PDA

View Full Version : anyone use liquid fert in low volume applications aka ride ons??

grassman177
02-08-2009, 07:10 PM
i was curious and the question was asked of me a few days ago by a lawnsite member. i have my sales man looking into any options as to ferts that are low volume applicable. curious as to price vs dry as we do now and not to plug up my nozzles on the zsprays and not to burn with the concentration.

any of you ever try this and how did it work and what did u use? thanks for input.

greendoctor
02-08-2009, 07:49 PM
How low are you talking about? Also, fertilizers applied in less than 2.5 gallons/M will need to be watered in immediately after application. I apply 1/2-3/4 lb N through a boom at 2 gallons. At least half of the total N is SRN. If I am not operating under those parameters, it is sprayed at up to 5 gallons/M.

If you are thinking about liquid iron, that can be sprayed at low volume, but never on turf that is drought stressed. In fact, nothing other than water should be applied to turf that is drought stressed.

CHARLES CUE
02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
i was curious and the question was asked of me a few days ago by a lawnsite member. i have my sales man looking into any options as to ferts that are low volume applicable. curious as to price vs dry as we do now and not to plug up my nozzles on the zsprays and not to burn with the concentration.

any of you ever try this and how did it work and what did u use? thanks for input.

I guess we do semi low volume 20 gal per arce half that is fertlizer alot lower volume than a hose works just fine i guess you could go a lot lower and do more apps but why that would just take more time and fuel and thats money
the price per th is a little higher and no it dont plug up the nozzles the fertlizer is a liquid and no the fertlizer we use dont burn at the rate we use
hope this helps a little
Charles Cue

greendoctor
02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I guess we do semi low volume 20 gal per arce half that is fertlizer alot lower volume than a hose works just fine i guess you could go a lot lower and do more apps but why that would just take more time and fuel and thats money
the price per th is a little higher and no it dont plug up the nozzles the fertlizer is a liquid and no the fertlizer we use dont burn at the rate we use
hope this helps a little
Charles Cue

How much N and K is going down per application? For golf greens, sports turf and the kind of lawns I maintain, 1/4 lb N per month is not unreasonable. I use a 28-0-0 SRN and that translates to 16 oz/1000. During the rainy season here, I apply no more than 1/4 lb per month. Keeps the grass green and reduces fertilizer runoff.

grassman177
02-08-2009, 10:19 PM
we app at 1/2 gal per 1000. so i figured it would burn. rain in soon after app is not possible many times, . it may be a bad idea, but trying to get feedback on anyone that has tried this at the volume i am using. thanks for the replies

turfsolutions
02-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I spray liquid fert with iron out of my z spray. I use the grey nozzles which will apply 1.2 gallons of mix per 1000 square feet. My 18 gallon tank will cover around 15,000 square feet. Not too low volume but you do need to refill the tank often. I usually mix it with my fungide aps which is key because if you spray liquid fert in my area at the wrong time you will be fueling the fungus fire and have major disease issues. Be careful.

CHARLES CUE
02-11-2009, 09:04 PM
How much N and K is going down per application? For golf greens, sports turf and the kind of lawns I maintain, 1/4 lb N per month is not unreasonable. I use a 28-0-0 SRN and that translates to 16 oz/1000. During the rainy season here, I apply no more than 1/4 lb per month. Keeps the grass green and reduces fertilizer runoff.

Sorry for the late reply but i also use a 28-0-0 srn plus 0-0-25 we put down .63 lbs of N and and .14 of k per th i seen some where on my fertilizer label to do golf greens at a 1/4 lbs every 10 days that seems like a lot but are greens warm season grass never been on a golf course most of my lawns are cool season lawns accept for a couple part zoyia grass lawns i treat 3 times per year
Charles Cue

greendoctor
02-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Sorry for the late reply but i also use a 28-0-0 srn plus 0-0-25 we put down .63 lbs of N and and .14 of k per th i seen some where on my fertilizer label to do golf greens at a 1/4 lbs every 10 days that seems like a lot but are greens warm season grass never been on a golf course most of my lawns are cool season lawns accept for a couple part zoyia grass lawns i treat 3 times per year
Charles Cue

Greens are either bent grass in the North and hybrid bermuda in the tropical areas. 1/4 lb every 10 days is 3/4 lb per month. I use up to 3/4 lb per month on some lawns that need it. I am doing this 12 months out of the year. N rates are adjusted according to weather conditions. With N being cut if there is more than a few days of cloudy weather or under 75 daytime temps. No sun and cool weather means the grass is unable to utilize the N. My mix is typically 28-0-0, 13-0-45, and 46-0-0 or 21-0-0 dependent on the lawns need for sulfur or soil acidification.