PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Morning Testosterone

DVS Hardscaper
02-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Another one of my business pet peeves:

In another thread someone had mentioned doing a Saturday appointment.

yes, i do Saturday appointments. In this area many people work an hr away in DC. they need to work so they can afford our world renowned services. Therefore, they're only available on Saturdays.

I been meeting with home owners on Saturdays for over 13 years.

And sure enough I show up at 9 am for the scheduled appointment. Ring the door bell. And stand there and wait. ring again, and shortly after a man 1/2 dressed answers the door. "Hello, please wait outside, my wife is getting dressed".

After this happenin saturday after saturday for 7 years I finally stopped scheduling saturday appointments before 10 am.

My time is too valauble to stand on their front porch while they're in bed satisfying the man's morning testosterone calls.

All Saturday appointments are 10 am and later. No exceptions.

wurkn with amish
02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
bored much DVS?
thanks for enlighting us on your appointments.

DVS Hardscaper
02-11-2009, 11:00 PM
LOL - not bored!

years ago we had a particular landscape architect that we worked with. And one day he and I were driving to a jobsite and he says "I don't do early Sat a.m. appointments because they're always still in bed when I arrive".

It was funny that he brought it up because a few days prior I was thinking the same thing.

My time is valuable. DON'T keep me standing on your front porch. I wake up early, rush about the house, rush to the appointment, only to stand on their porch while minutes tick away and away and away.

PlatinumLandCon
02-11-2009, 11:14 PM
My time is valuable. DON'T keep me standing on your front porch. I wake up early, rush about the house, rush to the appointment, only to stand on their porch while minutes tick away and away and away.

We aren't your customers.... telling us about your frustrations won't help much.

DVS Hardscaper
02-11-2009, 11:37 PM
LOL - no frustrations, as I don't do early appointments!

But hopefully PLC when you schedule a Sat a.m. appointment you'll keep my wisdom in mind.

Or when you've fail to heed to my wisdom and you're standing on their porch for 10 minutes on a Sat a.m., and finally they return to the door to let you in, and you reach out to shake their hands....keep in mind - they didnt have to rush out of bed to be at work at 8, it's the 1st opportunity they had time together :)

Now everytime a lawnsite reader/participant is left standing on someone's porch on a Sat a.m. while the Mrs gets dressed.......they're going to always think of me :) And eventually they move their 1st appointments to a later time :)

Thanks as always for being fans!

mrusk
02-12-2009, 12:01 AM
I do saturday appointments. I will do 930 but no earlier. And normally I end up waiting on the porch a few minutes.

Then I demand fresh coffee.

PlatinumLandCon
02-12-2009, 12:21 AM

But hopefully PLC when you schedule a Sat a.m. appointment you'll keep my wisdom in mind.

LOL don't worry about me, I'm hardly even out of bed at 9am on a Sat! I actually enjoy 2-3 meetings on a Sat between 10 and 3, then a BBQ to take me until dark:). The guys work 7-4 Mon-Thurs, 8-2 Fri on a good week, full days Fri if there's rain during the week. Unless its REALLY bad, I don't put them to work on Sat. I find really pounding them during the week, then letting them sleep a bit and take off early helps me get a full week out of them. I was doing the normal 8-4, 5 days and found Fri afternoons are a waste of time because everyone wanted to leave. Also, it takes a good 10-30mins for everyone to get into the groove for the day, so working a 9hr day maximizes the good hours so we can really motor.

Wow I went off topic... but yes, DVS I'll keep your advice in mind:)

CertPro
02-12-2009, 01:05 AM
This time of year, Saturday is just another day. I can't imagine anybody here that would refuse a solid lead just because they want to meet at 9:30am on a Saturday.

PROCUT1
02-12-2009, 01:37 AM
I dont do any appointments any day before 11 unless I have to.

zedosix
02-12-2009, 08:47 AM
DVS, I'll keep that in mind when I'm kayaking on a saturday morning. :)

DVS Hardscaper
02-12-2009, 11:27 AM
This time of year, Saturday is just another day. I can't imagine anybody here that would refuse a solid lead just because they want to meet at 9:30am on a Saturday.

Cert - where did refusal of a lead come from??!! :hammerhead:

It's this simple:

Helen Homeowner: do you do saturday appointments?

Andrew Hardscape: yes, we do, would you like to schedule for this saturday?

Helen Homeowner: Yes, that would be best because during the week we both get home late and by the time we do our daily maintenace to our pop-up emitter it will be dinner time, and after dinner we need to pick up our daughter from drama practice.

Andrew Hardscape: Great, I'll be happy to meet meet with you and your husband on Saturday. Please bear with me one moment while I look at the schedule (stated knowing full well what the day's schedule is). Hmmm, OK, as it stands right now I'm avaliable to meet with you at 10:00 on Saturday.

Helen Homeowner: Great, we'll see you then, we're so excited about getting this patio re-built. We moved here a year ago and finally have the money where someone can come in and build it correctly and get rid of thses pop-ups that freeze shut, we had to have 2 downspouts replaced after Christmas.....

Or if they say:

Helen Homeowner: Do you have anything earlier, my son has baseball practice and we need to leave at 9?

Andrew Hardscape: No Ma'am, the morning is filled, I'm sorry, what time do you think you'll be back from baseball practice?

Helen Homeowner: Oh, we're usually home by 12:15.

Andrew Hardscape: Ok, well I can meet you at 12:30, or we can do 1:00 to be safe.

Helen Homeowner: Let's do 1:00

DVS Hardscaper
02-12-2009, 11:36 AM
DVS, I'll keep that in mind when I'm kayaking on a saturday morning. :)

LOL - Thanks!

I only do Saturday sales calls April 1 through the weekend BEFORE Memorial Day Weekend (american holiday). And in the fall (starting mid October) I will do sales calls on Saturdays because the days start getting shorter and it's usually dark by the time a home owner gets home from work.

Whats the sense in working hard to get things if you're not home or not able to enjoy it?

PaperCutter
02-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I set the same types of parameters for my client meetings. Back in AZ, I had a client who I guess would be a minor D-list celebrity (his commercials run at 3am- not the ShamWow guy or Billy Mays) who always insisted on 7 am, Tuesday appointments. I'd roll up to the gate at the end of the driveway, hit the call button, and get no response. After a couple of tries, he'd finally answer, all sleepy, and open the gate. I'd then wait in the driveway for fifteen minutes until he came to the door. After the second time, I asked him point-blank, wtf? His answer? "What landscaper EVER shows up on time? I said 7 figuring you'd roll in around 9."

So now I do NO appointments before 9, and I tell my clients that barring an accident or breakdown, I am always within five minutes of my appointment time. Live and learn.

wurkn with amish
02-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I guess I'm just lazy and saturday is a day I can sleep in.
So I always schedule appointments 10am or later.
Screw waiting on someone to get done doing to the deed when i
could be at at home home doing the DEED!

mattfromNY
02-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Pop up emitter :laugh:
Making sure the trench is large enough :laugh:

kootoomootoo
02-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Does Garth Brooks do sat appointments. How would that convo go.

punt66
02-12-2009, 04:49 PM
haha you guys are bored ha?

PlatinumLandCon
02-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Helen Homeowner: Yes, that would be best because during the week we both get home late and by the time we do our daily maintenace to our pop-up emitter it will be dinner time, and after dinner we need to pick up our daughter from drama practice.

Helen Homeowner: Great, we'll see you then, we're so excited about getting this patio re-built. We moved here a year ago and finally have the money where someone can come in and build it correctly and get rid of thses pop-ups that freeze shut, we had to have 2 downspouts replaced after Christmas.....

LOL!! The comedy never ends!:laugh: You always need to get the jab in! I love it:drinkup:

CertPro
02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
You never did thrill me with your thoughts about my be all end all solution for the pop up issue. Care to weigh in?

treeman06
02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
sorry to get political dvs, but you work so hard like the rest of on here so you can support the lazy slobs that dont work. Obama says that everyone is entitled to share their wealth.

DVS Hardscaper
02-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Does Garth Brooks do sat appointments. How would that convo go.

koo - to answer your question, just add this visual:

Picture the Garth Brooks of hardscaping, a.k.a The DIVA OF HARDSCAPING like this:

1) has his left hand on his hip
2) moves his right hand around in the air as he talks
3) speaks with a lisp

:clapping:

DVS Hardscaper
02-12-2009, 09:06 PM
LOL!! The comedy never ends!:laugh: You always need to get the jab in! I love it:drinkup:

Just keepin the class from falling asleep!

DVS Hardscaper
02-12-2009, 09:09 PM
You never did thrill me with your thoughts about my be all end all solution for the pop up issue. Care to weigh in?

C'mon now, don't be a poor sport :weightlifter:

CertPro
02-12-2009, 10:07 PM
that's the answer I thought you would give

DVS Hardscaper
02-13-2009, 09:37 AM
that's the answer I thought you would give

Now, now, thats NO way to speak to a Bronze Member!

CertPro
02-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I don't care what color your member is! Why won't you respond to my solution? Is it that someone has proven your arguement to be futile? Enlighten us

DVS Hardscaper
02-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't care what color your member is! Why won't you respond to my solution? Is it that someone has proven your arguement to be futile? Enlighten us

My Oh My! Here it is the eve before Valentine's Day and someone is havin a bad bad day :cry:

I must apologize, I didn't realize there was an "argument" about Sat appointments! For some silly reason I thought I was collaborating my theory of the logistics of scheduling sat appointments!

My apologies.......I'll try not :nono: to stray off topic in my own award winning threads ever again!!!

wurkn with amish
02-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Cert- pro
who cares what DVS thinks about pop-ups.
If you like them use them. Its as simple as that.
You sound like a drama queen dragging this out.

Hardscaping
02-13-2009, 07:01 PM

Or when you've fail to heed to my wisdom and you're standing on their porch for 10 minutes on a Sat a.m., and finally they return to the door to let you in, and you reach out to shake their hands....keep in mind - they didnt have to rush out of bed to be at work at 8, it's the 1st opportunity they had time together :)

Now everytime a lawnsite reader/participant is left standing on someone's porch on a Sat a.m. while the Mrs gets dressed.......they're going to always think of me :) And eventually they move their 1st appointments to a later time :)

Thanks as always for being fans!

Hey here is a hint of advice what i do before all my appointments.Is CALL.

DVS Hardscaper
02-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Hey here is a hint of advice what i do before all my appointments.Is CALL.

Thats exactly what I do! BAck when I did do early appointments, I couldn't always call. If I called when I was leaving - that would be too early to call, so you wait till after you're on the road, and low and behold.....no cell signal!

punt66
02-13-2009, 07:27 PM
what do you care how he makes his appointments? I dont do Saturday appointments at all.

Hardscaping
02-13-2009, 08:38 PM
I dont' care, he is pointing something out that he doesn't like. I gave advice on how to fix the problem.

DVS Hardscaper
02-13-2009, 11:38 PM
I believe you should always call and confirm appointments, no matter what day of the week it is. I'd guess that for the last 7 years we call about 95% of our appointments the day of to confirm/remind.

There's nothin worse than rushing to arrive at someone's front door and they not be there!

CertPro
02-13-2009, 11:49 PM
I call and confirm prior to heading out to an appointment. It's a good practice. Let's face it, folks forget.

DVS, would you refuse to meet with a solid lead if the only time available was 9:00 am on a Saturday? I would not and that was my point.

Hardscaping
02-14-2009, 03:42 AM
I would take an appointment at 1 am on sunday morning or night, if i was to get a good solid job lined up. Doesn't matter to me as long as they are truly interested. But i guess that is because i am young and full of ambition, or just because i will grow my business and keep it growing for the sake to get bigger and have more green in the pocket.

I am looking to expanding my business into a large company someday soon, only way that is going to happen is if i work my azz off.

DVS Hardscaper
02-14-2009, 10:19 AM
DVS, would you refuse to meet with a solid lead if the only time available was 9:00 am on a Saturday? I would not and that was my point.

For me personally, I do not have one answer to this question. This is where pre-qualifying comes into play, along with other variables.

Guy, one thing we need to remember is most of us work for a reason. Most of us work to obtain the things that we want in life. Many of us have kids to raise and to raise them into productive, successful adults. if you're out chasing dead end jobs - it's impossible to have time for the kids and family. if you're out chasing dead end leads - you might as well live in a condo as if you buy a hill top property with a view - you'll never be eble to enjoy it.

Many contractors only meet with people from 9-5 on weekdays. Saturdays are out of the question. Some people will meet with a client any day any time.

One thing I always try to keep in mind here is that people work. We are 60 miles north of DC. Most of our community that has money to afford hardscape and landscape services work in DC, most of them are gov't workers or contractors. Due to heavy traffic volume, most have a 3-4 hr commute every day. I have to be sensitive to this because I need to remember that they have to work so they can pay us. Therefore, i must be accomindating of their schedules.

I have certain parameters for scheduling sales presentations. I seldom straw off from them. If times conflict - there are usually ways to work around them.

The best scenerio is mon - fri 9-5. If a prospective client makes the effort to take off early from work - that tells me they are serious about the job. It's a pre-qualifier. I always say "people will take off work early for a $250 dentist appointment - but they won't take off work early for a $25,000 home improvement gig.

The 9-5 mon - fri thing also makes you look professional. Professionals have strict standards.

Last year I had a guy call me. He lives in a big, golf course community with million dollar homes. He wanted me to come out LATE on SAT afternoon because he son had baseball practice. He was rude and pushy. Kinda got under my skin. I said to him "I have a family and it would be nice if we could meet earlier". He refused to budge. Because of where he lived, I did not want to loose the lead, so I scheduled the appointment to his liking. I went there, and he was still rude. Came back to my little office and I did a VERY nice preliminary design. I returned the following Sat (again to his time preference) and presented the design. He and his wife LOVED it. Their whole demeanor changed and they started talking to me like a human. Started smiling, the whole nine yards. We made some changes to the design and I met with them a 3rd time, this time to MY SCHEDULE, on a WEEKDAY. Still went very well. Well afterall that - they did get 4 estimates. The husband was ready to sign with us, the Mrs said "lets wait for that 4th estimate to be finished". They ended up going with that 4th estimate. They told me I was their pick but they went with the other guy because their neighbors used him.

I was a good sport. It was a qualified lead. They liked me. I ended up liking them and I wanted to work with them. After they saw what i iwas about they opened up and I discovered that they had a sense of humor and that they are down to earth. I'm fine with loosing sales. i loose sales every week. the national closure rate for this industry is said to be 33%. I don't like loosing sales that I sacrificed my personal and my family time for. It's much less painful when the time invested is the company's time.

You win some, you loose some. thats life. thats business.

But I'm not getting younger. I have things at home to do. After a while there comes a point in time where you must draw some lines. I've been in business since 1990. I'm past the practicing stage.

If its qualified lead, I try to find a way to get them to meet during realistic, standard business hours.

Not the best picture. But quite a colorful view, and a beautiful spring breeze blows though. On the other side we have a cool view of the potomac winding through the mountain. there are no city lights here so at night the stars are as clear as can be. Why work for this if all you do is chase dead end leads?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e124/DVS360/8fa4ba6c.jpg

Who wants to stand on someone's front porch for 10 minutes on a Sat morning when you can put the rig on a trailer and head off to an off road park?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e124/DVS360/534ce20b.jpg

zedosix
02-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Loose- something that is not fastened
Lose - to lose a wallet

I am going to "lose" the job to another contractor.

The horse is "loose" in the field
:)

PlatinumLandCon
02-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Loose- something that is not fastened
Lose - to lose a wallet

I am going to "lose" the job to another contractor.

The horse is "loose" in the field
:)

I doubt that with the quality of your work!:drinkup:

AztlanLC
02-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I alway call 30 min before to confirm my appointments that pretty much resolves many problems I had in the past

kootoomootoo
02-15-2009, 05:15 PM
loose lips sink ships

zedosix
02-15-2009, 11:13 PM
loose lips sink ships

Now we're getting somewhere. :)

Sunscaper
02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Their more likely to be relaxed after satisfying their desires and possibly more likely to buy the job. Let em hump away.

DVS Hardscaper
03-28-2010, 12:40 PM
It's that time of year - so here's Another Award Winning, THOUGHT PROVOKING thread worth bringing back to light!

I had a 10:30 estimate yesterday. I call before I go to confirm. I get there and the lady says I could have sworn it was for 9. I replied "no ma'am, I haven't done 9:00 estimates on Sat mornings in over 6 years, do you wanna know why?"

She replied "because they're still in bed"

LOL - yep, even the homeowner got it right! Smart Lady!