PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Size -Question on cutting deck width

jhastrello
02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Okay. I have the opportunity to purchase a very nice ExMark Lazer Z, 72" mower from someone who I have purchased equipment from previously. However, I do have some concerns and would like a little feedback.

Given that this is a 72" deck, most of the time it will only really be used for larger tracts (such as my big back yard for I'm on an acre), and larger commercial.

My marketplace is homes that sit on 1/2 - 3/4 acre; and commercial properties.

My question is this:

Do you have (or would you have) a 72" mower? Once I became serious on pursuing it, I really realized that this baby has a 6' cutting deck. Trailer is not a real problem, but I'm somewhat concerned that it's just really too big. And no, I do not currently have any very large properties, and realize that I probably should pass till I need one. But the price/quality is very, very attractive.

Fire away with your comments/suggestions.

PTP
02-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Purchase the mower that will be the best fit for the properties that you service. If this mower fits the bill, then buy it. If not, pass on it and buy something else.

Last year, I was talking with another LCO who had a 60" mower for sale. It was a nice mower in good condition and it only had about 400 hours on it. It was around 5 years old. He never used it because it was inappropriate for most of his properties.

I would rather pay double for the best suited mower for the property than get a really great deal on something that spends most of its time on the trailer.

topsites
02-11-2009, 01:54 PM
If you've never used such a size deck before scalping would be a real test for a while.

And uh....
I would make sure that joker fits on the trailer first, too.

jhastrello
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks. Confirming some of the suspicions that I'm already having. Hadn't really thought too much about the width and scalping items. I can see, that really could be a big concern.

Apprecaited. Calmer heads prevail, once more.

jsw2008
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
That size mower is too big and bulky for your needs. Scalping would be a big issue.

djagusch
02-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Your niche doesn't work with the machine. If you are moving in that direction of bigger props then yes you should look into it.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
02-11-2009, 09:33 PM
to big ..........................that size is for wide open park type mowing not for 1 acre or less...............

lifetree
02-11-2009, 10:16 PM
... that size is for wide open park type mowing not for 1 acre or less ...

Yeah, for that size property try a 44" or 48" ZTR !!