PDA

View Full Version : Partnership

LanierLandscaping
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
I started doing work last fall I have enough stuff to form a pretty good start up this spring. I did this with the help of my parents so i owe them about 2000 plus i paid 1300 for an enclosed 6x10. I have a buddy who mowed all last year with his ex friend but he screwed him over. My friend wants to keep mowing and knows what hes doing, plus hes great with people and has about 15 yards hes bringing with him a few being pretty large. He doesn't have any equipment but is a hard worker with connections. I was thinking of asking if he wants to come one board for a set per hour wage until I get my money back then making it 50/50 or such. how would you guys go about it?

cgll1135
02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
sounds like a plan. Make sure you visit a CPA or an attorney to set up your partnership.

LanierLandscaping
02-10-2009, 07:44 AM
ok what should i try to set up?

JB1
02-10-2009, 07:48 AM
I have always wondered why everyone feels the need to set up a partnership.

bohiaa
02-10-2009, 09:08 AM
A front man can bring a lot to any Business, however useually he's the one that winds up dressing nice going around getting customers, talking to people, then doing the ordering and book work.

It sounds like you would be out in the field doing the labor, are you confortable with this ?

mowranger
02-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you already have a partnershp with your parents, do you really want to split everything 50/50 and what happens when you have a falling out?

hackitdown
02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
You are in business, think like a businessman. What would a businessman do? Giving up 1/2 your business to a guy with 15 accounts is sketchy, and probably pointless. Trust me on this, you will never know this man until you do business and work with him.

If he has no equipment, he's got no use for those 15 accounts. You could offer to service those accounts for him short term until he decides to buy equipment. On your terms, at your rates, billed by your company. As a friend, you could offer to hire him to work the accounts at a fair market rate until he gets his own business going, then transition the accounts to him upon his request, whenever he wants.

IF he gets his act together and buys equipment, you still have a good friend, and you made a little money helping him retain his 15 accounts. If he never get his act together, you get the accounts, and a good employee. I place my bet that he never gets his act together.

LanierLandscaping
02-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Ok I think what Im going to do is offer him $5 per yard her gets and $10 an hour to help. If he desides he wants to get some stuff and start mowing we deside how we work that. It'll still be like paying him under 15 an hour and will really get me started. I only have 8 yards right now.

FourTrees
02-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I think the message here is ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT A PARTNERSHIP.

Not trying to deflate anyones bubble. Partnerships RARELY work someone almost always gets screwed. Your parents have already partnered with you. They are probably your safest bet.

Your friend "has" 15 lawns. Get your own lawns. It is easier than you think. A mowing company is just to small to support two people. By the time you pay him and then your parents. We'll you should have enough for a couple of dates.

I have a lot a friends in this business and we share ideas and help each other at times, but no partners. I'd like to keep these guys as friends. Look at your friend he has already been through a bad partnership. And nothing against your friends but in life there are two sides to nearly all breakups.

Good luck.