PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner pesticide guide

shovelracer
02-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I have been toying with the idea of having a pamphlet to hand out to prospective clients that are on the fence as to hiring an applicator. These are the people that will hire you if you can sell them on it, but otherwise will do it themselves. Homeowner results usually are poor due to improper understanding of what they are doing. The purpose of this is to first explain a little about what is going on, second to scare them just enough to not want to do it themselves, and lastly if they are a maintenance client, but self applicator maybe get them to at least read the label of what they purchase. I by no means wish it to scare people away, but wish it to draw in a few more applications.

I believe that educating the consumer can and does increase sales, but the consumer is also easily confused and overwelmed so this is intended to be simple and easy to understand. It is by no means intended to be a replacement guide for proper understanding of applications. Lastly it is not how it would be handed out, but the information is what Im leaning towards as far as detail.

Please review if you wish, and comment on additions or subtractions. Thanks for the time.

RigglePLC
02-10-2009, 06:51 PM
What? Too much reading of fine print and not enough pictures. Explain how you will use products safely and how your expertise will benefit the cutomer.

turfsolutions
02-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Personally I think a website would be a better tool to provide that kind of info. One mistake I saw is that you criticized for watering during a rainstorm. Actually, there are many times when that is precisely when you should be watering.

Quick rainstorms will not provide adequate water to penetrate deep into clay soils. Since the foliage is already wet after a shower, you might as well provide the additional needed irrigation at that time, rather than wet the foliage again at another time. Plus the rain has soften the soil so the irrigation will penetrate the soil as well.

jbturf
02-10-2009, 08:02 PM
i like the idea of what u r doing
think its a little long winded for the consumer though,
would also touch on the fact that alot of the "Homeowner grade"
products the customer applies themselves contain pesticides

maybe try an stick to your main topic a little more, and create a whole nother flyer
on proper cultural practices and such
g/l

MStine315
02-10-2009, 09:29 PM
i like the idea of what u r doing
think its a little long winded for the consumer though,
would also touch on the fact that alot of the "Homeowner grade"
products the customer applies themselves contain pesticides

maybe try an stick to your main topic a little more, and create a whole nother flyer
on proper cultural practices and such
g/l

Agreed. Some other ideas would be, if it rains following a broadleaf weed control, the customer is s.o.l., vs. a professional company that a) is more likely to be attuned to the weather and probably not apply, and b) if they do, a reputable company will reapply at no charge. Another point is the cost of the products and time it takes, which is a bigger factor in people's lives these days. Maybe get some pricing for homeowner products locally and do a cost/benefit analysis for various sq. footages showing homeowner cost vs. your's? Of course only if you can use it to your advantage. Do you use liquids? If so, they are far superior for broadleaf weed control to the control with granular homeowner products, which are hit and miss at best. I'll stop rambling now, but maybe these ideas will be of some use.

MStine315
02-10-2009, 09:44 PM
The more I think about it, I'll keep rambling, lol. Products like Scott's 4 step come in prepackaged amounts for 5M and 10M. What if you have 7M or 12M? You'll have leftover products that will set up with humidity, have to find space in the garage, etc... Then, you have the chance of rover or the kids getting into them. (True story, my sister used sevin dust as baby powder when she was about 3 or 4) You can apply products when the kids are away, during the weekdays, vs. Dad doing it on Saturday when the kids are running around behind him and the spreader. You'll have to figure out the verbage, but you could write a novel to hand out to people if you think about it long enough.

shovelracer
02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Some good suggestions. I was aiming for more of an explanation of proper cultural practices, but got lost somewhere in the typing. I didnt realize how long it was until it was done. Its a first draft as Im just looking for ideas.

I agree it would be best done on a website as you could have links to specific topics. The watering comment is correct, but I was thinking of days where we have had 2" of rain, its lightning, and the system is still going. Not so much the problem of the watering as much as the homeowner has failed to learn how to adjust the system or even install a rain gauge.

We all know the answer to what you do with the leftover fert. You just put it on the front lawn since that is what your neighbors see and after all green is better. J/K