PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable pricing

Surferbum21
02-11-2009, 09:27 PM
I am still just in the process of getting into this and as a rookie I know this guy is flipping stupid and his prices are ridiculous. Had a flyer on my door (names of business and people have been omitted to protect them) and for a single treatment it was $38.00 which is definately reasonable. Here is where it gets stupid. It says if you prepay get a 10% discount. So that should be $34.20 right? I mean I'm not a rocket science but I can do simple math. Well it shows the price at $171 for the discounted prepay. If you take $171/ 6 apps that comes out to be $28.50 per app. That's way more than 10% off not to mention way to low to be spraying these yards.

Here is the best (or worst part)!!! It even includes a coupon for one free lawn treatment on top of the discounted 10% (actually 30% or so). So taking the $28.50 per app (prepay season price) off the $171 would be $142.50 making his price per application....$23.75!!!!!!! Flucking ridiculous. Maybe I should contract out to him and charge my people normal prices.

THC
02-11-2009, 09:34 PM
There is a co. around here that puts out flyers every spring offering $70 yard clean up (5k lot) and free fertilizer. Also, if you join there weekly lawn cutting you get a free fert program.

LawnTamer
02-11-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm sure the $171 is for 5 apps. $34.20 x 5 = $171. That is cheap, adding a free spray on top of that is lowball cheap. I would consider calling him and letting him know that he is leaving a lot of money on the table.

KACYDS
02-11-2009, 09:40 PM
I work to make money, not because its something to do for fun.

Most lawns in the New Orleans area are small, so most of my work is spraying and fert. gardens. I have a mininum of $100 per service, and most people dont have a problem with that. I dont do anything for $20-$30. Thats insane.

Also I don't have to deal with any national chains. This helps.

Surferbum21
02-11-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm sure the $171 is for 5 apps. $34.20 x 5 = $171. That is cheap, adding a free spray on top of that is lowball cheap. I would consider calling him and letting him know that he is leaving a lot of money on the table.

no...it's 6...all 6 shown of what is involved. which makes it even worse

LawnTamer
02-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Are you sure the 6 doesn't include the freebie?

You will need to separate yourself from guys like this to make it you know. Have you worked on your program?

KACYDS
02-11-2009, 09:55 PM
You will need to separate yourself from guys like this to make it you know. Have you worked on your program?

I agree, you need to sell your service, and why you are better than your competitors.

ted putnam
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
........and still there will be those that think only in terms of $$$.

Surferbum21
02-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Are you sure the 6 doesn't include the freebie?

Yup! about got it all figured out. 6 apps...all lined up and ready to sell. just trying to find a rig now. there is a couple in tulsa but varmit checked one out and said not worth it. I have an old neighbor from my mom's neigborhood that was a retired fire fighter and did this for 3 years. I called him up to do a ride along and he said he was quiting. He has really nice equipment I'm going to take a look at. Little pricey he seemed for used equipment but still check it out.