PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a dump trailer

Blink74
02-11-2009, 09:21 PM
I need some advice on a dump trailer. I was all set to buy a Bri-Mar 7X14 with 14k GVWR until I realized that my Siverado 2500HD will only handle about 10k plus you need a CDL to pull any thing heavier than 10k. I plan to use it mostly for mulch debris removal and occasionally stone so I don't need any thing too heavy. However I would like the option to put a bobcat in it. Seems to me a 12ft 12k is a good option. But is it worth an extra $2500, getting a CDL and taxing my truck? I'm thinking a 6X12 w/ 10k GVWR may be a better choice. Would i out-grow that too quick?

South Florida Lawns
02-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I say go with at least a 14k. A 6x12 weighs something like 3200 empty so thats only 6800lb of payload capacity. Spend the extra money now and work a deal. I don't know about your location but down here acquiring a CDL and what not isn't that big a deal. I'd say in my town 90% of the people that own bumper pull dump trailers don't have a cdl, so depending on your area you might not even need one.

Oh and that Chevy will pull it just fine.

hvphotog
02-13-2009, 04:19 PM
I need some advice on a dump trailer. I was all set to buy a Bri-Mar 7X14 with 14k GVWR until I realized that my Siverado 2500HD will only handle about 10k plus you need a CDL to pull any thing heavier than 10k. I plan to use it mostly for mulch debris removal and occasionally stone so I don't need any thing too heavy. However I would like the option to put a bobcat in it. Seems to me a 12ft 12k is a good option. But is it worth an extra $2500, getting a CDL and taxing my truck? I'm thinking a 6X12 w/ 10k GVWR may be a better choice. Would i out-grow that too quick?

CDL is required for 26,000 lbs and above combos anything below that without air brakes you will be fine.. I pull my trailer with mini which is about 15K with my F-350..

also with dump trailer make sure you get double pistons, goes up much faster with heavier loads

Petr51488
02-13-2009, 05:18 PM
With a 2500hd you don't need a cdl to drive it. I have a 14k dump with my 2500hd and and under the 26k cdl requirement. And your 2500hd can pull more then 10k, just get a brake controller if you don't allready have one.

wellbuilt
02-13-2009, 08:25 PM
You could pull a 14000lb trailer with out a CDL . I have 2 7x12 12000lb trailers and one 7x10 . I buy my trailers used for less then 2500 dollars . Now is the time for a deal . If you get a new trailer you should buy a 14' but there are tons of 12000 lb trailers around . The sellers asking price is around 4000 to 4500 dollars but i wave 2500 and after a month they sell it to me . I think the trailers are great . I load a 6500lb skid in mine I can move my 8000lb mine EX . The 10' trailer handles better but i like the 12 ' 12000lb .

Blink74
02-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I went today to look at some dump trailers. I'm gonna go with a 7X12 12k. I would like to have the 14, but if I fill the 12 to capacity I'll be taxing my truck. The 12' is gonna give me another 500# of pay load and I can build up the sides for more capacity. Plus, It seems to be a popular size for landscaping. Not to mention the smaller trailer is $750 cheaper. I'm probably gonna end up getting the Bri-Mar DT712LPHD-12.

LB1234
02-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I went today to look at some dump trailers. I'm gonna go with a 7X12 12k. I would like to have the 14, but if I fill the 12 to capacity I'll be taxing my truck. The 12' is gonna give me another 500# of pay load and I can build up the sides for more capacity. Plus, It seems to be a popular size for landscaping. Not to mention the smaller trailer is $750 cheaper. I'm probably gonna end up getting the Bri-Mar DT712LPHD-12.

Do yourself a favor and think about going with the 14. We have the Bri-Mar 14'. We place rental equipment (skids, TLBs, mini-Xs, etc.) on it and the length of the trailer for TLB's is a little small. We always wind up having a bucket (or two) sticking around the sides. The full-size skid fits but it is a little tight. I can't imagine loosing 2' in my length.

Also, make sure you are also going to get one with drop axles. You'd be surprised about the approach angle and how difficult it can be to get a tracked machine up the ramps. Sometimes we wind up parking in areas with inclines to lessen the angle. Any specifics feel free to PM. good luck, it has been a VERY good, LOW maintenance trailer for us. BTW we pull it with two 2500HD trucks...one with a 6.0 and another with 8.1, both gassers.

good luck with your decision:waving:

scagtiger
02-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Do yourself a favor and think about going with the 14. We have the Bri-Mar 14'. We place rental equipment (skids, TLBs, mini-Xs, etc.) on it and the length of the trailer for TLB's is a little small. We always wind up having a bucket (or two) sticking around the sides. The full-size skid fits but it is a little tight. I can't imagine loosing 2' in my length.

Also, make sure you are also going to get one with drop axles. You'd be surprised about the approach angle and how difficult it can be to get a tracked machine up the ramps. Sometimes we wind up parking in areas with inclines to lessen the angle. Any specifics feel free to PM. good luck, it has been a VERY good, LOW maintenance trailer for us. BTW we pull it with two 2500HD trucks...one with a 6.0 and another with 8.1, both gassers.

good luck with your decision:waving:

I agree really think about goin with a 14 foot... thats what i have and it fills up quick.. we had a 12 before and the 2 extra feet make a huge difference. Are you lookin for a gooseneck or tag a long trailer? Our 14 foot is a gooseneck and it pulls way better then our bumper pull 12ft. Take a look at the loadtrail/loadmax trailers they all have scissor lifts and are just as good of quality if not better then a bri mar and with a little cheaper price tag

Blink74
02-15-2009, 12:56 PM
It will definitely be a bumper pull that is another reason I think the 12 will be better. Another thing I like about the 12 is that the deck height is only 23" high. The 14' has a 27" deck height. We rarely use skid loaders and heavy equipment and if we end up buying one I will get an equipment hauler.

KLM service
02-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Check out www.hillequipmenttrailers.com I got one two years ago, saved thousands and I'm doing everything with it that you are wanting to do.

Kevin

letsplay
02-15-2009, 08:04 PM
I wjould also recommend going with a 14' dump trailer. I would also recommend going with a scissor lift and a pintle hitch rated for your needs and then some just to be safe. Make sure factory trailer hitch mount can handle the load you are planning on using. You should be fine. I have run my 8 ft x 14 dump trailer with the same truck you are using. It strains a little to start with but the key is not starting but being able to STOP that monster if you have to.

Make sure you check the amount of weight the dump trailer will dump.....this is important because what the axles can handle and what the dump hydrolics can handle is different (learned this the hard way having to unload a load at the dump by hand). I have had my dump trailer for a couple of years but I think they now make a 11k lb scissor lift instead of the 9k lb lift that I have on my 14k lb rated trailer.

The next thing I would consider is how you are planning on loading and dumping the trailer. Are you going to use a wheelbarrow and ramps to load/unload everything from the rear or are you going to just dump stuff over the sides or use a compact skid loader? This will affect if you get a deck over dump or low axle dump. I agree with another member of this site that said it can be awkward (if not unsafe) to load large equipment onto a dump trailer with ramps.

I don't like the low axle dump trailers because you can't dump materials in one large pile, it seems you have to dump materials in a long low pile because the trailer will not dump as high (again just my opinion).

If you do any type of carpentry work (arbors, decks etc) you will appreciate the 14 foot length on the trailer. Most dump trailers say they are twelve feet long but you need to measure the inside of the trailer to make sure it truely is.

Just some thoughts. We use our dump trailer alot and don't know how we got along with out it.

:usflag:

Blink74
02-18-2009, 05:31 PM
I checked with the Ohio State Patrol and a CDL is not needed for a GCWR under 26k regardless of trailer weight.

I'm still up inn the air on the size. I want the 7X14' but it weighs 4200# empty and my 2500HDs have a maximum towing capacity of 9600#. About half of my towing capacity will be used up on the trailer. 95% of my hauling is light weight materials, however even a small skid loader would be over the limit. The 7X12' weighs 3600# and even that is a bit heavy, but I won't go any smaller.

This is so frustrating. I just bought a new truck and don't plan to buy another soon.

scagtiger
02-19-2009, 11:22 AM
i have a 2500 truck and it pulls my 14ft just fine

Blink74
02-27-2009, 06:53 PM
I finally made a decision. Yesterday I picked up a new Bri-Mar DT714LP-HD. That is the 7'X14' 12k capacity low profile dump trailer. Thanks for the help.

hvphotog
02-27-2009, 08:56 PM
nice dump... what was the final cost on it?

krider
02-27-2009, 09:13 PM
In Mass you need a CDL if your trailer is registered for more than 10000 lbs. I have a Cam superline equipment trailer that has a GVW of 13500 but is only registered for 10000lbs. that way if i load it up to 10000 lbs im not stressing the trailer. My JD110 TLB and the trailer scale out at 9700lbs.

Blink74
02-27-2009, 11:06 PM
$7195 was the total. It wasn't cheap. Although, I believe over the life of the trailer, it will be well worth the investment. I bought it out of state from Trailer Enterprises, MD. They had it shipped and saved me a nice chunk of change.

hvphotog
02-27-2009, 11:50 PM
In Mass you need a CDL if your trailer is registered for more than 10000 lbs. I have a Cam superline equipment trailer that has a GVW of 13500 but is only registered for 10000lbs. that way if i load it up to 10000 lbs im not stressing the trailer. My JD110 TLB and the trailer scale out at 9700lbs.

In NY your combo is good up to 25,999 GVRW before you need a CDL
I have a cam superline 7 ton trailer i pull with my F-350 and i am legal

Petr51488
02-28-2009, 12:34 AM
$7195 was the total. It wasn't cheap. Although, I believe over the life of the trailer, it will be well worth the investment. I bought it out of state from Trailer Enterprises, MD. They had it shipped and saved me a nice chunk of change.

Yea, mine was about 1k less.. Very expensive, but their great trailers!

sunray
02-28-2009, 01:08 AM
I have a 7x14 anderson 14k, Your going to love having a dump trailer.
It's the best investment you can make.

hvphotog
02-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Eventually i would love to get a 5th wheel dump.. within a year or two...

King Cuts Landscaping
02-28-2009, 06:52 PM

We have a 07 2500hd gasser and pulls our 10,000 ezdump 6x12 trailer with 10 yards of mulch no problem. ezdump makes a nice trailer and the Chevy pulls it all day just fine. If you are over 10,001 total weight truck trailer and load but under 26,000 you will need DOT #'s which we have mainly for our F550. One time we weighted in at the scales at our local dump at around 19,800 pounds and weight out empty around 8,500 pounds. True story! Just thought I would throw that in there strong little Chevy and ezdump trailer.

bobbyr
03-03-2009, 12:36 PM
you said that if you decide to haul equipment then you will buy a trailer just for that. so with that in mind have you ever thought about a side dump check out the contractors series side dump pull behind it built like a tank and is made out of 100,000lb.yeild steel you don't see that much in your dump trailer market:usflag: