PDA

View Full Version : What to do with yard?

12Valve
02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
My cousins yard was a disaster, lots of weeds everywhere so I sprayed it last fall with roundup and killed everything so we could start over with tall fescue. I areated and overseed along with starter fertilizer around the first of october. Well he didn't do too good of a job watering it and there some bare spots still in it that he wants me to fix. The rest of the yard is looking good.

What should I do... should I aerate it agin and put more seed in the bare spots and then wait how long to start mowing??? Waiting to fall to overseed is the last choice.

1.2.3. green
02-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I WOULD AERATE IT AGAIN ,OVERSEED @2-4lbs PER K. RAKE BARE SPOTS AND SEED HEAVY,APPLY 10-10-10 GRANULAR FERT. LET IT GROW TILL LIKE 6" THEN SLOWLY START TAKING IT DOWN TO HEIGHT NO LOWER THAN 3 1/2":nono:

White Gardens
02-09-2009, 02:25 AM
I WOULD AERATE IT AGAIN ,OVERSEED @2-4lbs PER K. RAKE BARE SPOTS AND SEED HEAVY,APPLY 10-10-10 GRANULAR FERT. LET IT GROW TILL LIKE 6" THEN SLOWLY START TAKING IT DOWN TO HEIGHT NO LOWER THAN 3 1/2":nono:

Good advice, but you don't have to wait until it's six inches.

Biggest mistake is not mowing it, you want to wait, but not too long, and even then use a push mower or string trimmer for the first cut. When you mow new grass it helps to produce a stronger root system.