PDA

View Full Version : Home & Garden Shows

NightLightingFX
02-11-2009, 07:50 PM
It is home & garden show season. Anyone doing any it this year? I have one coming up next weekend. Looking forward to it. Curious to see what the market is going to be like this year.
~Ned

Lite4
02-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Ned, I am curious about the statistics this year. Definitely keep us informed about how it goes. Good Luck!

Lite4
02-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Ned,
How was the response at your show?

The Lighting Geek
02-22-2009, 01:17 AM
We had the big one at the end of Jan and it was unbelievable. I handed out at least a 1000 business cards. I did the lighting for several booths in trade for them promoting me. The calls have been starting but we have had a bit of rain off and on since the show and that can slow the calls. It was so busy I could not walk across the aisle, it was a cattle call!

Lite4
02-22-2009, 09:46 AM
That is good to hear. I have a big 8 day home and garden show in Indy from March 14-22. I have never done a show that lasted this long. Gonna be a Marathon but I love doing the shows and talking to people, so it will be fun and should generate some good leads I'm sure.

Eden Lights
02-22-2009, 10:20 AM
While I have not looked at this in several years, do you guys think that your current client profile is a show attendee? I do see a small potential niche of clients at the show, but I am just not sure it's a good return on advertising dollars. We just had or very high end show.......http://www.antiquesandgardenshow.com/ and we also have a typical show.........http://www.nashvillelawnandgardenshow.com/ Maybe this is something that I should look into again, we did them 8-9 years ago and talked our heads off, but no return on investment.

Lite4
02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
While I have not looked at this in several years, do you guys think that your current client profile is a show attendee? I do see a small potential niche of clients at the show, but I am just not sure it's a good return on advertising dollars. We just had or very high end show.......http://www.antiquesandgardenshow.com/ and we also have a typical show.........http://www.nashvillelawnandgardenshow.com/ Maybe this is something that I should look into again, we did them 8-9 years ago and talked our heads off, but no return on investment.

Hey Eddie,
I know in the Boise area, the home and garden shows are one of the better venues for me. Last year I received a 40 fold return on my investment in the booth and setup. Not sure how it will be in another city. I talked to my only real competitor here in town and he said he always reups every year because it is one of the big payoffs for him too. You might check it out again and see if things have changed in your area or try a different layout or approach in your booth that may be more eyecatching or appealing.

NightLightingFX
02-22-2009, 10:50 PM
finished my Home & Garden Show today. I did the same thing I did last year. While the attendance was strong, I didn't feel quite like the ethusiasm for my product was as positive as it was last year. Maybe it was me? I do think it was productive, we will see what happens as the year plays out.

Eddie I think you have a valid point. Most of the attendies aren't my customer profile. However, I have found that my town's local Home & Garden Show a good place to network with other professionals and for the past two years that I have done the show I have gotten jobs out of the show. A much better ROI than anything else I tried.
~Ned

MAGLIGHTING
02-22-2009, 11:48 PM
finished my Home & Garden Show today. I did the same thing I did last year. While the attendance was strong, I didn't feel quite like the ethusiasm for my product was as positive as it was last year. Maybe it was me? I do think it was productive, we will see what happens as the year plays out.

Eddie I think you have a valid point. Most of the attendies aren't my customer profile. However, I have found that my town's local Home & Garden Show a good place to network with other professionals and for the past two years that I have done the show I have gotten jobs out of the show. A much better ROI than anything else I tried.
~Ned

Ned, how much did it cost for your booth? 10' X 10' ?

Lite4
02-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Hey Mike,
My 10 x 10 in Boise's premier show was 850.00, very reasonable. My 10 x 15 in Indy is around 2400.

Pro-Scapes
02-23-2009, 09:13 AM
wow thats alot. Our end cap 10x20 is going for 800 plus 5 bucks per badge.

We didnt get the turn out we wanted last year but like Tim it did pay for itself several times over. We are doing a show next month

NightLightingFX
02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Ned, how much did it cost for your booth? 10' X 10' ?

I didn't do a 10 x 10. I did a 10 x 6? It cost me $400 with a HBA discount. The first year I did the show I got two jobs that grossed about $15,000. Last year I got 3 jobs from the show that grossed about the the same as the first year $15,000. (2 of the those jobs where indirect leads - they came from a contractor I networked with).

For me, my local homeshow has been the only marketing tool that has truely paid for itself.
~Ned

MAGLIGHTING
02-23-2009, 10:03 PM
I didn't do a 10 x 10. I did a 10 x 6? It cost me $400 with a HBA discount. The first year I did the show I got two jobs that grossed about $15,000. Last year I got 3 jobs from the show that grossed about the the same as the first year $15,000. (2 of the those jobs where indirect leads - they came from a contractor I networked with).

For me, my local homeshow has been the only marketing tool that has truely paid for itself.
~Ned

I realize it's alot of work but For $400 you really can't go wrong Ned. Even 1 job and it's worth it plus it gets you talking to people and you never know what that will lead to later on if not right after the show.

NightLightingFX
02-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I realize it's alot of work but For $400 you really can't go wrong Ned. Even 1 job and it's worth it plus it gets you talking to people and you never know what that will lead to later on if not right after the show.

Aside from the potential customers and networking opportunity. It is an event. A lot of people remember you from last year and it is a good opportunity to keep the name in the public eye. It is something I will probably continue with.