PDA

View Full Version : Fireman looking to start part time

flames46
02-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm a fireman looking to start maintaining lawns on my days off. I work 24 hr shifts and then I'm off for 48. I really don't want to be too big, I'd just like to have steady part time work and hopefully profit 200-300 per week. I need all kinds of advice. I have a good commercial grade blower and trimmer already that I use at home. I have a full size truck. I need a mower and a trailer. I also need clients. I don't want to start out in debt, so I'd like to get started for 5,000 or less. Any suggestions on equipment, getting business, and whether or not this is a good idea would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Pro Edge Lawn & Landscape
02-12-2009, 03:06 PM
First thing first... Welcome to the site! Are your days off the same each week? To profit 300 a week is easy. With out knowing your area I can only speak of mine. You can get started with a used 36 wb for around 1000.00, I asume you have a21 for your own lawn? If not get a 21 for 500.00 (not commercial but you don't need it), Pick up a used 6x10 trailer for 1000.00. Start out with flyers in your neighborhood and friends and family. If solo all you need is 15 accounts at 30.00 each wk. Thats 450.00 gross, take out fuel,dump fees,and maint. your easy money! I started out looking for extra money part time too, and now we have over 200 accounts each week and love it! thats my 2 cents and good luck

ffemtmcd
02-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi there - that's exactly what I'm doing now - I started for about 2K and just upgrade as needed when I have the money. I started with free business cards from vista print and also advertised on Craigslist - cheesey but it works. I'm currently at 8 customers for $35/ cut. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

flames46
02-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the info guys. My days off rotate. I basically work every third day.

bohiaa
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Man, what's the deal with firemen........are WE NOT paying you guys good ?

Ruben Rocha
02-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Thats a tough call $5000.00 does not buy much today.
You must have something right now to mow with even if it is not a commercial mower.
Trailer is going to cost a few bucks.
So I would backtrack.
What type of lawn or service can you provide a customer with the least amount of investment in equipment.
Then what amount of income can you get from them.
Start from there.
Then plan for the future.
First item is going to be something to get the equipment to the site.(trailer)
Then if you elect to use your home owner mower at first. It is probably going to be the first to go. So plan on a good commercial mower from the start.

Toy2
02-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Mow your own lawn, do a great job, pop a sign in front with your company info....etc....

Yes get a 36'' Walkbehind, it will fit most backyard gates, also a small trailer is on your list, nothing huge, also have a backup plan, meaning have an extra blower, extra trimmer, extra mower...

36'' WB and your 21''
Good Trimmer and a back up.
Good blower and a back up, even a broom..you also need to look at an edger..

Trust me when one piece goes down, you grab the next and go.....makes life alot easier.....use the search button on this site as well....ton of info.....

I said it the other day, you guys have great schedules to do this kind of job...Good luck..

scottgalat
02-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Consider a new John deere La125, or whatever is the current replacement of that model. Your needs are not for a high performance ZTR. This unit will serve your cutting needs and will only be 1/3 slower than ZTR,If your actual mowing time is 6 hrs a week, your total loss of productivity for the whole week is about 2 hrs, and cost is $6000 less. at $300 per week that is 20 weeks, most of your season 1 profits. I'd give up 2 hrs/week to have 3/4 more profit year 1
La 125, An easy to operate hydro, foot operated tractor. push forward on pedal go fwd. stomp on reverse pedal...go reverse. You are an expert on it in an hour. It is cheap at around 2k., lightweight, cheap and easy to keep running. Don't hit things with the deck and your spindles will be fine. at 200 hrs. pop out the front wheel bearings and replace. It will last for many years.
The engine, transmission, deck and frame wil last. Everything else is easy and cheap to fix. Don't buy the gear model...too mch time lost shifting from fwd-rev. I like the 42" deck.48" is available on similar model. Mulch plate straps on and off for quick discharge if needed. Generous horsepower 21 or 22 on a lightweight mower. The engine quality is not a factor, no matter which engine you get, over 20 hp... will last 1/2 a decade. Do not ever start a day without first cleaning the air filter, and you will have an engine last 5+ years. Grease it as advised in manual, lube spray all obvious moving parts. Need to replace the whole tranny 3 years from now?... do it youself in an hour. (You won't need to do that, though). The John Deere dealer will tell you that those units aren't commercial.....their $6000 and up models are. Well I've cut a h*ll of a lot more grass than the John deere dealer does and I'm telling you....if you can get your work done at 5 mph vs 7 mph then this mower is a true great value. I had one as a primary unit on a route last year doing 120 lawns per week. We seriously abused that poor mower...the only problems were when They'd hit things ...like a hidden stump. (new spindle, entire assembly $85., and a 5-nut wrenchin' job to fix) and the front wheel bearings as I advise a pre-emptive 200 hr. replace for $20. so you can pop them out before they fall apart. The lightweight is a very good feature. Foot operation is tops. High power to weight ratio allows makes deep grass performance closer to a 27 hp ZTR, noticably more powerful than 19-21hp ZTRs.
Most mid-mount zero turns are around at least 1000 lbs and are sometimes 1800 lbs or more
JD LA125....425 lbs or so. Put one in a soft ditch and you'll appreciate the ability to wrestle it out without a tow. No rutting.
ZTRS are great high productive units. I question the need for your use, at $300/week you can get that out of two day's with a 21". This is considerably better than a 21" and will be a breeze to hit you productivity
needs. The hydro/foot combo boosts productivity.
If I was you, I'd go that way. I don't see the logic to working 3/4 of a season just to buy the mowers so you can be out mowing. I enjoy the job...but only when it puts good profits into my pocket. Lowes has a trailer
4X6 that holds that unit...and nothing else $499. too small for your "wants" their 5X& is $700 new. Your not expanding ....why tote unused trailer space around? Throw the 21", if needed, in the bed of your truck, same with edger, blower,weedeater, and gas cans. Add weedeater string, edger blades and your off. $2,800 total?

CLARK LAWN
02-12-2009, 08:50 PM

i feel the same way. im a volunteer FF and all we hear is how we are taking union jobs and money out of their pockets, even though our town is all volunteer. but its OK for them to mow lawns and take money out of my pocket.there are so many opportunities in the fire fighter field for extra income why wouldnt you pursue something like that?

mulchhead
02-12-2009, 09:28 PM
No YOU are not paying us enough. Why are the "professional" guys worried, we are just firemen. Flames46 good luck. Buy commercial equipment, insurance, and of course just like our other career do it the best you can.

ffemtmcd
02-12-2009, 10:18 PM
No YOU are not paying us enough. Why are the "professional" guys worried, we are just firemen. Flames46 good luck. Buy commercial equipment, insurance, and of course just like our other career do it the best you can.

Well said - No we don't make enough and for the volly's, I started out volunteering and we have a combo dept., and we're union - don't lump everyone in one box. Some of our best guys are career volunteers.

This is America right?? We have the right to start a business just like the next guy, to improve our standard of living and provide a service?? Just curious.

Sorry to take this thread on a tangent.

Good luck brother. PM if you need any help or anything

bohiaa
02-12-2009, 10:49 PM

Dont get all bent out of shape!!!!!

IT's Jsut a Question, it seems there are a ton of FF here. it doesn't bother me one bit. there are even a few in my town. they call me when they have jobs they can't handle, The few jobs they do have, all's they do is cut grass anyway, Were a Full service Co. the mow and go's useually get a lot of lower class customer, and when the Customers want a Full service they call the Pros. Jsut as I would if a fire got out of hand.

Lighten up, if it's that stressfull, maybe you should try cutting grass and leave the FD.

Best of Luck

flames46
02-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I appreciate all the information. I have decided to buy a 36" walk behind mower and a 5 x 10 trailer and take the plunge. I've found a Gravely with 220 hours for around $3000. Is that high? This particular model retails for about $4500 new. Oh, about being a fireman, most of us don't do it for the money. In fact, volunteers do it for free. Us career guys are fortunate enough to get paid.(a little) Yall have been very helpful.

Carolina Cutter
02-13-2009, 11:52 AM

I was one for 18 years...and I can tell you that the pay SUCKS! I HAD to go into business to feed, clothe, and house my family...and there are only 2 of us.

Almost ALL firemen have a second job of some sort.

mobileboy
02-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Flames,

Please reconsider that Gravely! Check out Better Outdoor products! You can get a brand new Quick 36 with Kaw KAI for much less than that! I bought my Quick 36 Ninga last year and couldn't be happier! Plus, it is much lighter and more compact than the Gravely, HYDRO TOO! I bought mine for 3000. That included a step saver sulky, Accelerator aluminum grass catcher, 3 sets of blades, service kit with new spindles, cables, etc. 2 new oil filters, 2 new kAW oil change kits, new plugs, and a friggin t-shirt! :clapping:

You can do it! I am part time and could literally fill every free hour with a new customer if I wanted. You will reach your income goals quickly, just don't let the equipment bug destroy you! Get some decent stuff and stick with it. WANTS AND NEEDS!!! LOL. Check out Craigslist for a used trailer. I search several cities in my area, and there is always a great deal on a used trailer.

Ruben Rocha
02-13-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't think most people understand about Firemen.
I am not one but my father was one for 30+ years before he passed away.

Here in my area of Florida.
They work on duty 24 hours then off 48 hours. Meaning at the station not at their home.
At first you may think this is a great job but I think you need to be dedicated to the service you provide.
First of all is the sacrifice to their family's. They are gone 24 hours from their household. They may be called out at any time during their shift and may work 24+ hours. When they go home they may not see their family at all because they worked for the last 24+ hours due to responding to a call out to save our lives. So they are resting.

Besides risking their lives to save ours, I don't know what else you could ask of them.
Maybe one day when you call 911 because your home is burning down or someone needs emergency assistance you will have a new appreciation of what they do and what they sacrifice to help you in your hour of need.

Then their pay is not much better than our school teachers.
Trying to find a part time job to supplement their pay and support their families is worse due to the rotating days off. You think McDonalds is going to hire them when they need a different day off each week?
I don't think so!

So give them a break!

ffemtmcd
02-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Hit the nail on the head ruben - thanks

Ruben Rocha
02-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Just venting I guess.
Tired of people beating up our civil service Firemen.
I have all the respect in the world for you guys.

And I am not one myself.

kyfireman2004
02-13-2009, 07:40 PM
The majority of people that rip on fireman are either just beginning out or don't have enough clients. Do you really think tru green or brinkman cares that some fireman are mowing some lawns or do doing some install work?
If you were looking to get more work a fireman is a great person to ask. If he mows the chances are he doesn't do install work. and viceversa. I know a guy that mows full time and he pass me install work he knows that over his head. In return I would give him all my fert and squirt.

flames46
02-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Sorry everyone. I didn't meant to instigate the Fireman tangent. This was my first post and I didn't realize that it would cause all this. I'm just looking for advice from people who know what they're doing. Thanks for the help.

Hoots
02-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Fire fighters, thank you for the work you do.

My brother-in-law is a fire fighter.

I think the issue that some people might have with off duty fire fighters mowing is the part-time mowing appearance. Those that only mow, fert, install etc. cannot really go find another part time gig to make ends meet like yall. The only "extra jobs" we can go find are in the winter time. The properties that off duty fire fighters, and "after regular job" other guys mow, could be available to full time companies.

I for one started off mowing part time after my work at a golf course.I did that until I had enough customers and income to go full time and grow my mowing business.

Now for the ethical part. When advertising, PLEASE do not advertise as an off duty fire fighter. In my opinion, that plays on some peoples emotions and would steer them to you and not "XYZ Lawn Company". Again, IMO, there are some actual businesses that are named "God's Lawn Company" and other variations which are not ethical ways to attract business.

Just do it on a level businesss playing field.

ffemtmcd, you are absolutely correct.
This is America right?? We have the right to start a business just like the next guy, to improve our standard of living and provide a service?? Just curious.

Tommy Boy
02-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Get a new or slightly used 36"walk behind (Hydro) if you can afford it. 6X12 trailer, edger, trimmer, blower. Start small work your circle of friends, get feed back, and then advertise. Pay cash for as much as possible and keep your over head low.

Good luck my friend!

lawnprosteveo
02-14-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm a fireman looking to start maintaining lawns on my days off. I work 24 hr shifts and then I'm off for 48. I really don't want to be too big, I'd just like to have steady part time work and hopefully profit 200-300 per week. I need all kinds of advice. I have a good commercial grade blower and trimmer already that I use at home. I have a full size truck. I need a mower and a trailer. I also need clients. I don't want to start out in debt, so I'd like to get started for 5,000 or less. Any suggestions on equipment, getting business, and whether or not this is a good idea would be greatly appreciated.

thanksHey...full time paid FF here...Ive been mowing 7 yrs on my days off. Here is the best advice I can give:

1. Dont go into debt on this deal. Buy a good used walk behind, a trimmer, a blower, and maybe an edger. But PAY CASH!! Also, nothing is more irritating than a full time FF who mows 10 accounts per week with a $45K truck, a $10k mower, and all the toys. Just pisses me off.

2. Dont lowball. Youll only end up hurting yourself and every other LCO out there trying to put food on the table. Not to mention all the full time LCO's on here will want to kick your ass and put bubble gum in your hair!

3. Dont call yourself "Firehouse Lawns" or "Hero Landscaping" or "Dragonslayer/Lawn Cutter" And dont put 75 IAFF stickers all over your truck/trailer and a maltese cross on your lawn shirts....WHY you ask? its obnoxious and if you get into it with a customer, they will call your Chief and he will not hesitate to get all up in your Kool-Aid and F up your life.

4. Dont take on so much work that you miss out on your family. Keep your weekends free for them if at all possible.

I hope this helps. I only say it because Ive experienced it. Good Luck!

Bol O Dhia Ort!:usflag:

Tommy Boy
02-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Well said, I only wish NozzleHead had this approach - see his post on same site

Steveo - no bubble gum here, you sound like a professional both on the job and behind a mower, thank for the job and the professionislm

SCAG POWER
02-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Around here it seems that every fireman has a mower. This past year i have seen more people driving cars with mowers sticking out of their trunks. Normaly it would not be an issue, but when the customer says the fire man can cut it cheaper, or the fire man is married, or some other sorry story.I got so tired of hearing it,that i started tell people that shure they need to get away from their wifes. That's why they mow or they need more beer money. I use this too totaly support my self,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. They can teach classes at the locial community college and make twice the money , rather than mowing yards.Stick to putting out fires and leave mowing to those of us who do it full time.

lawnprosteveo
02-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Around here it seems that every fireman has a mower. This past year i have seen more people driving cars with mowers sticking out of their trunks. Normaly it would not be an issue, but when the customer says the fire man can cut it cheaper, or the fire man is married, or some other sorry story.I got so tired of hearing it,that i started tell people that shure they need to get away from their wifes. That's why they mow or they need more beer money. I use this too totaly support my self,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. They can teach classes at the locial community college and make twice the money , rather than mowing yards.Stick to putting out fires and leave mowing to those of us who do it full time.ScagPower: I know where you are coming from. I know ALOT of firemen that mow for something to do or for play money. And ALOT of them undercharge...mostly out of total ignorance. They havent taken time to properly learn the business by coming to sites like this.

I, however, do this job because I need the money. Yes, I could go drive an ambulance or teach FF classes at the local college. But I would rather mow...I think Id rather stick a gun in my mouth than teach FF classes for extra pay.

In fact, if I was forced to pick one job or the other, Id probably pick LCO.

So I dont blame you for your frustration. But I for one will do my part to try to educate all the hosejockeys out there on how to properly charge for their services.

SHARPLAWN
02-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey...full time paid FF here...Ive been mowing 7 yrs on my days off. Here is the best advice I can give:

1. Dont go into debt on this deal. Buy a good used walk behind, a trimmer, a blower, and maybe an edger. But PAY CASH!! Also, nothing is more irritating than a full time FF who mows 10 accounts per week with a $45K truck, a $10k mower, and all the toys. Just pisses me off.

2. Dont lowball. Youll only end up hurting yourself and every other LCO out there trying to put food on the table. Not to mention all the full time LCO's on here will want to kick your ass and put bubble gum in your hair!

3. Dont call yourself "Firehouse Lawns" or "Hero Landscaping" or "Dragonslayer/Lawn Cutter" And dont put 75 IAFF stickers all over your truck/trailer and a maltese cross on your lawn shirts....WHY you ask? its obnoxious and if you get into it with a customer, they will call your Chief and he will not hesitate to get all up in your Kool-Aid and F up your life.

4. Dont take on so much work that you miss out on your family. Keep your weekends free for them if at all possible.

I hope this helps. I only say it because Ive experienced it. Good Luck!

Bol O Dhia Ort!:usflag:

Haha.. lmao... DRAGONSLAYER/LAWN CUTTER Wow.. classic. I hope you havent really seen anyone with this!

I love reading posts by people who hate firefighters or who hate firefighters working hard to make a buck. Didn't All you brothers know that when you decide to become a firefighter; you take an oath of poverty and are thereby forbidden to work hard and seek the American dream? I mean... its not like we have any rights. As soon as we go to work for taxpayers they own our souls and can tell us what we can and cannot do IN OUR TIME OFF. It doesnt matter that many of us already work 48 hours a week in defense of their lives and property; how dare we work in our time off?? Hahaha.. classic.. it would make me cry with laughter if it didn't make me see red so quickly.

Good luck to ANYONE trying to make a go with their own business and a special Good Luck to all my fellow firefighters out there. SLAY THE DRAGON!!!!!!!

Grits
02-16-2009, 12:27 AM
I don't care if FF's cut grass. But if fireman pay is so bad, why be a fireman? For the chicks?

bohiaa
02-16-2009, 03:17 AM
Sorry everyone. I didn't meant to instigate the Fireman tangent. This was my first post and I didn't realize that it would cause all this. I'm just looking for advice from people who know what they're doing. Thanks for the help.

yea, I didn't realize it either, in fact it started a 2nd post.
But I can say that I now understand why firemen seek 2nd jobs.
and thanks everyone, I didn't realize the pay was that low...

MOW ED
02-16-2009, 07:04 AM
lawnprostevo is right on with his advice. I have been in the fire biz for 24 years (19 full time and 5 as a POC) and the lawn care biz for 14. I can't think of many more tips other than to run the lawn care operation as a business. Know your numbers off the bat. Its alot more than buying a bunch of equipment and putting flyers in doors.

I know you know how to work hard physically and initially you may work harder until the business affords you the ability to buy equipment that helps you work smarter.

As far as all the so called experts on our way of life, I respect peoples opinions as long as they respect me. I make no apologies for what I do, that includes being a firefighter or running a lawn care business.

You know the type of person that always has an opinion about how we are taking jobs or just sitting around are really ignorant. These people have no idea and never will and I certainly don't have to explain myself to them. If you are on the job, you know what we do.

As far as the volly above is concerned, there are some really good Volunteer firefighters that I know and know they could be full time and do a great job if they chose to be. They are a credit to our profession being a volunteer, or paid on call. Clark lawns, by reading the crap you posted above, I can say you aren't one of them.

ffduffy24
10-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Kind of in the same boat as you. Just going to buy bigger equipment as needed.

SCAG POWER
06-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Yea i would love too get out of the house as much as fireman do. Hay hanging out with buddies , no nagging. well may be not as much............. I use to drive a limo till the business went down hill, mow yards in the season, limo off season. But not I am looking at going over seas to do PMC work. You start see t that here is no money here at all. In Orlando Florida every body cuts every bodies price down to crap. It is worse than when i was in out side sales.

Most fireman that i know do not mow grass. They teach school at the locial community college and get paid way more and they are in the A/C most of the day.................or the fitness center on their days off.

I do not mow that much any more just not worth it , so i fitness center most of the time............

Over seas contractor. is where the money is at. just waitng on a call.

DuraCutter
06-11-2010, 11:40 PM

Haha... you're right, it sounds different doesn't it.

Problem is firemen when they are busy, it's crazy busy, but when they are not busy, it's thinking time, and they get to sleep and are on shift so long, there's all kinds of time off. Typically, firemen will come up with all kinds of business ideas, you name it, they've tried it.

I personally think they should work just like the rest of us, 8 hours on etc...

It's just me though...

Good luck

aeures
07-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Been a FF for 4 years and started a small biz 2 years ago. My two cents start small and do a good job and word of mouth will do the rest. To all the FF haters dont talk crap till you have done it yourself. I love stupid people that talk crap till they are the ones needing the help from a FF. Love ya stupid people keep up the good work.

MOW ED
07-04-2010, 05:39 PM
You can go back over the years and find lots of ignorant morons here who have a problem with firefighters. Hey there aren't many professions where you can have full time and volunteers. See many volunteer plumbers? How about volunteer electricians? Any volunteer lawn care operators? (the way some of these clowns price you would think so)
I am full time for 20 years and a poc for 5 before that, I also mow lawns. I could give a crap less if someone is jealous or ignorant or wahtever. You can take the test and see if you have what it takes to get on the job, otherwise be happy you live in America and have the opportunity to do just about whatever you want.
This type of thread just stirs sh1t but hey I dove in a second time.

ffemt1271
07-04-2010, 05:51 PM
other than what everyone else said, i got magnetic signs for my truck (including the tailgate). didnt letter it so i could take them off when it's parked at the fire station.

Hoy landscaping
07-04-2010, 09:44 PM

Actually no. they dont get paid enough.

J & D Greens
07-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Actually no. they dont get paid enough.

No-body get paid enough these days, everyone has to work 2 jobs and have their spouse work as well to raise a family. I applaud anyone who is willing to go out and get something going instead of waiting for some pie in the sky solution to what it takes to take care of our families needs.

I started the same way you did to off set medical bill four years ago. Except I worked full-time and got off at 11 am. each day 5 days a week, went out to mow 5 yards afterward.

I had a echo 210 trimmer and a 21" mower and a McLaine edger to start with. I picked up a used cheap blower and a small trailer, just wide enough to fit two 21" side by side and 7'8" long. It is the best purchase I have made. It cost me only $225.00 and later I put a rack and tail gate on for another for $200.00 I did the work myself, I can fit it any ware that those big rigs can't. Being a solo operator that is about all you need in a trailer anyway for now. It would have been nice to have a 32" or 36" deck mower for the larger yards but even now that I have one (which buy the way it fits in that tiny trailer with the 21"pro-line turned sideways in the back) I find I only have need for it on about 35% of my accounts (they are that small) so if you don't need one right off the bat way spend the money until you do. You have $5,000.00 to start with? I would only buy as you need, The most important being insurance for this line of work (it would be sad to loose everything you own just to make $300-$500 on the side a week) Sounds like you need a good McLaine edger new-$250.00 used-$100.00(I would start with a walk behind first because the first edge on a lot of neglected yards need something powerful enough to cut through it, Then when you are doing enough lawns get a good stick edger). If your mower does a nice job use it until you have the need for another. If it breaks you still will have the funds to go out and buy a new commercial one (but I would save the cash and see if the need is in a deck mower?). My Toro Pro-line 21" is only about $1,000.00 and well worth the money you would spend. (but for that matter any commercial brand 21" would do.

Now if My calculations are right
You have
Mower-$0
Blower-$0
Trimmer$0
Trailer-$250
Insurance-$500 for the bare minimum, it would cost $1,500 to cover everything Truck included. (yearly-solo operator)
Edger-$250
Misc.-$250
I would hire some (4) older kids 15-18yrs to go in pairs. Do this in March at the latest (make sure they respect the wishes of the ones who just don't want to be disturbed No solicitation of any kind) have them paper a area around 5 mile radius to start. Pay them $25 each for a four hour shift and give them a commission on the accounts they generate with the fliers. Like $2.50 each kid-$10.00 per account landed it would be worth the $10. That will insure they do a good job for you. and your accounts will end up in one general area. You may want them to do the same area twice if you are getting accounts in it established. (like again in May)
To get started equipment wise $1,250 min, $2,250 if you cover yourself properly insurance wise for the year.
Make yourself some biz-cards and fliers on that computer you have and hustle up some work before you spend a penny more than you absolutely need to. Keep that $2,750 extra for a rainy day!!

After three years this being my fourth everything is paid for and if I choose to I can go after as many lawns as I want now that I am retired from my full-time job. If I remain solo I can do 40-50 accounts depending on how tight things remain in my route. Currently I have 30 residential and 2 commercial accounts. (3-1/2 day schedule) rest of the week I'm doing odd jobs for my customers.
With a three man crew who knows how many? But I won't have to have more equipment than what I currently have until I need to. It is far better to spend as little as you can to make money. You will be surprised at how easily you can loose control of your spending in the line of work.

Good luck, I hope that your loved ones support you with this venture, that is very important to whether you should go ahead with it. Chow, David

Fireguy119
07-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Wow. dont call 911 if your kid is dying or your wife is choking...... Everyone is a hater until they need you. We lost a brother in a fire and the city cried our loss for 6 months... promised better staffing and better funding... after 7 months they cut 1.5 million and we lost 15 guys. I no longer care when people bash the brotherhood, because i know they will never figure it out. Not to stray too far from the actual topic.......... APPLICATIONS ARE FREE!!!!!!! They pay is horrible, and yes... we have the right to try to improve the quality of life for our families!