PDA

View Full Version : Help from the pros

nccutter
02-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Looking for any suggestion on how to light this driveway. I don't want to have to weed eat around lights all the time. It's about 50 yards long. Thanks for the help

Lite4
02-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Theres nothing to light. What do they want runway lights? You could always install the Evening star paver lights if that is the look you want. There are no planters or trees to lights along the driveway so you are extremely limited on your options.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-08-2009, 04:34 PM
You have to sometimes stop a client and ask them: "Why?"

What is the intented purpose of lighting that driveway? Cars have headlights and they will wash out any LV lighting that you put along the driveway. If they want to walk the driveway after dark they might like some light to guide their way, but the options on that property are very limited. Installing postlights along that fence would look very contrived. Similarly installing path/spread lights along either side of the driveway would look awful.

I would advise the client to spend their money elsewhere.

Regards.

NightLightingFX
02-08-2009, 04:40 PM
This is a great example to hear other professional oppinions. I think the first question would be why you want to light it. Is it for aesthetics, safety or both.

This looks like an asphalt driveway. I think it would be difficult to put any kind of fixture in or on the asphalt??? - pavers or the integraliter. Correct me if I am wrong. You could line the driveway with paver hardscapes and put in paver lights, but I would assume the paver hardscapes wouldn't be secure probably look like crap, and would fall out of place.

Probably the most aesthetic thing to do is create a planter area on each side of the driveway plant some vegitation or trees that can be effectively lit up and go from there. I would like to hear some other ideas on how to light the driveway.
~Ned

BrandonV
02-08-2009, 05:12 PM
if budget isn't important I could run you up some 20-30' trees down the left side there and then you could shoot some down lights onto the asphalt. If they're wanting the runway look the paver idea Ned just suggest ain't a bad one. But if it's security they're after I'd start with lighting the house.

StoneFaced
02-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I think way too often folks try to do too many things out of sequence. It's a nice property, but is really lacking in curb appeal, and I see great potential. You need to do a thorough assessment of your clients needs and wants. A budget also needs to be established. Even if you sell them a lighting package, they may not be satisfied w/ the final results, as the money could have probably been better utilized elsewhere. The worst thing IMO is to create a drive that looks like a landing strip. I'd start w/ the basics, which means starting w/ a plan/design. In the process of the interview, you should become equipped w/ the answers to the necessary questions that you will have, which will lead you in the direction of which way to go and where to start. Most people can't afford to do everything in one shot, which is why you have a plan and a budget. The lighting is one of the last things to be installed on most of my projects, although I'm a stickler about running pipe chases w/ the future in mind. Phase work not only helps me outsell my competition, but gives me future work on the table...instead of a one time deal. Your clients will appreciate it, and brag to the neighbors about "what's next", and that is one way to become the talk of the neighborhood. It's your job to lead them once the above mentioned criteria has been established, then you can lead them to the best answer(s) to resolve their problem. If you can learn to do it well, other contractors will cringe when your there, because they will all be trying to sell the same...and it foolishly becomes just a price war.

The Lighting Geek
02-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Asphalt is impossible in this case. No targets unless you use the fence. I would buy a case of white reflectors, glue em down, and call it good. Let the headlights do the work of delineating the driveway/road.

Tomwilllight
02-08-2009, 05:44 PM
The message below was posted by nccutter on another thread earlier today. Enough said.

Tom

Help

I am not in the lawn care business...just a homeowner looking for some advice. I live in Greensboro, NC. My problem is ONIONS!!* How can I get rid of them. As you can see..they are the only thing...

Mark B
02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Well, you could mount some spread lights on top of the fence post. Like maybe every 5 post.

Pro-Scapes
02-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Ned hit this one. Do beds along the driveway first. I think the fence would be too far for a path spread light. There would be the illusion the driveway is closer to the fence than it is and cause people to misjudge the turn in.

Do the beds first then consider lights. I would light the house for now if anything.

PROCUT1
02-08-2009, 10:11 PM
This should work

Mark B
02-09-2009, 10:17 PM
That is better then my idea. You might have to go with 24v system.

nccutter
02-10-2009, 06:44 AM
That's too funny...Where can I get one of those?

JoeyD
02-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Novas installed with the flat shroud, not angle cut, on every other post uplighting them!!!! DONE!!

nccutter
02-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Thank you...I looked at their types of lights on their website. What type exactly would you recommend?
Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate your time.

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Looking for any suggestion on how to light this driveway. I don't want to have to weed eat around lights all the time. It's about 50 yards long. Thanks for the help

Can you find out a "budget" for landscape/lighting. You will have to do something about the lack of landscaping along the driveway. If they have deep pockets plant and create beds to light. Sound like a "fun" project.

LightYourNight
02-13-2009, 02:54 AM
Doesn't really look like they have spent very much money on this house or landscape. Looks like a property that should have a post at the end of the drive. Not that I like that idea much. They could spend 10 gs on trees and light those... but ya right

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Better yet, $100K on a nice landscape in the front yard and a further $10K-$15K on lighting it.

2009 should be an interesting year guys. get your 'remarkables' on!