PDA

View Full Version : Nerf Bars - Black or Chrome?

Doogiegh
03-05-2002, 09:49 PM
I have a Dodge ram 1500 Quad cab that I want to add the side 'nerf' bars to. I know they are available in black or Chrome. Do you guys have the bars on any of your trucks, and how do you like each? I think the chrome looks sharper, but I heard after a couple of years, can really get dull and pit, etc. The chrome ones are also like $100 more per pair up front.

So, if you have them, let me know which ones. Also a link of any pictures you have would be great... I don't care what type of truck, I just want to see examples.

Where did you get them from as well - online they seem to be all over the place.. Thanks!

stslawncare
03-05-2002, 09:57 PM
i like the bars, and prefer black but it depends on the color of the truck

mdb landscaping
03-05-2002, 10:01 PM
i prefer the look of black. you can always take them off in a few years and paint em again.

landscaper3
03-05-2002, 10:11 PM
In New Jersey you are still in the snow belt right? Chrome will rust with the salt that is put on the roads and really hard to keep looking nice! Get the black ones.

Mykster
03-06-2002, 02:30 AM
Go with the stainless steel.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
03-06-2002, 10:04 AM
I use black ones on my trucks... you can paint them when they need it.. I have used that spray on bedliner stuff and that works really well.... The chrome WILL RUST.... If you can afford it and want the shiny look go with the stainless and forget about any problems, untill one of your guys looses control of a mower and it runs into the bar and dents it up... LOL....

stslawncare
03-06-2002, 11:09 AM
that chrome does make it look shiny! hey scape where u been?

03-06-2002, 07:08 PM
OK, I'm not speaking from experience with nerf bars or "Rams" but I'm in agreement that chrome will end up pitting and rusting before too long, especially in a "salt belt" area. The few years I drove big trucks I put chrome goodies on the Mack and it wasn't long before the salt made it's presence known....................:mad:

Of course, I prefer the look of chrome over black..................but from a practicality standpoint I would say the black ones are the way to go, at least if you plan on keeping 'em for a while.

Someone mentioned stainless - are these units available in stainless? Because if they are that will solve the rust problem, although it'll be more $$$ up front.

Mykster
03-06-2002, 07:23 PM
They are available in stainless, I have them on my truck. Their a little more expensive but worth the extra cost.

Doogiegh
03-07-2002, 08:12 PM
I've seen the stainless around a number of times and they are pricey. My truck is a Dodge Ram, 2-tone.. It's black, but on the doors the lower panels are a light grey. So either way, I've seen the black and I've seen the stainless. I just don't know which would look better on my truck.. <G>

And I know the stainless are more, but I think they look sharper.

I have the Quad Cab, 2002.

Anyone know of any good web sites to get this kind of stuff from?

Mykster
03-09-2002, 03:42 AM
central4wd.com
gogrilleguards.com
JCWhitney.com

Doogiegh
03-09-2002, 02:45 PM
Got it - so far gogrilleguards looks the best.
Thanks

smalltime
03-11-2002, 01:05 AM
I have the Westin chrome plated over stainless. They are pretty sharp. I checked probably 10 places on-line but decided to buy at the local Rhino liner shop. The cost was maybe $10 more over the cheapest internet site, but the fact I could take them back to the Rhino liner shop if I had a problem made me take this course of action.

This is my second set of Westin I have had on my second truck. I really like them. They have a rubber step that I would think to be less slippery than just the steele tube.

Steve