PDA

View Full Version : mites in the worm bin

roccon31
02-12-2009, 05:13 PM
ok so i did some searching on the "mites" that have appeared in my worm bin. they are the little brown/red mites that are talked about frequently. is there any way to keep them inside the darn bin? in one post tim wilson talks about airflow to the bin controlling them. i put a small fan blowing towards the bin for a few days and it seems to help, but not completely. my bin is only about 5 weeks old, its a 30 gallon storage bin, with about 30 1/4" holes onthe bottom covered with landscape fabric, and 15 3/4" holes in the upper parts above the material level. i keep the lid on. it is sitting on some pvc pipe to keep it about an inch off the floor of the container under it. i am getting no leachate coming from the bottom, so i didnt think it was a moisture issue, but i could be wrong? if i keep the fan running it dries the material inside the bin so bad i have to add a little water. if i remove the fan, i get small amounts of moisture on the inside of the lid and the material gets noticeably wetter.

these mites are running all over my kitchen, and multiplying by the thousands every week it seems.

the worms seem to be happy, growing rapidly and laying eggs. i wish they would eat faster though!

treegal1
02-12-2009, 08:38 PM
:laugh::laugh:I know all about them and how to fix them, the real issue is getting in experienced worm farmer to listen and only feed finished compost and not, raw vegetable's like tomatoes and celery, as they are loaded full of hot mite's... yes you eat some:laugh::laugh:

start trapping out and add lime and DE or sell them....

roccon31
02-13-2009, 02:04 PM
experienced i am not! this is all very new to me, and while fun, also quite frustrating.

i am going to cease feeding them anything other than poop until i get rid of these mites i guess. where would one find the diatomaceous earth you speak of? lime is no prob. any suggestions on what to start the new bin with after i trap the worms out? just compost?

the worms were only 40 bucks, but i'd hate to lose them....

i have no problem pulling the worms and starting a new bin from scratch, horse poop is plentiful around here, there is not enough casting material to be worth messing with just yet, id rather toss it in the yard and start over.

treegal1
02-13-2009, 02:11 PM
ok so easy way is toss and go.....

the Way to learn from this is to ask what do i do in the big bins with 1000$$ at stake, learn to trap them out, the DE Diatomaceous earth is a HD item in the garden center, from safer, co.

then figure out the Ph and add lime, and only feed compost or manure, has to be like compost.........., then the next part, and this is real hard for first times, only feed what they will eat in 3 day, or 3X the weight of the worms!!! let them starve a little, just for a minute....

treegal1
02-13-2009, 02:13 PM
free range worms are not a waste!!!just dont forget to feed them:waving:

roccon31
02-13-2009, 02:28 PM
sounds like a good project for tonight for me and the 6 year old.....pull the worms and experiment a little.

will the DE hurt the worms at all or just hurt the mites? what about the lime, will the lime burn the worms if i use too much?

i have a pocket PH meter, with a probe to stick in the ground. ill check it out.

treegal1
02-13-2009, 02:36 PM
we are going to have to do a kids teach us about worms thread.......

roccon31
02-13-2009, 02:41 PM
heck the little bugger prbably knows more than i do, smart little punk. 1st grade, bored with school says its too easy and he's bored. gets every test 100%....i didnt feel that way till like 8th grade and it was because i figured out what boobs were!

treegal1
02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
yeah I know except they figure out boobs here in 3-4 th grade....... and the computer.....