PDA

View Full Version : Do you make your employees...

Tim Canavan
03-05-2002, 01:14 AM
pay for their uniforms in whole or in part? Why or why not?:cool:

landscaper3
03-05-2002, 01:23 AM
We pay for there uniforms, summer 5 t-shirts, 1 polo shirt, fall through spring, 3 sweatshirts and winter jacket all done up with business name and logo. If we lay them off or they quit they must give back all uniforms in acceptable condition. If not we charge them for whats missing or damaged (all done on last check) they cant have there last check till this is done, as part of us hiring the employee they signed a statement that they agree to this procedure.

gogetter
03-05-2002, 06:02 AM
Here's a thread about this from ast year:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=12306&highlight=paying+for+uniforms

HBFOXJr
03-05-2002, 08:07 AM
Ditto on landscaper3

TOSLC
03-05-2002, 01:09 PM
I supply them with shirts and as many of them as they need. If they want to wear them to play ball, or after work hours. . . GREAT!!! Free advertisment!!!

LawnLad
03-05-2002, 09:14 PM
At company cost, we provide the following:

6 short sleeve t-shirts: 6 x $10.00 = $60.00
2 long sleeve t-shirts: 2 x $15.00 = $30.00
1 base ball hat: 1 x $10.00 = 10.00
1 3 season jacket: 1 x $55.00 = $55.00
1 windbreaker: 1 x $25.00 = $25.00
3 sweatshirts (hooded/crew): 3 x $28.00 = $84.00
1 Carhardt jacket (embroidered logo) = $80.00
Assorted gloves (leather, jerseys, water proof): about $20.00
Hearing protection: $18.00
Eye protection: $5.00
Small duffle bag (new this year): $12.00
Pruners: $35.00 (assuming they know what they're doing)

Approx. Total Cost = $435.00 per new hire

The employees are responsible for the following:

Leather work boots (steel tow optional)
Carhardt bibs/overall
Blue jeans or blue twill pants - clean, not ripped, etc.
Blue jean shorts/twill if desired
Good working knife

Not everything listed above is exactly as it comes out. For instance, summer hires or those that I'm not sure will be around, won't get the winter wear. Only those working year 'round, later into the fall or early in the spring.

I require all uniform items to be returned washed/clean upon departure of the company except the hat. I certainly don't want our logo prancing about in the bars and in public unmanaged - who knows what people will see. I usually throw most of it out. However, the 'like new' materials I will offer to my existing employees to supplement what they already have. It makes good disposable clothing for garage work in the winter or to simply supplement what they have.

This year we will start using the duffle bags (which are not that big - about 14" long) to hold their hearing protection, googles, etc. each day. They were getting left in the "other" truck or lost overnight or damaged. I got tired of the excuses - so now, I've taken away the excuses. Full responsiblity (though it was still up to them before) is now with the guys. Anything lost/damaged they pay to replace. If they wear it out - I'll replace it no cost.

At the end of each year at our "holiday" dinner, I have given them embroidered apparrel items. Denim shirts, sweaters, twill shirts, fleece jackets, etc. The guys who have worked multiple years have more items. When we goto trade shows, etc., they have stuff to wear - and it marks time. The new guys ask, "Hey, where did you get that?"

Obviously I'm a believer in uniforms, and that the company should pay for them. I provide them with a lot of it with many options so they can dress for the weather. The more comfortable they are, the more productive they will be. As well, they look good. It's not cheap, and has evolved over the years. You most likely can't do it all at once. Our annual budget for uniforms is not cheap - but if you buy in bulk, it's not that bad. As well, if you get a good supplier, he can help with some of the "just in time" type inventory control.

I'm looking to add pants as a possibility - or at least subsidize the guys on pants. Perhaps boots as well, but this may be a year or two. As well, I'd like to add booney hats or bush hats as an option to the uniform. But I can't find a brand that makes S,M,L,XL hats in each size. Rather most are S/M and L/XL. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Tim Canavan
03-07-2002, 01:59 AM
Thanks for your imput everybody. It will be put to good use.:cool:

HBFOXJr
03-07-2002, 08:43 AM
What, no watch any where in the equation?

I also think a pen and calculator are a must.

LawnLad
03-07-2002, 08:54 AM
Pagers & Nextell's... isn't that enough Harold? You can tell time off of these. Come on, what do you want, a truck too?

ohiolawnguy
03-07-2002, 01:20 PM
lawn lad, give me a truck, and i will take the job-LOL

Always Green
03-08-2002, 01:18 AM
We give our men

7 T-shirts
1 Hat
4 Pair of shorts
3 Pair of long pants (2 more pair if we keep them over the winter)
3 Sweat shirts
1 Carhart Jacket it we keep them over thw winter

If they ruin any thing they must show the office manager at the end of the day and if it's in the nornal corse of their work I will replace it , if they did it goofing off or on their own time they replace it.
We take back anything thats in servicable shape and give out to the other men they will use it when we are clearing lots or doing other really dirty jobs to save on their good stuff.

Gloves turn in a pair of worn out ones and our office manager will unlock her magic locker and give you new ones same for ear plugs and safty glasses, if you lost them you replace them.