PDA

View Full Version : newbie confused about going legit in Michigan

sslopok
02-10-2009, 12:52 PM
I am a teacher in Michigan and want to do about 10-12 res. lawns weekly to make some extra coin. I will be the sole owner operator. I will only be mowing and blowing.
I am really confused how to get this legit. Is it cool to just go to the county clerk and get a DBA, commercial insurance for the truck, trailer, and equipment, and liability insurance and go mow? I was hoping to just do the taxes at the end of the year. Looking to keep this as simple as possible, but do not want to get busted or something.
I looked online for LLC stuff and it seems like a pain.
Would appreciate someone clearing things up a bit for me.
I used the search and did some reading but I am still confused.

Brandon
08 SCAG Freedom Z 52" 26 horse Briggs

Grassmechanic
02-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Your on the right track. You can go register your bus. with county clerk as a DBA. Then you have to register in city or Twp where your business is located. Then get your ins. You can do your taxes at year end.

bdbwtie1
02-11-2009, 09:04 PM
not to hijack his thread or anything, but does any one know the rules as far as DOT numbers?? Considering a DBA and the vehicle in personal name under commercial insurance??

sslopok
02-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info! I wasn't digging the idea of the llc and other b.s.
Thanks
Brandon

Runner
02-11-2009, 10:46 PM
sslopok,
You are right close to me, and I will be happy to assist you in any way I can to get started. For your DBA, just go down to the county clerks office and file. You wil then want to get insurance. I have a hookup on insurance and can save you a bundle compared to any other company out there. You can do that on the same day you do your DBA, since th agency is right downtown, also (in the Mott bldg.). Where do you teach? Clio? if so, what school? I would be happy to help out in getting some work up there in that area, as well...since I do not take any mowing up there (I'm phasing out of mowing in lieu of other operations).
Regarding the DOT #'s, they are required for all commercial vehicles...which will now include any lettered truck that pulls a trailer. Here's the kicker...any commercial truck is required to be lettered. there are many standards and laws involved here, and I will try to look up the link that has much of this info. We are blessed to have a member here that is law enforcement officer and is a weighmaster for the Kent County Sheriff Dept..

sslopok
02-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Runner,
Thanks for the info. Yes, I teach in Clio at Lacure Elem. I appreciate the help. Right now it looks like I am @ 4 yards for sure. I think I can get 2 more close to these other ones. I would like to get like 4 more weekly mows. So if you know any in the area please let me know.

Are they strict about the dot #'s? Are they a pain to get? Your hookup on insurance sounds like what I need!!

Thanks for everything
Brandon

chepamab
02-12-2009, 11:23 AM
We got an llc, it's much easier when filing taxes.

hsieh
02-12-2009, 04:55 PM
what's a DBA? i called the county where i live and they said you don't need a license for mowing.

Ruben Rocha
02-12-2009, 05:20 PM
what's a DBA? i called the county where i live and they said you don't need a license for mowing.
DBA stands for Doing Business As.
You have to decide what type of business you want to be.
DBA
INC incorporated
LLC limited Liability Corp.
Partnership
ETC.
It has nothing to do with a license.
It is really how you will be taxed on a local,state,Federal level.

As far as your county goes they may not require a license per say.
But I bet they require a occupational license. Which is really a tax paid to the county or city you will be doing business in.