PDA

View Full Version : Weed control in Dirt-driveway

Catcher
03-05-2002, 09:04 AM
Hya there to all the fine people keeping America's lawns beautiful.
I have a question:

I have a dirt drive going to a pole-building which is flanked by lawn on both sides (~12' wide by 150' long. Occasionally the lawn will creep into the drive, trying to get established as well as weeds of all varieties making serious attempts to take root.
So far I have been lugging around a spot-sprayer to do battle with the unwanted growth (Ortho and Triox vegetation killer), this is getting old - the drive's too long and I have to re-fill the thing 3 times to get it all done. The other problem beeing that I'm mainly applying the toxic in spots onto the weeds, this means that I have to come back later to get all the ones that were pre-emergent when I sprayed.
One solution would be to get or build a small boom-sprayer to roll along the drive and cover the entire area. Seeing how this is the only area I'm applying liquids I'd rather not have to have another piece of equipment cluttering up space. Is there an effective granule-type weed/ growth control that I can apply with my spreader?
If I have to stay with liquid, what is a good substance to effectively keep growth out of the drive for a long period (possibly something the homeowner can obtain)?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

stslawncare
03-05-2002, 05:03 PM
well if possible gravel is better then dirt. how about a boarder along the drive, plastic black boarders are cheap. how about converting ur spreader into a sprayer? its farely easy.

awm
03-05-2002, 08:07 PM
use a soil stirulant. makes it so nothing can grow in this soil for a couple yrs . havnt used it lately but the product i used was deadzone. man it ment it to.do not get any where close to desirable plants.it leeches real bad

Russo
03-17-2002, 09:50 PM
AW has the idea! But if leaching sterilizing agents scares you, try a pre-emergent herbicide like SNAPSHOT( high$ but good stuff ) or DIMENSION which both are granular. This will minimize your use of post-emergent herbicides like Round-Up. We use 'em in plant beds and it works great. Don't see why it won't work in a dirt driveway.......
This won't stop "creeping grasses" from spreading but will put a hurtin on new weeds. A LESCO dealer would have these products and I believe they work for 4-6 months.

Good luck, Landscraper

Catcher
03-18-2002, 07:34 AM
Thanks all,
a granular product would be prefered, I guess I'll have to experiment.
My other thought was fabricating a small cart (2wheels, handle) put a 5 gallon container with a boom (close to the ground) on it and have some room left for a small air-pig. This way you could just fill 'er up and snap the pig on it - ready to go. It would save a lot of trips to the faucet, pumping,etc and cover the area more evenly .........