PDA

View Full Version : Topdressing material

MORTS4
02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Homeowner wants me to topdress their yard after overseeding. I usually use sand to topdress, but what type material do you use to cover seed? It is a small yard, too small for power spreader, what methods do you suggest I use for spreading topdressing?

treegal1
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
good compost or worm casts.....

TScapes
02-10-2009, 08:33 PM
I agree with treegal. Use compost and take a few wheelbarrows and dump evenly apart from one another throughout the yard. Then use a rake to spread it out evenly. You generally want about 1/4" coverage or so. It works great!! You can also do a search on YouTube to see a variation of exactly the process I am referring to.

MORTS4
02-10-2009, 08:47 PM
so I should thatch, aerate, cut the grass as short as possible, overseed and then cover with a good compost? Would steer manure work for that? Thank you for you help guys.

treegal1
02-10-2009, 09:00 PM
OLDDDDDD steer manure that does and this is key!! does not smell at all, the older the better....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08vqQX9gCDo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDPEeLcoc8o&feature=related

MORTS4
02-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Thank you very much for the help.

MORTS4
02-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Great videos too!. Thank you

MORTS4
02-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Instead can I use a 50%compost and 50% mix from the local nursery?

TScapes
02-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Yes, a mix of compost will work too. Like the video shows, aerate first, then seed and follow by compost. If you do use straw to cover, make sure that you go extremely light. You don't want too much on. It is basically there to help keep moisture in and keep the soil (compost) in place.

MORTS4
02-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Will this work as well if this is done on existing lawn for renovation?

treegal1
02-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Yes................

MORTS4
02-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Excellent. Thank you so much for your help.

treegal1
02-11-2009, 09:32 PM
yeah no prob. if that mountain explodes you owe me some ash......:laugh:

Barefoot James
02-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Easy way is to load a wheel barrel and blow it out with a high power backpack blower - you get dirty but you can blow out about a yard in 20 mins with 5 or 6 loads - covers about 5000 sq ft. that guyin the video did not need the straw. But that little 2500 ft lawn took him about 3 hours. i could have gotten better results in 1.
BTW use mycorrhizae fungi too

MORTS4
02-12-2009, 12:04 AM
i really never thought of spreading material like that. It sounds like fun to try. Treegal : if this mountain blows i hope that i am still around to get you some ash. They have small containers of ash that you can buy at the mountain viewpoints. Did you want some? Thanks to all of you for your help.

treegal1
02-12-2009, 12:26 AM
I have a small sample now, I want some fresh post bang stuff.:laugh::laugh: you proly get a kick out of us and our hurricanes:waving:

yes the blower works, just plan on a compost baptism, yes even in the shorts...

bubenberg
02-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Homeowner wants me to topdress their yard after overseeding. I usually use sand to topdress, but what type material do you use to cover seed? It is a small yard, too small for power spreader, what methods do you suggest I use for spreading topdressing?

you first want to put down the topdressing material, then seed and aerate see topdressing procedure (http://www.topdressing.biz/index.php?id=4)

Barefoot James
02-17-2009, 11:11 AM
If all you are doing is overseeding - to me this means broadcasting?? Then for sure spread about 1 yard of finished compost/ covers 5000 sq ft over the top of the seed to ensure some seed to soil contact. The compost will help cocoon the seed, protect it and give it nutrients and help it stay moist.

The best way to spread the compost is to fill up - wheel barrel and wheel it to the spots and blow it out (thin layer 1/16 inch - with high power back pack blower) out around the wheel barrel and move to another spot, and another, until all the area is covered with a thin layer of compost over the seed. I would also buy some ICT 123 from ICT organics and spray when done and again when it starts to germinate. ICT has mycorrhizae in it and will help the seed to germinate and grow once germinated.

If you can get a slit seeder or a power seeder from a rental company (like a Turf Revitilizer) you will have much better seed to soil contact and germination rates than just broadcasting the seed. then top dress with compost. Sand will do nothing to help germination or feeding of seed.

Also remember to cut grass short before broadcasting or powerseeding.

bubenberg
02-17-2009, 11:18 AM
our properties that our installers do are around 10,000 sqf and up. We would go broke with your wheelbarrow suggestions. Thanks for the comeback :)

Kiril
02-17-2009, 11:34 AM
good compost or worm casts.....

Compost does a soil good! :waving::clapping:

Barefoot James
02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Well it is good for me that our properties are only about 5,000 sq ft. We can do up to 20,000 sq ft in an hour with this method - but we cheat cause we use a loader so we don't have to load the compost. So how much are you charging per 1000 sq ft to seed, feed and top dress?

We try to offer help to others on this site - real world application stuff. This particular person is probably broadcasting seed - do you really think he has an eco lawn or earthway? Most dont. We would love to have them but don't.

bubenberg
02-17-2009, 11:55 AM
but one is not supposed to promote your own business even though this is only and educational website that i have carried for 4 years by myself *trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*

MORTS4
02-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Again thank you all for your information. this site is great to smash ideas off of eachother. Just one question. Which is better seed then topdress, or topdress then seed?

treegal1
02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
seed then topdress

MORTS4
02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
I am going to use a dropseeder to overseed after i aerate and cut the grass close. I was thinking of using a small broadcast spreader with a large throat to spread the topdressing. What do you think?

Barefoot James
02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Dude - I say dude when folks are not listening. I do this Full Time - pay for two kids in college - so I guess you can say I sort of know about seeding.

Read the past posts??? Did it say anything about top dressing with a broadcast spreader - NOOOOO. You ask for input we give it to you and... do what ever - I'm out.

MORTS4
02-17-2009, 08:27 PM
first settle down. No need to get fired up on a rookie. I don't have a blower pack. I am trying to make do with what I have. Not all of us that start out have most of the equipment we need. I am bringing up ideas that i have to see if anyone has tried them. Typically what this site is for. This site is like two neighbors in the same business are standing out in front of their yards, drinking a beer and shooting the "you know what" about what techniques they are using. So relax, grab a beer and if you don't have anything positive to say about a reply simply don't.

treegal1
02-17-2009, 08:42 PM
mort, easy.....
james and i are trying to see who can become the most unpopular tonight.:laugh::laugh:, see the smiles' = JK.

if you are going to do any top dressing you need a blower, try a pawn shop or equip auction or ebay, but you need one. as far as the topdressing start off with a shovel and a race and a BLOWER. under 300$ at HD. if this is out of the question go to work for a lawn co and save the green to do what it takes to get into a multi million emerging industry.

then after you get say 30 customers you will see the value in a pro top-dresser. worm bins and the works.....

well thats the 50th person i pissed off today.... james how you doing....:laugh::laugh:

MORTS4
02-17-2009, 10:44 PM
thank you treegal, i have a handheld blower. How early do you start to mow after you see sprouts. do parts of the existing lawn need to be mowed during the seed is germinating?

Barefoot James
02-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Well we give away information and wham - next thing you know they are telling us to drink beers and chill.

So tree I guess mort is not happy so I have one.

How many you got?

Hard to believe a dude is doing lawn care and does not have a blower - yet he has access to an aerator?? Go figure

yes mort try to use a broadcast spreader to top dress compost and tell us all about your results, take pics and do a video.

Just funnin with you dude but the idea proooably won't fly - you got a rake or is that ... never mind?

MORTS4
02-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Happy? I'm not the guy who chewed someone out online. Its ridiculous. I got all kinds all day, but I can see i don't have enough to take the edge off of you, but don't grind your axe on me. How did you start? Did you have a Blower? Ever heard of a broom? Sounds like an organic solution. Right? Good for the environment. You push, i push back. Access to an aerator is pretty simple concept when it comes to renting. I won't charge a client for rental of a blower. You don't like a question i post, don't respond. I have respect for what you do and how you do it, but i am not attacking you. I am just responding. How many other people do you bash on here?

TScapes
02-18-2009, 03:30 PM
if you are going to do any top dressing you need a blower, try a pawn shop or equip auction or ebay, but you need one. as far as the topdressing start off with a shovel and a race and a BLOWER. under 300$ at HD. if this is out of the question go to work for a lawn co and save the green to do what it takes to get into a multi million emerging industry.

This is strictly an opinion Mort. You don't need a blower. Your broom will work fine. Just cut the turf short, rent an aerator like you originally planned... overseed (drop or broadcast), then dump several wheelbarrows of compost about 10-12' apart from each other. Start off with two piles. Take your rake (a concrete rake works great... it is fairly large, with a straight edge on one side and then teeth on the other) and push and pull the compost evenly across the existing turf. You can also pitch it from the piles, any way works as long as you get it out as even as you can. Make it stretch! Remember, you are just shooting for a 1/4" of compost. Just enough to form a thin layer across the lawn. Once you do a couple of piles, then you should know about how far to place the future piles. This is your learning curve.

This is definately labor intensive, so you will get a good workout!:weightlifter:

Then use your broom and sweep up any debris or mess you made on the sidewalks or drive.

Have Fun!

MORTS4
02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Perfect. Thank you for your help. I appreciate your patience.