PDA

View Full Version : Moss and clover problem

grassman222
02-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I have a few questions to ask . Q1. on a few of my jobs i have a few problems one being the moss and two being the clover , how can i take control of these without doing major damage to the lawn ? most of the lawns im having the problems with are obviously in a very shaded area , and i was told that moss does most of its growing in the winter , i geuss because its free to go were ever it wants . i'm in south jersey so the soil here is well sand . but if anyone could help me out in any way (Chemicals or other)i would appreciate it . :usflag: :waving:

Kiril
02-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Long term solution is to identify and correct the causes of the problem. First place you should look is your soil ... pull some soil tests.

greendoctor
02-08-2009, 11:23 PM
The other solution is a chainsaw. I do not like dense shade where lawn is the intended ground cover. If the shade is caused by a building, the area is a candidate for a rock and paver ground cover. Many of my clients have been told there is no magic spray to fix grass that gets less than 6 hours of sun per day.

PSUTURFGEEK
02-08-2009, 11:23 PM
In the meantime use Quicksilver as an additive or by itself, this product is labled for both.

tremor
02-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Iron sulfate heptahydrate will kill moss during the growing season. Being a cheap iron source the turf will respond by getting a little darker green. I've heard of folks using the granular Scott's product intended for DIY homeowners but I've only sold & used the sprayable. 1 pound per 1000 in 1-2 gallons gets it done. Be prepared to reseed ASAP. Mother will always have something grow there.

Do correct lighting, drainage, compaction & pH or it'll be back to moss in no time.

Clover is easy. Even the cheapest 3-Way herbicides work well if applied properly.

grassman222
02-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the replys anything else let me know :)

Rtom45
02-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I think both moss and clover are indicators of low fertility. It should help just to increase your fertilizer over the course of the growing season.

PSUTURFGEEK
02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
You are on the right track but fertilizer alone will not solve the problem, take golf courses for example, at one time I was working at a top 50 course in the united states during my internship and we were very on top of our soil on our undulating greens and we still had moss problems right at the slope of where they broke, at the time we used Dawn dish soap and warm water @ 12ounces of soap per gallon of water, the nice part about this practice is if you have some underlying insect issues they will come to the top with the soap.

Now if I had the same situation I would be using Quicksilver very carefully as many golf courses are starting to use this practice for many other issues also.

As for the clover, there could be many reasons the clover is a problem, I don't think the increase of nitrogen is always the answer, I have had properties that have been on the program for a long time at adequate fert levels and clover can still be a major issue being that it has the amazing ability to produce it's own Nitrogen, another great use for Quicksilver, as an additive it will toast clover in a day or two.

sevenbarefootlawns
02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I've had great results with momentum on clover in the past and although I've never used it personally guys say ferrous sulfate will kill the moss. PSU I'm curious about the dawn dish soap. Never heard of it, could you give me a quick schooling on how it works?

grassman222
02-12-2009, 07:01 PM
thanks i also would like to know about the dish soap :waving: