PDA

View Full Version : Using paver as fiberglass pool coping extension over concrete deck

KFISCH
02-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Is it possible to extend a fiberglass pool coping (rises appx. 1-1/4" above the concrete deck) with a paver? Is there a 3" x 5" x 1" paver and would you set the paver in construction adhesive to control thermal expansion and caulk joints with silicone? Thanks for any advice?

Rex Mann
02-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Here is what we sometimes use for a pool remodel, when the deck is over-layed.

The paver downturn covers up the side of the pool decking. All
the decks we overlay are concrete and the pool gunite not fiberglass.
On a fiberglass pool you need to put a 3/8-inch expansion foam jointing
material between the rear of the coping and the field of pavers. This will allow for any movement of the fiberglass walls. The filler can be had at any
pool construction supply house. Comes in a roll.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

Henry
02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
That's an interesting piece there Rex. Who makes that?

KFISCH
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Rex - Thank you for the photo and reply. The only problem is that the pool deck is not cantilevered over the fiberglass coping. The 6" wide fiberglass coping sits 1-1/4" above the concrete deck. I would like to butt a thin stone up to the coping.

Henry
02-11-2009, 07:52 PM
What about wet laying natural stone over the concrete?

bigviclbi
02-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Check out Techo-block they just introduced a new overlay product thats thinner than a regular paver just saw it the other day might work for you.

zedosix
02-11-2009, 11:18 PM
http://www.permacon.ca/products.html?product_id=484&z=parvis

Here is a stone from permacon, its closer to 1 3/4"

KFISCH
02-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Thank you all for the insights. I have found a 1-1/8" paver that might work. I am really concerned with the bonding in this application/climate. Would you typically set the course on a de-coupling membrane directly into a thin mortar or adhesive. Would you finish the joints with silicone caulk?

KFISCH
02-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Henry - Thank you, Would you please describe "wet laying". Would it hold up in Michigan?

Henry
02-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Henry - Thank you, Would you please describe "wet laying". Would it hold up in Michigan?

We haven't done much of it but I'm talking about 1" bluestone set in mortar over the concrete slab.