sheriffs picked them up about an hour later walking down the road they got lost running from the dog. I will not tolerate any threats to myself, my wife, my property, my livelihood or any member of my family. When you come on my property uninvited you are gambling with your life. We literally are on our own out here 45 min response time from police.

I can not tolerate thieves don't cut off their hands cut their throats!

hondarancher4435
02-19-2009, 08:11 PM
We live in the country more and more on our county road we are seeing more traffic. More break-ins more theft more strange ppl trying to sell crap ( aka scope out your property). One we have security cameras that cover record and store everything that goes on anywhere on the farm. I installed it all myself and it records to computer and can be seen on my cellular phone anywhere (about $1,000). Then we have 3 huge outside dogs one bites and at night he is turned loose and he hates everybody (good luck).

Last but not least we are armed heavily. My wife can shoot and will no questions asked if I am not around. The worse it gets more trash from the city comes this way. I have signs posted and everyone around here knows I don't screw around.

We had problems 10 years ago. The dog woke me up at 2:30 am on a Tuesday he was going crazy so I look out the window they were breaking into the Barn (all the tools and cars are parked their). I grabbed the 45 and another rifle. I circled around and started firing they shi! their pants. Then I let the dog chase them through the field. Sheriffs picked them up about an hour later walking down the road they got lost running from the dog. I will not tolerate any threats to myself, my wife, my property, my livelihood or any member of my family. When you come on my property uninvited you are gambling with your life. We literally are on our own out here 45 min response time from police.

I can not tolerate thieves don't cut off their hands cut their throats!

well put couldn't have said it better myself

grass_cuttin_fool
02-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah about 2-3 years ago another LCO in town bought fancy locks for his trimmer rack...while he was in back of a place mowing they took a battery powered sawz-all and just cut the trimmer rack from the trailer and took the entire thing with them...rack and 4-5 trimmers....locks will slow them down but if they want it.....they will figure out how to get it

lifetree
02-19-2009, 09:55 PM
... while he was in back of a place mowing they took a battery powered sawz-all and just cut the trimmer rack from the trailer and took the entire thing with them...rack and 4-5 trimmers ...

Damn, I didn't think they would have kahuna's like that ... guess I was wrong !!

MileHigh
02-20-2009, 02:02 AM
It real hard to keep an eye on your stuff being solo...

Much better with a second man.

muddstopper
02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
We adverage getting ripped off or vandalized about twice a year. Our equipment is of such nature you dont just take it with you. Usually the thieves do more damage to the equipment than the value of the tools they steal. Last year after being hit twice, the big boss told us to start keeping all handtools in the tool box of the truck. This worked real well, until they stole the truck.:laugh: We then got a rental truck and two weeks later they broke into it. You cant stop a real thief, if they want it, they are going to figure out a way to get it. All locks do is keep a honest man honest. They dont keep a theif out.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Damn, I didn't think they would have kahuna's like that ... guess I was wrong !!

Yep....said he was only out of site of the trailer less than 10 minutes