PDA

View Full Version : Working out of a short bed truck?

South Florida Lawns
02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm currently looking at used diesels and finding a bunch of extended cab 3/4 tons, but not a whole lot of regular cab long bed trucks. Right now I have the 8ft box on my chevy, how much will I hate life working out of a 6ft bed? I mostly put palm trimmings in the back and what not. I don't bag clippings or deal with leaves and I will be getting a 6.5x16 open landscape trailer. I wonder if I can get away with it? I don't want a boat of a truck either if you know what I mean.

Lakewlc
02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
if you getting an open trailer you should be fine.

TXNSLighting
02-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I have the 6 1/2 ft bed and hate it. I cant wait to get in another long bed. After you put your tool box in you have no room for anything!

4.3mudder
02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I have the standard 6 foot bed on my 04 chevy, with a tool box. I guess it is alright. I only haul firewood, and sometimes palm limbs and other misellaneous things. But as stated, if your getting a open trailer, you can put whatver in the extra unused room. If you going to be using the truck for other things like parking in parking lots to go to home depot or walmart without the trailer, the longer the truck is, the harder it is to park and maneuver. But, the longer thr truck is I have noticed, that they are easier to handle on the road, not a whole lot of wandering with the wind and what not.

Junior M
02-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Short beds suck, they especially suck to work out of...

nnj18
02-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Ryan, its not as bad as I thought it would be and with an open trailer to fill you'll be fine. You can put barrels in it, a few blowers or trimmers if you need to or a 36" wb....

South Florida Lawns
02-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I still will have the enclosed with me 90% of the time while mowing, I guess if push comes to shove I won't put a tool box on and just build more storage in my trailer.

nnj18
02-09-2009, 07:36 PM
yahhh, with a tool box you'll be pushing it....

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I have a short bed quad cab....and I love it......it holds my 6 ft dump insert just right

I hate long beds with extended cabs..

SNAPPER MAN
02-09-2009, 08:05 PM
SFL, both of my trucks are shortbeds with toolboxes in them and they work great for me. I can still fit a ton of stuff back there and it is alot easier to drive around and imo looks better. I think short beds are the way to go.

JPsDuramax
02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I currently have a 04 2500hd Silverado with a 6.5ft bed. I used to have a 1500 long bed and loved it. The short bed works but its not easy. But it is easier to park having the crew cab w/ short bed.

westcoh
02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I'd say keep looking for a long bed, you'll be happier in the long run than if you settle for a short bed. I know for me with some jobs the back of the truck is full with the toolbox, shovels, rakes and everything else, so it's nice to have as much space as possible.

PlatinumLandCon
02-09-2009, 10:10 PM

Why would they suck if you didn't work out of it? All a long bed does is add 18" of PITA if you didn't work with it. Chevy short bed is 6'6" so that leaves 5' after a tool box.... can't complain.

LindblomRJ
02-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Not a fan of shortbox pickups. A long bed is the way to go.

Junior M
02-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Why would they suck if you didn't work out of it? All a long bed does is add 18" of PITA if you didn't work with it. Chevy short bed is 6'6" so that leaves 5' after a tool box.... can't complain.
I was saying they suck all around imo.. I dont like ours cause we never have enough room for anything..

Petr51488
02-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Never had a short bed, so i cant comment there. All i can say is i have 3 long beds and sometimes i wish they were longer!

dura to the max
02-10-2009, 11:16 PM
i personally hate working out of a short bed truck...after the tool box there is no room for anything. there is no room for materials when landscaping, especially when you have to throw shovels in at an angle b/c they wont fit longways. for a work truck long bed is a must. and really once you get used to it a 4 door long bed aint that long...i drive one pulling a 16' trailer and can get anywhere in it.

DLAWNS
02-11-2009, 01:26 AM
I love the long beds, but if you find a killer deal on a truck, don't pass it up over that unless you think it will really hinder your daily activities. But if it isn't that great of a deal then keep looking!

FYS777
02-12-2009, 08:24 PM
i personally hate working out of a short bed truck...after the tool box there is no room for anything. there is no room for materials when landscaping, especially when you have to throw shovels in at an angle b/c they wont fit longways. for a work truck long bed is a must. and really once you get used to it a 4 door long bed aint that long...i drive one pulling a 16' trailer and can get anywhere in it.

I agree with you, once you get used to it,
i've got dodge quad, 4x4, long bed with 16 foot trailer also, no porb.:weightlifter: :cool2: take your time you'll find the right one,

dura to the max
02-13-2009, 08:23 PM
and really it doesnt take that long to get used to...i learned from necessity, and now its second nature.

stroker51
02-14-2009, 12:39 PM
I've got one of each, a Crew Cab short bed Ford 250 and a Super cab long bed F250, and with the big weathergaurd box on my long bed, that bed isn't much longer than what I have left in my short box with a smaller box up front. IMO if you are gonna be using it for your personal truck too, you need to get either a short bed ext. cab like you're talking about or a regular cab long bed. I dont mind my long trucks, but i had a crew cab long bed dually for a while, and it just got to be a PITA to drive in a lot of places. You got an enclosed trailer you can keep all of your tools in, and with the flatbed trailer you've got you material hauler. If you find a ext. cab short bed you like, get it. The only thing is that I know on the 03 and up Dodges the short boxes are like 7" or something shorter than a Ford. My buddy bought a set of side boxes for his 03 Dodge, and they wouldnt fit on there with his front box, the tailgate wouldn't close, so we measured my short bed and his short bed and mine was, I think close to 7" longer.

whosdennis
02-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Junoir said it best,

DBFlawn
02-17-2009, 04:56 PM
okay im not gonna lie. i have no experiance of lanscaping out a short bed or long bed. but i do have to say if you have a short bed with an extended cab couldnt you use the extended cab as you tool box? i dont know if this would be a PITA but to me your tools would be locked in the truck at all times and you still have the full 6'6' i think someone said it was to work out of.

DBF

topsites
02-17-2009, 07:08 PM
I guess it depends how much crap you usually have in the bed,
but speaking for myself the order of selection when it comes to
buying a truck is price vs. functionality first and foremost.

That takes the utmost priority, everything else comes later, so by the time I look into color (light
colors are cooler in summer), engine size (mpg), looks, accessories such as A/C and a working FM,
shoot by the time I'm halfway pleased a lot of things get left to chance rather than choice.

I have a short bed quad cab....and I love it......I hate long beds with extended cabs..

Same here, they suck trying to get turned around, worse still with a trailer.

I'd say the best trucks are either ext.cab short bed, or reg.cab long bed.

Junior M
02-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Same here, they suck trying to get turned around, worse still with a trailer.

I'd say the best trucks are either big cab short bed, or reg.cab long bed.
We ran extended cab long beds with 30ft long trailers (My brother drives a CCLB and pulls a 20ft between the axle and he has no problem) for years and never have a problem, its all what your used to, its a little scary at first cause its so freakin long, but once you pull it a couple times its just like pulling a 10ft long trailer...

johnnybravo8802
02-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I have a 1500 Dodge with a short bed and toolbox and it sucks as far as putting something in the bed. I even have to turn my weedeaters sideways. However, I bought it in 03' with no intentions of doing what I do today and I got it for looks. I've out grown it and will be stepping up next time. Short beds aren't practical to do a lot of work out of, period.