PDA

View Full Version : Here are a few water features from this year.

tdmill2
02-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Hi,

This is my first time posting. I've enjoyed reading and viewing everyone’s work for quite some time. Just thought I would share a few pics from our water features installed this year.

I would love to get some constructive criticism. I'm really trying to create natural and artistic environments using water.

So, let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Travis

scooterbug311
02-10-2009, 10:36 AM
i like all of your work. did you do the hardscaping as well? i like the different size rock that you use. i really like the moss. that adds some real nice detail to your streams. I think the only thing i could suggest is maybe using some small river rock and pea gravel in the stream beds themselves to add the icing to the cake. maybe have done that and you dont like that look but i have found it adds just the right touch. keep up with the great work. Where are you from?

tdmill2
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
scooterbug,

Thanks for the reply. I did all of the hardscaping as well.

I've been thinking about using some smaller gravel/river rock, etc in our streams. However, my thought is that it's easier to clean and maintain a feature with stone that will stay put. It seems that the smaller material will move around while blowing out leaves or during a spring cleaning.

I've also followed up on a stream installed by another company where small river rounds were used near the pondless basin and some of the gravel had been sucked into both pumps. The pump impellers were jammed and the pump intakes were damaged.

Does anyone else have thoughts on using small gravel/river rock in pond free water features?

tadpole
02-10-2009, 02:18 PM
In any Water Feature utilizing an in-ground reservoir, I would stay awau from pea gravel. Use only Egg Rock or larger. Just for the reasons that you yourself stated.

XStream Aquatics
02-10-2009, 04:26 PM
I've used pump socks(small mesh bag with draw string) over the pump before to keep pea gravel away from impeller.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
I've used pump socks(small mesh bag with draw string) over the pump before to keep pea gravel away from impeller.

Do you ever have a problem with it clogging.

XStream Aquatics
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Home owners check it monthly as part of their routine maint.

XStream Aquatics
02-11-2009, 07:04 PM
I have done this once before on an existing pondless installed by another company.

XStream Aquatics
02-11-2009, 07:07 PM
sorry I forgot to say what I did. We used the bottom of a container, it was a little bigger than the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, yeah some gravel might fall in the bucket but most fall to the bottom of the basin.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Home owners check it monthly as part of their routine maint.

Say what? Your customer actually check thier features out.

Venturewest
02-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Beautiful streams. That is a great before and after photo at the start of this thread. The hardscape, plantings and feature tie in so nicely and add a ton to that property. I bet the clients are ecstatic.

scooterbug311
02-12-2009, 01:03 AM
i agree venture. it is so simple and that is sometimes best. some people over do it and to me it becomes more cluttered then anything. it is nice to see landscapers doing stuff the right way.

n2h20
02-12-2009, 01:49 AM
i do not like to use small gravel in my ponds, nor do i like them in any other pond. Maybe the stream if it cant make its way to the main pond. It provides many pockets for sludge to collect and is a pain to clean. I even cement all my larger rock (in the pond) in place to eliminate pockets for debris to collect.

tdmill2
02-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for every ones nice replies. Here are a few more pics.

The first is of a bench we built from a natural stone slab and two boulders found on site. It was very tedious work. But, the end result is solid, stable, and very comfy. It's a great place to sit by the stream and unwind.

The next is a nice view of a small stream, pond and backyard we renovated.

And, then a few more pics of our work from this year.

Thanks again.

BSDeality
02-17-2009, 11:04 AM
i do not like to use small gravel in my ponds, nor do i like them in any other pond. Maybe the stream if it cant make its way to the main pond. It provides many pockets for sludge to collect and is a pain to clean. I even cement all my larger rock (in the pond) in place to eliminate pockets for debris to collect.I just want to point out that cementing rocks in a freeze/thaw climate is not recommended. I've repaired countless ponds that have been cemented to try to change the path of water or solve leaks. In time they all crack and seperate and leak again. So while this may leak in Sunny CA, it's not going to work in northern climates.

I also do not like to use pea gravel in our ponds either, it jams up pumps and is impossible to clean!

Nice work btw,