PDA

View Full Version : Zone 10+ landscape designers: what would you do in these areas?

Chrysalis
02-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey all,

Big beautiful house right on the intracoastal in Fort Lauderdale Florida.

Woman seems to be spending more money than god so price is no object, although she says "give me a good price and you've got the job" so I dont want to highball too much. I sold her to the idea of a nice bubbling rock on the right side of entrance.

Old Chicago brick is out and new pavers going in today.

Front of house faces west.

Marc

Chrysalis
02-09-2009, 05:35 PM
More pictures of sides and back

Chrysalis
02-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Even more pictures of the front, with ChiBrick removed

yamadooski
02-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Are you the hardscaper or the landscaper? If you are the hardscaper and trying to do the landscaping I wouldnt do it. Im in Tampa would love to come down and do that for you.
I speacilize in waterfront tropical landscapes.
First of all would rip out all plant material except the palms. The Ti is over grown and the Crotons are hideous, the Foxtail fern needs more sun it looks scaggly.
It looks like a huge job and to sit here and tell some one how to design on the computer is a little hard.

Lite4
02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Needs some lighting. I think I need to move to the south, you guys have all the nice, lush plants there. Looks like a fun project. Don't cut yourself too short on pricing.

White Gardens
02-10-2009, 10:53 AM
That looks like it would be a great moneymaker in the end.

Chrysalis
02-13-2009, 05:14 PM
lighting came out to 11,000. as for the landscape, the GC says the budget is 5000 for the back and two sides. i think he is crazy but i am oging to work with what he told me. maybe a plant every 10 feet or so. :)

marc

EagleLandscape
02-13-2009, 08:52 PM
just plant all 1 gallons.
thats 500 1 gallon plants:)

White Gardens
02-13-2009, 10:08 PM
lighting came out to 11,000. as for the landscape, the GC says the budget is 5000 for the back and two sides. i think he is crazy but i am oging to work with what he told me. maybe a plant every 10 feet or so. :)

marc

I'd try to do something simple to clean it up, so you can easily come back in to do another 7-8 grand minimum in "upgrades". But don't, don't sacrifice any quality to complete the whole project. That and you might want to plant varieties that can be split easily at install or 3 years down the road. Some 1 gallon plants you can get 4 new plants after splitting.

I'm guessing the economy is hitting everyone. Even people with disposable incomes have a limit and I'm hearing of more and more people that are watching their budgets closer to pay off large amounts of credit card debt.

yamadooski
02-14-2009, 07:46 AM
I would not come here from up north to do landscaping. You will have price budget shock.
Our wholsale plants are way cheaper here than up north and most landscapers us the 3 times cost method and you will find youself losing money.
Plus the plants are even cheaper in Miami - Fort Lauderdale than in Tampa.
There is no way I would move to Miami are for landscaping.

Florida Gardener
02-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Who the heck did the initial landscaping?? Waayy too many palms and stuff just seems to be thrown together. Some good choices i would def go with is the goldmound/green island ficus/plumbago/white angel begonia/queen emma crinum lillies/ variegated ginger/flax lillys/etc. Along that wall some ficus repens would look pretty sick. That whole place needs a good re-do. Work with the customer. Don't underbid but do the landscaping in stages.