PDA

View Full Version : What the lighting world needs now........

MAGLIGHTING
02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
is love sweet love. That too but I had something else in mind. Like how about a totally innovative inexpensive and reliable wireless remote control system designed especially for low voltage landscape lighting systems. That is simple and easy to use for the homeowner but has some really nice features and doesn't require an EC to install. Doesn't require filters or repeaters/boosters/phase couplers etc. Works through walls and doesn't require a direct sight line from controller to receiver. Pluggable and hard wireable devices

Durable and weather resistant
Remote Dimmability with adjustable ramp rates
hand held remote options
LCD touchpad with customizable icons
wall mountable or desktop
scene capable
status reporting
astro timing
Remote programability
Intuiitive

None of the controls available now have all these features

All these features and reasonably priced too.
I'm not asking for too much am I?

Pro-Scapes
02-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Its funny you mention that. There is a desperate need for such a product.

I like the simplicity of an x10 system... no computer programming but it just leaves alot to be desired when it comes to dimmability and signal strenght often needing a phase coupler or repeater.

Most of you know I do alot of UPB stuff but some new issues have concearned me. I have ironed out some of the bugs I had as well. When installing any powerline devices a phase coupler is now mandatory for me. A simple coupler install will save you money in service calls.

A panel gaurd is also now installed on each project. Just 2 weeks ago I had a service call that 2 of the 4 transformers on a project were not coming on. I arrived to find the upb switches not responding. Client also stated they lost a cable box due to a power surge. I replaced both switches and installed a panel gaurd. All is well but it took 2 hours under warranty. (switches were replaced free by manu.

2 years ago I saw a zwave controller that looked great. Nice attractive wall mountable screen with remotes etc. But it lost me at the zwave which is a RF signal I think and it will not go thru metal transformer cabinets. I wanna say it was an intermatic system. Very handsome looking but fell short of features.

I would ultimatly like to see a system that could offer the plug and play simplicity of good ol x10 but at the same time be capable of advanced programming of UPB. Nothing like setting the porch lights to come on at the appropriate level so your lighting scene is not trashed when they flip them on.

Eden Lights
02-09-2009, 09:13 AM
While IF someone could accomplish these things it could be a very sucessful and would be very desireable for the masses, BUT if it doesn't require EC install it would be very limited in its ability to control much other than transformers and maybe the secondary side of things. While I agree this is where the money is to be made and there is tons of work being done and has been done to accomplish this task.

Eden Lights
02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
I will also add that this product field is full of patents that greatly reduce futher innovation.

Also please add a LAN interface for ipod support, this $220 interface can sell thousands of $$ of control for you.

Lite4
02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I think ABT was on the right track with their wireless technology, however they were extremely limited in their offerings. Some forward thinking engineer could probably take their product to the next level to what you are talking about Mike. Just like LEDs, I don't think it is a matter of IF but rather WHEN we will see something like this on the market.

The Lighting Geek
02-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Seems to me that Unique was working a control system using UPB like components. Check with Joey.

JoeyD
02-09-2009, 05:07 PM
We have developed a subpanel type device that has UPB capabilities. This device however would only be used on larger scale projects with Multiple transformers. I should have some more info around here I will try and dig up to share.

Good to see you posting here again Mike!!

MAGLIGHTING
02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
We have developed a subpanel type device that has UPB capabilities. This device however would only be used on larger scale projects with Multiple transformers. I should have some more info around here I will try and dig up to share.

Good to see you posting here again Mike!!

Thanks Joey!

worx
06-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Does anyone have any recent projects with an ABT wireless device installed? How has it held up and is the performance reliable enough for you to use it again? Are there any other wireless products with more capabilities?

Lite4
06-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Does anyone have any recent projects with an ABT wireless device installed? How has it held up and is the performance reliable enough for you to use it again? Are there any other wireless products with more capabilities?

I have a few out there. I had one receiver go bad on one of my transformers and it wouldn't accept new programming but warrantied it out no problem. I am actually installing another ABT unit tomorrow on a Unique 840 I-Force with the wireless wall switch inside the house.

klkanders
06-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Tim,
I have not used the ABT product. If possible could you take some pictures of your application tomorrow and post them here? It would be better than just seeing a brochure for the product. Thanks!

Keith

djt22
06-16-2009, 11:42 PM
I hear ABT's Motion Sensor is due out very soon have not heard of any real issues with it. I just helped a contractor control some 110 volt lighting with it and have another contractor ready to control some 110 volt and 230 volt waterfall pumps on a project. Keith check out there website they have a video of how to install the product. It is actually very easy to install after doing it just once.

klkanders
06-17-2009, 12:29 AM
djt,
Thanks for the info!

S&MLL
06-17-2009, 01:31 AM
The range is AMAZING. Atleast 300' with no direct line of sight.

Pricey but will use again.

Also wish they would make an all on button

Spilllight
06-17-2009, 04:43 PM
It's the small gauge wires that make the connection to the terminals that has me concerned. Also to me, it seems like failure city. The site did mention some of the other transmitters are limited to 100'. Sorry, I'm just not a fan of RF tech. If all the waves in the air had color, nobody would be able to see the tip of their nose. Maybe when they use more microwave tech. i'll get curious again. But, I guess if you guys are having good luck with it I'll keep my eye on it too.

Lite4
06-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Tim,
I have not used the ABT product. If possible could you take some pictures of your application tomorrow and post them here? It would be better than just seeing a brochure for the product. Thanks!

Keith

My FOLD delivery didn't make it today so I will get some photos for you tomorrow David.

Lite4
06-17-2009, 06:25 PM
It's the small gauge wires that make the connection to the terminals that has me concerned. Also to me, it seems like failure city. The site did mention some of the other transmitters are limited to 100'. Sorry, I'm just not a fan of RF tech. If all the waves in the air had color, nobody would be able to see the tip of their nose. Maybe when they use more microwave tech. i'll get curious again. But, I guess if you guys are having good luck with it I'll keep my eye on it too.

ABT also make the medic alert tags. You the "I've fallen and I can't get up" technology. It has to be incredibly reliable. This is what I have been told anyway.

djt22
06-17-2009, 08:29 PM

Spill are you speaking of the wiring on the ABT?

I tested the range on it having a display set up in the back of the supply house went outside to the main street at least 750 foot away in front of another office building with no clear line of sight and worked like a champ. I can not see this having issue working on a Residential system.

Spilllight
06-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I am speaking of the ABT wiring. If you have a common terminal loaded with LV wires then put ABT wires between the common and the LV lines will they be able to handle the Amps?

The transmition you mentioned is impressive. Thanks for the reply.

Lite4
06-18-2009, 09:52 PM
The ABT will handle 900 watts between 3 circuits. Each circuit handles 300 watts for individual control.

djt22
06-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Spill I am not following your concern of the size of wire?

Spilllight
06-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Connecting 10-12g LV wires to smaller gauge wires on the control device. Sometimes in the terminal connection there are several wires. Depending on the zone there could be more load than the control device can handle for a single "ON". Maybe I'm missing something.

Lite4
06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Connecting 10-12g LV wires to smaller gauge wires on the control device. Sometimes in the terminal connection there are several wires. Depending on the zone there could be more load than the control device can handle for a single "ON". Maybe I'm missing something.

you can only load up to 300 watts per zone. You shouldn't have ten wires for 300 watts. As long as you plan your zones accordingly you won't overload them.