PDA

View Full Version : Pig Poop????

Pristine1
02-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Okay, more questions! I may have a source for pig and possibly goat poop. How is this for vermicomposting. I may also be able to set up at this site, so I could be up and running with a nice little operation....if the pig poop works!

AmsoilPower
02-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I never thought I would see a thread like this one but will be curious to see where it goes. I lived on a farm and raised hogs for the first 20 years of my life. Hog s!@# grows good corn and beans when knived into the ground!!!

treegal1
02-12-2009, 09:39 AM
ANY POOP will work!!!!!!

DUSTYCEDAR
02-12-2009, 10:38 AM
pig poo is nasty
how do they handle it?
how wet is it when you get it?
is there a place you can compost it for a while first?

Pristine1
02-12-2009, 05:28 PM
From what I understand, the farmer already is composting it and giving it away to local gardeners. If any poop will work, then I guess that free poop is the best poop huh?!

StoneFaced
02-12-2009, 05:41 PM
In the city, that's big business. In my region, large companies try to monopolize by acquiring rights to contract w/ sewer treatment facilities, farm waste, city leaf humus, and just about anything else that is organic that will rot. They convert into their "special" soil blends, and sell it back.

nosparkplugs
02-12-2009, 05:50 PM
In the city, that's big business. In my region, large companies try to monopolize by acquiring rights to contract w/ sewer treatment facilities, farm waste, city leaf humus, and just about anything else that is organic that will rot. They convert into their "special" soil blends, and sell it back.

I would agree sounds like the farmer don't know what he got if he is giving it away. Pig poo is also high in methane gas:laugh::dizzy:; which can be used to power his farm, and worth$$$$

treegal1
02-12-2009, 11:17 PM
yes you guys have the idea, the only thing you forget is that we also get paid to take there waste...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

back to the swine manure

try this its in dollars and cents

http://oema.osu.edu/documents/Treatingmanurelikeafertilizer2-OFdec07Final2.pdf

1.2.3. green
02-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Rabbit poo highest in npk by a long shot no burning and minimal odor

treegal1
02-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Rabbit poo highest in npk by a long shot no burning and minimal odor

and it comes in nice little pellets................

White Gardens
02-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Back home we used to use pig manure in our fields.

The access pipe for the pit would always be a mess after three days of using a "Honey Wagon" to suck the pits out. We would take a tractor and loader to scrap away the muck and stick it in the garden, and man, it grew some great vegetables.

If I had to make a list of manures to use, I'd say pig, chicken, cow, and horse manure are at the top of the list.

The only thing that sucks about hog manure is it stinks, really bad, and it doesn't seem to ever come out of your cloths and takes days for it to come out of your nose hairs.

Pristine1
02-18-2009, 11:28 AM
I believe that the farmer is composting the hog manure on a regular basis, so I would be getting it with some shavings and hopefully slightly decomposed. My plan is to use it for a worm farm to then make CT.

treegal1
02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
ok just so I can say that i said, all manures are different, just like any other fert you need to know what is in it and what the soil is missing so that you can make available the nutrients needed...............pig is big P

all in all rabbit is the highest overall concentration of NPK, and one of the safest to handle raw........

Pristine1
02-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I think you did say that TG....or maybe it was in another thread, but you have said somewhere that you need to replace what is missing in the soil. If I am varying the input to a worm farm, making sure that there is a good mix of nutrients going in, then I assume that is what I will get out????

Also, if there is a glaring deficiency on a certain property, can I brew a tea that has a higher concentration of what would be needed????

treegal1
02-18-2009, 01:08 PM
ass-u-me. I don't want to go there, but yes you may want at least the 20 $ test for your casts, just one to get a base line.

second most of the time the worm casts are for the biology, that's why we like the fresh stuff.......

and bending the tea to fit, yes you can brew with inputs and compost made to meet the needs of your soil, fish oil sea weed, extra iron, maybe some low dose minerals, soy can be added just before the spray. but it all comes down to the tests, or hit and miss plot tests that take forever!!!

treegal1
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
last year i spent almost 10K $ on tests. go ahead and barf or pass out........................

ok that said i made 4$ for every 1 i spent on the tests with the tests. example, mr X says why do i need the treatments you recommend...... wait wait...... BAM soil test!!!!! now he sees the value!!! and my competition that does not test, well they are no longer competition!!!!

next example, and it may not apply to u but same thing... tree farm X says why use your stuff, and. BAM soil test to explain that my soil has XYZ + yada yada.... that saves you X $'s on fert for the year... savings that they understand, SOLD!!!

golf guys are easy.... comical is also easy, hey no re entry time!!! and your "green" they love that!!

treegal1
02-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I think you did say that TG....or maybe it was in another thread, but you have said somewhere that you need to replace what is missing in the soil. If I am varying the input to a worm farm, making sure that there is a good mix of nutrients going in, then I assume that is what I will get out????

Also, if there is a glaring deficiency on a certain property, can I brew a tea that has a higher concentration of what would be needed???? wow 3 rd post in a row, sorry but i keep getting more calls today....

any ways, some things just take so long to fix organically that it is almost a waste or a risk to lose the customer, lets say that you need some Mg and a shot of N to start, explain that. tell then that test say that you need X and your going to have to fix the soil before you can make the soil work correctly, then add what you need and after the soil is soso then start your organic ways, toss some salt and 3 hail marys and let the herd clean up your sins....... I mean Bioremediation............

White Gardens
02-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Good Posts Treegal, spot on about the testing.