PDA

View Full Version : Tough Economy= Lowballers

ted putnam
02-11-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't know if any of y'all have experienced this yet but I got a cancel today that has been a customer of mine for almost 8 yrs now. He said he was canceling because he was offered a better price. I could hear the dread in his voice of being on the phone having this discussion with me. He didn't want to cancel because he knew I had provided outstanding service through the years( he even said so himself several times while on the phone with me) I told him I couldn't get in a price war with anyone so that part didn't matter but I asked him who it was. It was a NKOTB. I guess that's what made me mad more than anything. Usually it's the National chains pull that kind of Crap. I told him to keep my phone number in case things didn't work out. He said he definitely would and said "That's the thing, will the service be the same?" WTF do people want?.... Sorry, just had to VENT!

rcreech
02-11-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't know if any of y'all have experienced this yet but I got a cancel today that has been a customer of mine for almost 8 yrs now. He said he was canceling because he was offered a better price. I could hear the dread in his voice of being on the phone having this discussion with me. He didn't want to cancel because he knew I had provided outstanding service through the years( he even said so himself several times while on the phone with me) I told him I couldn't get in a price war with anyone so that part didn't matter but I asked him who it was. It was a NKOTB. I guess that's what made me mad more than anything. Usually it's the National chains pull that kind of Crap. I told him to keep my phone number in case things didn't work out. He said he definitely would and said "That's the thing, will the service be the same?" WTF do people want?.... Sorry, just had to VENT!

HE'LL BE BACK!!!!

Just make sure and raise the price another 10% when he does and tell him he has to start over at the "new customer price"! :cool2:

KACYDS
02-11-2009, 08:19 PM
HE'LL BE BACK!!!!

Just make sure and raise the price another 10% when he does and tell him he has to start over at the "new customer price"! :cool2:

Sorry to hear that, Ted. It sucks.

But like rod said, whenever someone quits and then calls me back, the price ALWAYS goes up, at least 10%.

THC
02-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Maybe he can't afford it any longer. I'd rather someone cancel services with their bill paid in full. Regardless, people come and go for a variety of reasons.

ted putnam
02-11-2009, 08:25 PM
:HE'LL BE BACK!!!!

:laugh: I'd sure like to. Thing is I'm so close to price with my main competition who is generally the lowest price in town(except TGCL) that he'd probably go with someone else. This guy must have offered one Helluva price to leave me......:wall...:realmad::realmad:PISSES ME OFF:realmad::realmad:

LawnTamer
02-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Ted, sorry to hear. I had one of those just today too. Very scary. Funny, I get a few every year, but this year, I shudder when I get one.

What is a NKOTB?

KACYDS
02-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Maybe he can't afford it any longer. I'd rather someone cancel services with their bill paid in full. Regardless, people come and go for a variety of reasons.

He could afford it, it was a new kid, that appartly doesnt know anything about pricing, aka lowballer, and the old guy wanted to save a buck.:hammerhead:

KACYDS
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
What is a NKOTB?

New kid on the block.

LawnTamer
02-11-2009, 08:30 PM
New Kid on the Block!:hammerhead::hammerhead:

Sorry guys, I never really caught on to that, though I recently learned my wife had a teenage crush on Marky Mark...AKA Mark Wahlberg:laugh::laugh:

KACYDS
02-11-2009, 08:34 PM
lol...............:laugh::laugh::laugh:

tlg
02-11-2009, 09:38 PM

There's nothing worse than losing a customer like this. I once lost a customer over $12 an app cheaper. A customer I had for many years. Lost his daughters account too. He told her about the less expensive company and she canceled too. After one season he was calling our office begging to come back. He and his daughter both were welcomed back. I knew they would and he admitted he was wrong. There's nothing better than one of these customers coming back. Always leave the door open like you did. He will be back.

4.3mudder
02-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Even though the price will be lower, so will the quality, they pay the price.

Hoots
02-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Just take a look at your local Craigslist. There are plenty of new and old that are advertising "I can spray your weeds" yet they are not licensed.

It is not just the guys mowing with the hatchback and curved shaft weedeater lowballing mowing anymore. They are in full attack with their Scotts plastic wheel fert spreaders now doing all the apps they can.

I love one ad though "Specializing in framing and lawn maintenance".

ted putnam
02-11-2009, 10:32 PM
lol...............:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Marky Mark needs to pull up his pants....I don't want to chance seeing his "Funky Bunch"!:laugh::laugh:

LawnTamer
02-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Just take a look at your local Craigslist. There are plenty of new and old that are advertising "I can spray your weeds" yet they are not licensed.

It is not just the guys mowing with the hatchback and curved shaft weedeater lowballing mowing anymore. They are in full attack with their Scotts plastic wheel fert spreaders now doing all the apps they can.

I love one ad though "Specializing in framing and lawn maintenance".

I hope you aren't right, but I fear you are. I lost one this week, "My mowing guy is just going to do the fertilizing." I hate hearing stuff like that!

turf hokie
02-12-2009, 08:51 AM
I hope you aren't right, but I fear you are. I lost one this week, "My mowing guy is just going to do the fertilizing." I hate hearing stuff like that!

Those almost always come back. Had one come begging back last year. It took me the full season to get the sod lawn back to where it was after not being on it for one season.

LawnTamer
02-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I had one of those several years ago. They left me for the mowing guy, then called about the end of may, wanting me to fix their lawn. I went and looked at it, and firmly believe that he did a spot weed spray with Round Up. :laugh::laugh:

Hoots
02-12-2009, 10:19 AM
I had one of those several years ago. They left me for the mowing guy, then called about the end of may, wanting me to fix their lawn. I went and looked at it, and firmly believe that he did a spot weed spray with Round Up. :laugh::laugh:

HAHA. I too have seen the ol' roundup weed control. They were spraying crabgrass with it and scratching their heads wondering why they had dead patches in their yard.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-12-2009, 10:43 AM
MY LAWN GUY CAN FERT MY LAWN
ok how is he going to deal with the weeds?
WEED AND FEED
thats nice
HAS HE PUT DOWN THE CRAB CONTROL YET?

NO you put it down too early he said:laugh:

i just smile and move on.

cod8825
02-13-2009, 11:55 AM
MY LAWN GUY CAN FERT MY LAWN

NO you put it down too early he said:laugh:

;);););) Exactly my point.

Ric
02-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Yep

Lost a good customer yesterday also due to them losing their house in the near future. The husband is out of work and she is a school teacher who has been told of pending lay off as well. However I have been picking up customers and for some strange reason I am ahead of the game for now. But I am not holding my breath waiting for more business.

I attended a Real Estate seminar this morning given by a PhD of finance. He was telling us the Real Estate Market is far away from hitting bottom and commercial property which has been good, is going down the tubes also. Those who are upside down in their house and still keeping up payments are getting hurt the worst because there is no help for them. He also said the Stimulus Bail out is only causing devaluation of our dollar on the world market and will do nothing to help. He said look for $ 5.00 a gallon gas by year end.

He told us to ride what little Gravy Train we might have as long as possible and don't spend any unnecessary money because we will need it. I have got to admit my investments are not paying off right now and were very good at one time. Obama was in SW Fla. on Monday because we have the highest unemployment in the country.

daveyo
02-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Yep

Lost a good customer yesterday also due to them losing their house in the near future. The husband is out of work and she is a school teacher who has been told of pending lay off as well. However I have been picking up customers and for some strange reason I am ahead of the game for now. But I am not holding my breath waiting for more business.

I attended a Real Estate seminar this morning given by a PhD of finance. He was telling us the Real Estate Market is far away from hitting bottom and commercial property which has been good, is going down the tubes also. Those who are upside down in their house and still keeping up payments are getting hurt the worst because there is no help for them. He also said the Stimulus Bail out is only causing devaluation of our dollar on the world market and will do nothing to help. He said look for $ 5.00 a gallon gas by year end.

He told us to ride what little Gravy Train we might have as long as possible and don't spend any unnecessary money because we will need it. I have got to admit my investments are not paying off right now and were very good at one time. Obama was in SW Fla. on Monday because we have the highest unemployment in the country.

Damn I'm surprised you didn't shoot yourself after that seminar, did you pay for that?

cod8825
02-14-2009, 11:16 AM
WOW! So what was the good news and yes did you pay for that.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Obama was in SW Fla. on Monday because we have the highest unemployment in the country.

WTF? I thought our city had that distinct title?:laugh: Elkhart, IN where he came first has the highest unemployment rate for a city in the US. Maybe Elkhart has the highest unemployment for a city & that area of FL has the highest for whole area? ;)

Either way, that "porkulous" bill has everything to do with growing government & nothing to do with growing jobs. IMHO we are in for some very nasty inflation in the future!