PDA

View Full Version : why are websites so expensive

bobcatnj
02-10-2009, 08:18 PM
why are websites so damn expensive to get made by a professional? i have been getting quotes from 3500- 5000. i must be in the wrong business

JDUtah
02-10-2009, 11:45 PM
I heard this story about FedEx.. not sure if either is true, but the principle holds...

http://pinds.com/2007/5/27/knowing-which-screw-to-turn

PSTsmallengines
02-12-2009, 06:49 AM
If you are getting prices like that then my friend you are looking for too much from your website. I would dare say that a 5 page website for a lawn company shouldn't cost no more then 700 to 1000 give or take a few bucks, find small companies to build your site.

tatmkr
02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Those prices are most likely for a flash site. (The pretty ones where everything moves) A static (html) site such as this one should cost $500-$1000. Lots of companies have decent website creators coupled with their hosting, Yahoo is a good example of one stop shopping. By the domain name from GoDaddy and move over to Yahoo to build your site in an hour or 2. Personally I used Publlisher o build my site and I can constantly change it, and I only have about $100 invested total! www.dublinlandscapes.com

yard_smart
02-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I do web design and SEO work when we are slow in the winter . . . Give me a call and we can get your an order put together that is sure to bring in the customers

ritchiem
02-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Some companies have minimum prices for site and they adhere to standards. Mind you that sounds like an overpriced fee. What were they going to give you for that kind of money? Where they going to setup billing features or other backend databases? Where they going to create any apps for you to make your site more feature rich? Or was it just going to be a simple site with a few pictures?

Prices really vary when it come to how much time is involved...but there are some people out there just waiting for the right person to say...um ok lets do it.

Bobcat, tell us exactly what you are looking for in a website. We should be able to give you a ballpark on what you should spend.

Cheers,

WebMan
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
What will those sites do--cut the grass too?

Any service contractor web site should cost nowhere near that. Maybe $1,000 tops usually $200-$500

I have an acquaintance that I refer people to who want really "way out" web sites with lots of Flash & moving stuff --all kinds of special effects and he's REALLY good...he's in that price range but he's way overkill for a lawn care site -- you don't need images moving on the home page people have to chase with the mouse to hear a sound clip then click to go to a page where more things move if the mouse gets close and sounds change all the time etc.

Lawn-Scapes
02-12-2009, 11:32 PM
It shouldn't cost you near that much. Mine was less than a thousand. Search around...

ritchiem
02-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Geez webman you don't charge enough...if you charged more you could afford your trip to Cancun :rolleyes:

It is a shame there is not more of a standard on these things. Anyone is allowed to charge whatever they want.

I do agree that $200 - $500 sound right for a basic site. When you start getting into SEO and staying on top of it then the price goes up.

JDUtah
02-13-2009, 01:35 AM
wow, enough web guys looking for work to make someone sick.. and not one of them is s sponsor?

WebMan
02-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Like everything else "sponsorship" is an ROI thing. This forum tends to have advertisers that are a different type business than I have so sponsorship here would probably be a very poor investment (I did inquire, but sponsorship doesn't mean someone "loves" lawn guys. The forum is a business like most large forums and I respect that. Sponsor=advertiser and for me it's not right, if I sold lawn equipment I'd sign up in a minute)

I cannot advertise for work here and i don't try to, right now I'm covered up anyway. besides if I did I would be breaking the rules. I broke them accidentally last year because I posted where I would be speaking (giving seminars in person) & when. Even though it's not my "deal" the event was run by someone else and you paid THEM for the sessions I could not give that info because it was considered like I was advertising them.

If you look at my posts my answers are usually "general help" type stuff. I don't care who this person uses but he has most likely been talking to firms that either (a) are overpriced a LOT or (b) provide far more elaborate web sites than what someone is this business needs. Although if you want all the bells & whistles that's fine with me, I just don't think the cost will get you enough more lawn care customers to make it worthwhile.

Usually if I have time I will look at someones web site, give them some tips on how it could look better to be laid out easier for the visitor to use or try to answer a specific question if they have one. I think in all the years maybe I have got 2-3 customers that might be a side-result from posts I have made here but nothing in dollars compared to "worth" of the time I have spent trying to help people.
As someone who has been on both sides of the fence (contractor & web person) I have a soft spot for people who like this OP spend too much on a web site or don't have one because they think it costs too much because they got bad information (a sure-fire business killer here in 2009 for goodness sakes-every customer expects a "real" business to have a web site)

That's the reason I take some of my "break" time to clear my mind from "work" stuff to make some posts, try to keep people from wasting money or give them a few tips on how they could make their site better...another regular poster gets more technical about problems with their code & validation & such than me but that's fine-somebody can take a bit from both of us and they will probably help their site a good bit--all for free...
I don't understand your problem with those of us who do that

AI Inc
02-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Because unlike cutting a lawn , the work is done by an educated person.

Kiril
02-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Because unlike cutting a lawn , the work is done by an educated person.

You assume too much. :laugh:

PSTsmallengines
02-17-2009, 06:35 AM
I think everyone assumes too much.

Team-Green L&L
02-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Websites only cost what they are worth. It is like asking "why is a patio so expensive"? Well, a 10' x 10' slab is not, but if you want a contour patio with 2 tiers and a hot tub made from flagstone, well...that's a whole different story.

It is difficult to explain to someone the amount of work that goes into PROPERLY designing and developing a website unless you have PROPERLY designed and developed one yourself. The best proof that design prices are fair is when other designers outsource their work to you. I get a lot of work from other designers, so I assume I'm pretty fair.

Much like when you are bidding a retaining wall job against a guy who just throws something down without proper compaction and base. Yes, you will have a patio, but it will certainly not look good to the trained eye at first and after 2-3 years of use...it's all downhill (quite literally).

I have stopped building websites for LS members due to the rules of this forum, but $3-5K is about right if you're asking for a database with it like a Joomla site.

HTML sites run about $80-100 per page, forms are about $50 per form, images are about $50 per image, and the CSS Style Sheet should run about $100. Now that I've broken it all down into realistic figures, go back and look at your requirements. That will tell you where the bid came from or if it is just price-gouging.

...or you could get one of those generic (throw together) template sites from Landscaperoo or something for a monthly fee that never goes away and limits your capabilities. Custom ANYTHING is expensive from the last I checked...

PS. WebMan, you ROCK! I'm glad you put that out there, I have also inquired about sponsorship and it would be ridiculous to make that kind of investment to a partial market. There is just not enough business here to advertise for web design. I do appreciate the sponsorships, but there's a reason so many designers help, but never advertise...

Besides, I can't tell you how frustrating it is to try to tech talk with a contractor who hasn't a clue about design labor needs. It's like talking to the 16 year old daughter about a $12,000 landscape. "Why does that specimen plant cost so much?" UHH, cause it's a specimen plant...

Dwights
02-18-2009, 11:54 PM
You get going basic website $59.00 lifetime basic $99.00 at lawncaredictory.com.
I got there after the season was over last year. I checked at the engines,comes up alot. Was a good deal even if only got 6 months after season. Going to upgrade to prem site soon only another $59.00 and its liftime. Lets you put in pictures all your info and has links. Got course with it and all the forms. Looking foward to big things with it this year. Im on there as Dwights lawn cutting service,Rutherfoed County, Murfreesboro Tn.
Look it over good price. 615-556-2802 Dwights Lawns Cutting Service Murfreesboro,Tn