PDA

View Full Version : So who on here run hooklifts

threeleafllc
02-09-2009, 05:45 PM
New to the forum been lurking around for a while must say its a geat place ...
just checking if other landscape guys use the hooklift setups..
we have a 2007 ford f550 with a amarican 12k hook And a 2004 kenworth t300 with stellar 20k hook
Allen
Three Leaf LM

threeleafllc
02-10-2009, 05:54 PM
so no one has or runs theses trucks?

talus
02-10-2009, 09:23 PM
I like the hooklift option myself. Looking for somthing used. I Still don't have the cash yet though. I think there are a couple guys on here with them.

threeleafllc
02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
our f550 hook will be for sale later this year you should come check it out if ur interested
Allen

BrandonV
02-10-2009, 09:50 PM
we have a switch-n-go, a bit cheaper and they had the landscape bed I required.

threeleafllc
02-10-2009, 09:58 PM
what size landscape body do u run ?
it wouldbe geat if i could get a pic of that body
thnks Allen

stuvecorp
02-10-2009, 10:08 PM
New to the forum been lurking around for a while must say its a geat place ...
just checking if other landscape guys use the hooklift setups..
we have a 2007 ford f550 with a amarican 12k hook And a 2004 kenworth t300 with stellar 20k hook
Allen
Three Leaf LM

You have to share some pictures, sounds like a nice fleet.

BrandonV
02-10-2009, 10:22 PM
what size landscape body do u run ?
it wouldbe geat if i could get a pic of that body
thnks Allen
couple of pics, the landscape bed works great, it's just a bit steep though, but the walker gets up and down quite eaisily

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112275&stc=1&d=1214017697
landscape bed
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=117444&stc=1&d=1219020507
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112277&stc=1&d=1214017717

threeleafllc
02-10-2009, 10:34 PM
wow i really like that body ... How about your loading angle when u are pulling the bed up onto the truck.can u leave the equipment on the bed when not in use?We were going to have a body built for our 550 that would be almost the same but my loading angle is way to sharp to swtch bodies with any kind of turf equipment on. That a reason the swicth and go is nice lower loading angle.
Here is a pic of our ford when it was new ... Ill get some current ones of the Kenworth and Ford tomorrow ..

syzer
02-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Just worked a deal with a buddy picking up an ampliroll al90s only 12k lift but really all I need. Looking for an Isuzu FTR to put it on now. It will be nice to have it set up!

ConstSvcs
02-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Another Switch-n-Go owner here. I have a few containers and a flatbed with beaver tail for hauling my mini-ex and CT322 when I'm lazy and don't feel like hauling a trailer. I'll have to take a few images of the flatbed and mini loaded. Here's another S-N-G container shot :

BrandonV
02-11-2009, 07:30 AM
wow i really like that body ... How about your loading angle when u are pulling the bed up onto the truck.can u leave the equipment on the bed when not in use?We were going to have a body built for our 550 that would be almost the same but my loading angle is way to sharp to swtch bodies with any kind of turf equipment on. That a reason the swicth and go is nice lower loading angle.
Here is a pic of our ford when it was new ... Ill get some current ones of the Kenworth and Ford tomorrow ..

the only problem with the bed when loading is those front feet you HAVE to watch them because they WILL hit the fenders. You could defiantly leave the equipment on there if it is strapped down, I haven't tried it myself though, no sense having you $$$ walker fall off a truck.

Gravel Rat
02-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Pound for pound a conventional rolloff hoist will out work a hooklift. A switch and go has one drawback is you loose some body space with the front corner of the box is sniped. With a switch and go you will never run out of power you will pull the winch off the hoist.

Hooklifts have their place but for every day durability and strength a conventional hoist is the way to go.

threeleafllc
02-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I have to agree with u Gravel Rat ..But For our application the hook was the way to go.. we are changing containers 5 to 8 times a day going from dumpster,hydroseeder,barkblower,salt spreader,water tank,moving equipment from old factories were we push the can or flatbed into the loading dock doors .. it dumps like a dump truck I'm not sure if sng dumps with high dump angle but i do know a conv cable hoist does not. the only way i could have had a high dump angle and conv cable was going with a dead lift hoist and i didn't really like the set up that they demoed for us..After all I'm no expert in this subject .. I have never even seen or operated a sng hoist never even crossed my mind because when we built the kenworth they did not offer a sng for that size truck...
I snapped some pictures of the Kenworth today ill post them up later
..i must say this site is great so much info and there are plenty of people that can have a intelligent conversation about the business
thank you Allen
Three Leaf

EA Quinn
02-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Heres a few shots of our roll-off. It has proven to be a great multi-faceted tool! We use it for the following tasks....we also haul snow with it in the winter time and haul equipment around.
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112610&d=1214346430
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=98265&d=1201543695
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59322&d=1151526491
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=74946&d=1173277519
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124225&d=1225395469
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=110648&d=1212525404
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=110632&d=1212519583

threeleafllc
02-11-2009, 08:55 PM
EA Quinn That is a great set up u have there .... Is that the manchester landfill in one of your photos..Seen your equipment in a lot of towns around us, your stuff always looks good..My hat is off to you..
Allen
Three Leaf

EA Quinn
02-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Hauling some snow.......

allinearth
02-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Could a rolloff like SNG be built by a decent fabricator fairly easily. Haven't seen one in person but it wouldn't seem like there is much to it. Winch, rails and maybe some rollers. Of course a hoist.

Gravel Rat
02-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I was going to build one myself its easy enough to do. You really do need a scissor hoist which really isn't the greatest but its the only thing that will work to tilt the rails. Now you would buy a scissor hoist that has the subframe with hinges. Then buy some rectangular tubing I would use heavier stuff than what SNG uses they only use 1/8 in my mind thats a little thin go with atleast 3/16s. Now you can go with rollers for sliding the box on or just go steel on steel like a conventional hoist. If you wanted to build something the same as a SNG then you would need tail rollers to guide your can onto your truck. Myself I would make conventional overhang rails yes you loose some dump angle but you also have some support on the ground when you pull a heavy can on the truck.

I drove conventional rolloff (tandem axle truck 60,000lb hoist) you start pulling a heavy can on the truck it will make the front tires bounce.

With the switch and go you don't have that option so when your pulling a heavy bin onto the truck the suspension on the truck bottoms out and the front wheels can possibly lift right off the ground. This could lead to a interesting ride if you let off the brakes. Once you get the can started up the rails its fine the weight moves forward.

Now with a hooklift you do enounter the same problem that swing arm is lifting pretty much half the weight of the load. Also with a hoolift your boxes have to be stronger because your taking all the weight on the rear rollers on the box the once it hits the guide rollers you have more concentrated weight on the long sills of the box. I have seen 40 yard bins bend and flop around had one where the side almost gave out. I almost crapped myself when I looked in the passenger side mirror and seen the side bulging out. Put the box back on the ground cross chained the door that held it together.

Like I said I was going to build a conventional hoist for my truck never did thou. I already had a telesoping post hoist brand new I really didn't want to spend another 1400 dollars for a scissor hoist. I was going to use 2x6x3/16s rectangular tubing for the rails and a 12,000lb Warn winch to pull the box on. I was going to mid mount the winch and have a head pulley at the front of the rails. That way I could have bin pull all the way to the front of the rails.

The biggest drawback of the switch and go is the front of the boxes are sniped. You loose 20 inches or so right there. You need as much weight forward as you can especially if you mount it on a F-450-550 style truck.

For me a rolloff would be for convenience you can drop the box on the ground much easier to load or you can have a few boxes so if one is full you can grab another. If your in the rubbish removal business like I'am part time you can't let a home owner load a bin. The materials have to be separated into categories the landfill will not take a mixed load. If you dump a mixed load they will charge you 100 dollars per hour for them to sort the load.

Wood waste is ground up for hog fuel any debris in it can't be ground up. Say you tear off a cedar shingle roof you need to remove ALL the tar paper from the cedar shingles. Metal is recycled the only thing buried is what you can't recycle. Your not allowed to dump cardboard it needs to be separated.

Any time you leave a garbage bin at a homeowners place they throw everything in to it. Now you have to dump the bin and reload it or charge the customer a big chunk of money because now you have to re-sort the load.

When ever I do a mixed load I load the truck so it comes off in stages ie metal,wood waste, bagged garbage. I have to run over the scale 3 times for the 3 different items. I could have 500lbs of scrap metal which is cheaper per ton and 2000lbs or wood waste on top of the scrap it costs more per ton then 300lbs of bagged garbage. Depending on who I'am working for I can have the scale operator just charge me for a total load which will cost the home owner a extra 50 to 100 dollars. Homeowners squirm like h*ll when you have to get rid of drywall (gypsum board) at 300 dollars a ton just for dump fees.

I have been doing rubbish removal for almost 15 years now hauled everything from old junk cars to 30 years worth of junk out of a basement nothing surprises me anymore. Homeowners always ask are you sure you can do this. I'am a one man band I can get old deep freezes up 2-3 flights of stairs. Some jobs take 4-5 hours just to load the truck.

The last job I did was a estate clean up I was packing bags of garbage out of the basement I thought I better check whats in them. Opened the one bag there was a full box of bullets un-used for a 30-06 :dizzy: Homeowners threw everything into bags.

I try not to do grunt work anymore I tell the homeowner you get it moved up the 4 flights of stairs and the 200 foot walk to the driveway I will get it from there :laugh:

The best thing about being in the rubbish removal business is see the homeowner happy and impressed that all the junk is gone especially when I can get it all in one load. After 15 years you learn how to get allot of junk onto a 12x8 flatdeck with 10 inch sideboards I can stack up 4 feet high.

mrsops
02-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Heres a few pics of mine, 2007 f-750 american hooklift

threeleafllc
02-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Nice unit mrsops love to see another ford hooklift
Is that a 16k lb or a 20klb american
Allen

mrsops
02-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Nice unit mrsops love to see another ford hooklift
Is that a 16k lb or a 20klb american