PDA

View Full Version : Advice on starting out

eric3807
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey Everyone,

So I'm starting up my own lawn care business. I'm a Firefighter and need a part time job to supplement my wife taking off for a new addition to the family. I know with a schedule like mine it is hard for an empoyer to give me the hours I need. So I figured I go this route and be my own boss and make my own schedule and probably be more profitable than working at Lowe's or Home Depot. I'm thinking of naming my company "3rd alarm lawn care" to try to incorporate the firefighter gimic. I need some help with some slogans. I'm starting out bare minimum so if it dosen't work out I'm not losing my a$$ in the whole deal. Any info would help. I have a friend that dose bulk mailing so was thinking of targeting an area with flyers, about 1000, to try and get some accounts. Again any info would be greatly appreciated. I've read some realy good posts on here and figured the people on this forum would be able to help. Thanks in advance.

Take it easy,
EJ

mowerbrad
02-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I would not spend money on mailing, I know that you will have plenty of time to drive around and slip flyers in newspaper boxes (not mail boxes). Since you don't know how well you will do, the best thing that you can do is to not spend a whole lot of money, and mailing will get really expensive. And then spend some money on magnetic signs for your truck, that way when you drive around, you will be advertising. And with your schedule you should have plenty of time to be mowing, depending on hour your station runs their shifts.

Fleur De Lawn
02-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I would not spend money on mailing, I know that you will have plenty of time to drive around and slip flyers in newspaper boxes (not mail boxes). Since you don't know how well you will do, the best thing that you can do is to not spend a whole lot of money, and mailing will get really expensive. And then spend some money on magnetic signs for your truck, that way when you drive around, you will be advertising. And with your schedule you should have plenty of time to be mowing, depending on hour your station runs their shifts.

The only calls I have got from my magnets are to buy my mower. I got alot of accounts last year in one neighborhood by putting business cards on the door with a price. I figured in that neighborhood the avg yard would be $35. I got about ten and some I should charge more but on avg I do them in 30 min. Thats 70 bucks an hour. Try to get some used equipment, but get commercial not residential.

I like 3 alarm better than 3rd alarm.