PDA

View Full Version : Gel filled tires

hackalot
02-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Is anybody using gel filled tires on their commercial mowers? I do a lot of cutting/bushogging in areas with sharp thorns(wild rose bushes and scrub locust trees) and am considering using the following product on my chevron mower tires. http://www.arnconet.com/flatproofing/quikgel.htm

Would appreciate comments from anyone with experience on this.

Jason Rose
02-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Interesting... I didn't see any info on the site about how you get it IN your tires. Who puts it in? Is it something you can buy and do yourself, or is it something that has to be done at a tire shop that carries the product?

4.3mudder
02-11-2009, 08:55 PM
You can also have them foamed filled, but beware, you will have one hell of a stiff bumpy ride, I don't know about the gel, but I know the foam is that way, and it is expensive too

hackalot
02-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Interesting... I didn't see any info on the site about how you get it IN your tires. Who puts it in? Is it something you can buy and do yourself, or is it something that has to be done at a tire shop that carries the product?

I've got a call into the company to get more details. Their website has an installation brochure for the Reseal product, (similar to Slime) and installed the same way (remove the core and pump it in).

I think on the foams and gels you may have to have it done at a dealer.

On their foam product they have 4 different formulations depending on your tire application. The product appears to be far superior to Slime.

I'm more concerned with maintaining traction than ride, my machine has dually chevrons and is used in relatively low speed, severe slope applications.

olde_blue
02-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Check out Gempler's. They sell several grades of "Ultra-Seal" liquid, which is kinda like slime. You can pump it into the (deflated) tires yourself.

punt66
02-12-2009, 10:48 AM
I buy no flat casters and never look back. It has not noticably affected the ride but i do run a ferris with a suspension. No more flats for me.

hackalot
02-21-2009, 02:18 PM
wow, checked out 1 place they wanted $200 a tire for foam, settled on an ultraseal for $20 per tire. This place does a lot of tires for log skidders and skid steers.

bob
02-21-2009, 04:14 PM
I looked into having foam filled in my tires. It was expensive, and it added a lot of weight to the tire.

lawnjocky
02-21-2009, 06:29 PM
This looks like the same stuff I had a sample of years ago. If it is, here's what I know about it.

It's a chewing gum like coating that is spun around the inside of the tire.

Not heavy and doesn't cause a hard ride like foam or solid fill.

You can run your psi at whatever you want because it is a 1/4" self sealing coating.

You have to buy new tires from the place that installs the sealer with the coating applied.

I remember being very interested at the time. But for the cost we could plug a lot of holes. And of course it does nothing for a slice. For the right application it seemed like really cool stuff.

Grassmechanic
02-23-2009, 10:30 AM
You can also have them foamed filled, but beware, you will have one hell of a stiff bumpy ride, I don't know about the gel, but I know the foam is that way, and it is expensive too

The new foam rides just like air. I have foam filled and cannot tell the difference from air filled (other than no flats).

4.3mudder
02-23-2009, 10:31 AM
The new foam rides just like air. I have foam filled and cannot tell the difference from air filled (other than no flats).

I'm suprised, the guy I usually deal with about tires says they are really stiff and always have a bumpy ride, maybe they have a new formula out since the last time I talked to him about it

Grassmechanic
02-23-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm suprised, the guy I usually deal with about tires says they are really stiff and always have a bumpy ride, maybe they have a new formula out since the last time I talked to him about it

The early foams were a bit stiffer. The newer ones ride nice and smooth. J.Thomas now carries the newer foam.

4.3mudder
02-23-2009, 11:02 AM
The early foams were a bit stiffer. The newer ones ride nice and smooth. J.Thomas now carries the newer foam.

Aww, ok, I have not talked to the guy about it in a couple of years so that would be why. Thanks for the info, Where is that J. Thomas you say?

Jason Rose
02-23-2009, 11:22 AM
I think the difference in the "foam filled" tires that grassmechanic is talking about is that his are actual foam tires, they usually have a void in the center and do have ride qualities like a pneumatic tire. Actual tires that are filled with foam, are a whole different animal. Back in the day, having tires filled with foam, at the tire place, was the only option. In the last 5 or 10 years the foam 'solid' tires have came out in a lot of different sizes. Of course nothing more than caster tires, I'm pretty sure you can't get drive size tires that are foam.

Grassmechanic
02-23-2009, 11:22 AM
www.j-thomas.com