PDA

View Full Version : Pipe question

BrandonV
02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
gents I have a question. I'm bidding huge project mostly just for fun. Its an athletic complex w/ football field, 2 soccer fields, and 2 baseball fields. If for some reason I snagged it I'd love it, but not expecting anything with all the "hungry" irrigatiors/ contractors out there now. Mainly just bidding to see where I fall. But anyways, going over the specs the designer has all "class 200" pipe. Now I've seen it in 1" and 1.5" but have never seen 2" and 3" does is exist??? Why would you use it anyways? pikers. Oh and if for some reason I do snag it, CSRotor you have an open invitation to come plant around 150 rainbird 7005s (if I can't talk them into hunter)

BrandonV
02-12-2009, 06:35 PM
also if there is a way to dig up purp I'd love to hear from him.

HokieAg07
02-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Yes it is available, almost more so than SCH40, and yes it is commonly used around here. I use it for service/repair; guess Im a piker.

Wet_Boots
02-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Class pipe is actually thicker than sch 40 when you get into the large sizes.

EagleLandscape
02-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Yes, it is available. I would use it. It will become more expensive when you get into the larger pipe sizes are the wall of the pipe will be thicker, thus leading to more materials needed for the pipe. But someone correct me if I am wrong, the break-even point on class vs sch is 6" or 8" or something like that? If there is any 1/2" pipe it will go down to class 315. Not possible to make a class 200 1/2" that i know of.

Wet_Boots
02-12-2009, 07:05 PM
.......Not possible to make a class 200 1/2" that i know of.I think you could, but no one in their right mind should buy it. Kind of like non-NSF 80 psi poly pipe ~ too thin for comfort.

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 07:15 PM
I understand the advantages of both thin (class) and thick (sch.). If I want to install a bullet and shovel-pic axe- telephone installer who spades in his drop I would want to use sch 40. But with class installed correctley (meaning its buried past 8") you have at least the advantage of more flow. I dont like the idea of using ALL class. I have installed 2" Class as a main line at Smith MTN Lake. I needed the size for flow.

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-12-2009, 08:27 PM
gents I have a question. I'm bidding huge project mostly just for fun. Its an athletic complex w/ football field, 2 soccer fields, and 2 baseball fields. If for some reason I snagged it I'd love it, but not expecting anything with all the "hungry" irrigatiors/ contractors out there now. Mainly just bidding to see where I fall. But anyways, going over the specs the designer has all "class 200" pipe. Now I've seen it in 1" and 1.5" but have never seen 2" and 3" does is exist??? Why would you use it anyways? pikers. Oh and if for some reason I do snag it, CSRotor you have an open invitation to come plant around 150 rainbird 7005s (if I can't talk them into hunter)

:: packs bags and leave them by door::

BrandonV
02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I understand the advantages of both thin (class) and thick (sch.). If I want to install a bullet and shovel-pic axe- telephone installer who spades in his drop I would want to use sch 40. But with class installed correctley (meaning its buried past 8") you have at least the advantage of more flow. I dont like the idea of using ALL class. I have installed 2" Class as a main line at Smith MTN Lake. I needed the size for flow.

that's the main reason we use sch40 that and you can go back 25 years later (like my father has) install a new zone and not shatter the pipe like class 200 does.

thanks for the replies guys, feel better now. Honestly don't see much of it around here, we use pretty much sch 40 so it was a little outside of my comfort area, but I always upsize my pipe so where you'd use a 1" pr200 I'd use 1.25 sch40

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 08:35 PM

I visited your website. Seems like you do it all, but you dont know it all? Jack of all trades? Let me know. Theres a JDL in High Point to help you. And at a time like this, bidding for fun may be a joke to you, but not to everyone else.....

BrandonV
02-12-2009, 08:45 PM
And at a time like this, bidding for fun may be a joke to you, but not to everyone else.....

JDL doesn't and I don't get along, I deal with Ewing and FIS mostly. I not treating the bid as a joke, like I said I'm sure there is going to be a ton of people going after this project and I doubt I'll get it mainly because of the extra drive time I'd incur. I would very much like to get it, but I'm treating it more like a exercise. Its good to see how you compare though every once in a while. I am not a jack of all trades, everything I do is top-notch, I don't do anything halfway, but you probably know this seeing my site. I say I'm bidding for fun because I'm a happy go lucky kind of guy, not being cocky. But if you're going to sink several hours into somthing knowing full well you most likely won't get the contract you better enjoy the process, which I do because it's a change from my daily grind. I normally don't do the estimates, we have someone fulltime that does that I manage the crews... or as I say Head-holedigger-in-charge. And the invitation to CSR is because he worked for me, and did a bang-up job and has the dream of planting some large rotors, which I've done on a number of commercial/industrial projects since his return up to the frozen tundra. Anything else I need to explain? I'm sorry to be so long winded, but this was a rather jovial thread I started and you had to take it to a dark place.

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 08:50 PM
JDL doesn't and I don't get along, I deal with Ewing and FIS mostly. I not treating the bid as a joke, like I said I'm sure there is going to be a ton of people going after this project and I doubt I'll get it mainly because of the extra drive time I'd incur. I would very much like to get it, but I'm treating it more like a exercise. Its good to see how you compare though every once in a while. I am not a jack of all trades, everything I do is top-notch, I don't do anything halfway, but you probably know this seeing my site. I say I'm bidding for fun because I'm a happy go lucky kind of guy, not being cocky. But if you're going to sink several hours into somthing knowing full well you most likely won't get the contract you better enjoy the process, which I do because it's a change from my daily grind. I normally don't do the estimates, we have someone fulltime that does that I manage the crews... or as I say Head-holedigger-in-charge. And the invitation to CSR is because he worked for me, and did a bang-up job and has the dream of planting some large rotors, which I've done on a number of commercial/industrial projects since his return up to the frozen tundra. Anything else I need to explain? I'm sorry to be so long winded, but this was a rather jovial thread I started and you had to take it to a dark place.

Get over yourself Brandon. Simply stated, bidding for FUN in this day and age, is not taking lightly. So, good luck and hope you get the job. No dark places here.

EagleLandscape
02-12-2009, 08:57 PM
RLP play nice.

While sch40 will last longer, you are going to get greater friction loss in sch pipe than class because of the inside diameter. which means you might have to buy larger sch pipe than you would with class, or have to add more zones. class pipe hydraulics and price outweighs the difference of using sch.

BrandonV
02-12-2009, 09:01 PM
I know, I know, sch40 isn't a choice on this project so it doesn't matter. I personally really prefer using the 1.25" sch40 over 1" even though it's more, just because of durability. But I'll be honest, I've started pricing all our systems w/ the option of either, especially w/ the pipe prices jacking up like mad last year.

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 09:05 PM
RLP play nice.

While sch40 will last longer, you are going to get greater friction loss in sch pipe than class because of the inside diameter. which means you might have to buy larger sch pipe than you would with class, or have to add more zones. class pipe hydraulics and price outweighs the difference of using sch.

Point taking j. Not (trying to) ruffling feathers or anything else. Anyone installing irrigation should know about pipe first and foremost. It is the main carrirer of the final product. H20. I know alot of top notch companies around my area that would love to "bid for fun".... That ruffled my Spade edge..
Sorry Brandon.. Not your fault

mitchgo
02-12-2009, 09:07 PM
At 6" class 200 pipping is thicker then sched 40. But I wouldnt ever use class 200.

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 09:37 PM
At 6" class 200 pipping is thicker then sched 40. But I wouldnt ever use class 200.

Why? Installed correctly its the way to go. Is it because of "what" could happen?

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Get over yourself Brandon. Simply stated, bidding for FUN in this day and age, is not taking lightly. So, good luck and hope you get the job. No dark places here.

quick question..

WHO ARE YOU?

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-12-2009, 09:56 PM
I visited your website. Seems like you do it all, but you dont know it all? Jack of all trades? Let me know. Theres a JDL in High Point to help you. And at a time like this, bidding for fun may be a joke to you, but not to everyone else.....

Hey buddy, Sometimes to keep sharp i take old LA plans and throw down what I think would be a fair bid on a irrigation project..

see how close over/under i come to a final selling bid..

I think its fun and I always have a blast doing the big bids..
right before i left my old company i landed them a huge 20 k bid and then left it on a platter to my old boss...

Bidding rules.....its the nuts n bolts and if steps are forgotten well you know

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 10:01 PM

Oh and by your last name I guess your just waiting for control of the nursery? I would think that by your age you would be able to bid and install all of the many projects you work on. By playing on the computer you are not learning as much as playing in the field. So you lead the Goon Spoon. Great. Go and be a more active and worthy member than just being a "member of the family". Upset at this? Good. Go do something about it that just play........

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 10:05 PM
quick question..

WHO ARE YOU?

I am the owner of an irrigation company. Who are you?

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey buddy, Sometimes to keep sharp i take old LA plans and throw down what I think would be a fair bid on a irrigation project..

see how close over/under i come to a final selling bid..

I think its fun and I always have a blast doing the big bids..
right before i left my old company i landed them a huge 20 k bid and then left it on a platter to my old boss...

Bidding rules.....its the nuts n bolts and if steps are forgotten well you know

If your so "great" why do you work for other people?

mitchgo
02-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Why? Installed correctly its the way to go. Is it because of "what" could happen?

Exactly that.

Just last week we did a service line replacement ( domestic to the house). Amazingly who ever installed the irrigation system put it at 18" down everywhere ( considering I ussually find it extremely shallow).

So we had to hand trench a good majority of it due to all city side power, cable, telephone and gas were in a 40' section. the digging was hard clay so you basically have to "pick" to dig. Within that 40' section I ran into the zone 4 times. 3 of them were class 200 and 1 were sched 40, on the 3 I broke the pipe while digging . on the sched 40 I did not. All 18" down.

besides.. saving what.. 40-100 bucks per install? I mean you don't see class 200 fittings. they are all sched 40 +.

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Exactly that.

Just last week we did a service line replacement ( domestic to the house). Amazingly who ever installed the irrigation system put it at 18" down everywhere ( considering I ussually find it extremely shallow).

So we had to hand trench a good majority of it due to all city side power, cable, telephone and gas were in a 40' section. the digging was hard clay so you basically have to "pick" to dig. Within that 40' section I ran into the zone 4 times. 3 of them were class 200 and 1 were sched 40, on the 3 I broke the pipe while digging . on the sched 40 I did not. All 18" down.

besides.. saving what.. 40-100 bucks per install? I mean you don't see class 200 fittings. they are all sched 40 +.

Well gee Mitch if I'm digging that hard (pic axe) I'm gonna damage anything I come across. If I could install Stainless mainline I would. Swing away with your pick, you will puncture sch.40.

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I am the owner of an irrigation company. Who are you?

you forgot to mention "A$$hole" owner of an irrigation company...

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-12-2009, 10:45 PM
If your so "great" why do you work for other people?

i don't want the headaches @ this point in my life.....

who said I was great?

I would just settle for Good....

Great is 30 years in the biz

and as far as brandon goes I have been on his projects,worked with him and his professional crew of colorful Gentlemen....

I learned so much working with him and his family...There isn't anything the guy and his team can't get done when it comes to design>install...
hardscapes,lighting,irrigation, trucking trees, hydroseeding, plant care and turf care, any type of heavy construction involving big machines.

Bran literally grew up on the job......

And you sir are a piker..

mitchgo
02-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Well gee Mitch if I'm digging that hard (pic axe) I'm gonna damage anything I come across. If I could install Stainless mainline I would. Swing away with your pick, you will puncture sch.40.

I said I was basically having to "pick".... not that I was using a pick axe... come on man you have to be an idiot to use a pick axe while trenching through a gas line ect.
I was using a 4" and 3" trenching shovel .. "chipping away" the clay. And I hear the "echo" of the empty pipe before I see it.. CHIP!!!

I don't know what your trying to prove. it's a known fact sched 40 is better then class 200.. ALL I said is I would never use it. I PERSONALLY feel the cost doesn't outway the savings to use it. So if you use class 200 on your installs and nothing ever happens.. good for you!..
When i'm repairing a class 200 pipe 4" down because a woman using a trowel broke it... I will complain!

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Face it Class 200 if for Pikers......

bicmudpuppy
02-12-2009, 11:21 PM
We've beaten the class vs sch debate up one side and down the other. You want to pay for plastic by weight, then by all means buy sch pipe. You want to buy and warranty plastic by burst strength and its tested ability, you buy class pipe. The "break even" is just short of 4". 4" class 200 is thicker, heavier, and "better" pipe than 4" sch 40. I've never seen 6" pipe that was not class pipe. IF they made large sch40 pipe, I think I remember being told that 8" sch40 pipe would be thinner than 8" class 160. I'm not ever going to trust 160 or anything thinner with water pressure at 8" or more. Gravity would give you enough pressure to burst it. For all the pikers out there who get a "feel good" over using 1" sch40 instead of class 200. Kudos to you. If a moron is digging up your pipe, he MIGHT not break it. But then, your spending extra money (and hopefully charging more) on the off chance that you can beat the power of the average stupid. Good luck w/ that.

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-12-2009, 11:23 PM
We've beaten the class vs sch debate up one side and down the other. You want to pay for plastic by weight, then by all means buy sch pipe. You want to buy and warranty plastic by burst strength and its tested ability, you buy class pipe. The "break even" is just short of 4". 4" class 200 is thicker, heavier, and "better" pipe than 4" sch 40. I've never seen 6" pipe that was not class pipe. IF they made large sch40 pipe, I think I remember being told that 8" sch40 pipe would be thinner than 8" class 160. I'm not ever going to trust 160 or anything thinner with water pressure at 8" or more. Gravity would give you enough pressure to burst it. For all the pikers out there who get a "feel good" over using 1" sch40 instead of class 200. Kudos to you. If a moron is digging up your pipe, he MIGHT not break it. But then, your spending extra money (and hopefully charging more) on the off chance that you can beat the power of the average stupid. Good luck w/ that.

since mike leary isn't here

i will call you a Piker

mitchgo
02-13-2009, 12:09 AM
I really don't care. It's all personal preference . we've all seen sched and class being broken..

Just like.. at the POC I use All brass fittings.. while some use sched 80.. or some 40 or class 200.

As long as you do your job correctly.. that matters most.

HokieAg07
02-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Guess Im a piker as well as everybody else down here in this market for using class pipe. The argument is stupid, different areas of the country use different methods/products; get over it. I do find it a bit odd though that the original poster didnt know if class pipe existed in the bigger sizes, seems to me like that would be common knowledge for someone who is in the business, but hey people learn new things everyday.

As for everybody else, get the sand out of your nays...

AI Inc
02-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Around here class 200 is what is normaly speced for athletic fields, and speced to be buried at 18" Only its called sdr 21

BrandonV
02-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Guess Im a piker as well as everybody else down here in this market for using class pipe. The argument is stupid, different areas of the country use different methods/products; get over it. I do find it a bit odd though that the original poster didnt know if class pipe existed in the bigger sizes, seems to me like that would be common knowledge for someone who is in the business, but hey people learn new things everyday.

I'm a bit sheltered because I have mostly just done large residential and have always done things the way my father had done them. I'm not in the repair business, so I don't see a whole lot of other contractors work. I guess I'm a piker too.:cry:

Mike Leary
02-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Guess Im a piker as well as everybody else down here in this market for using class pipe.

Don't drop your remote.

Kiril
02-13-2009, 09:17 AM
** See previously posted comments in multiple threads on class vs sch.

p.s. I used 2" class 200 for my central vac.

Kiril
02-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Don't drop your remote.

piker :waving:

HokieAg07
02-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Don't drop your remote.

I would never drop my remotes Leary, that would be a piker thing to do..

Oh wait Im already a piker for using class pipe :laugh:

We are all pikers in some way eh :dizzy:

Mike Leary
02-13-2009, 09:32 AM
We are all pikers in some way eh:dizzy:

We are only pawns in their game, too. :rolleyes:

Kiril
02-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Boots and Leary .... Lawnsites own Piker Patrol

http://www.toxicshock.tv/news/wp-content/uploads/batman_and_robin_photo.jpeg

Wet_Boots
02-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Green Arrow has a better hat

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:dVrjxIzSkn-JMM:http://rooktopia.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/green-arrow.gif

Waterit
02-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Interesting to see a post by a respected member (made guy?) asking a simple question turn into a pi$$ing match with a newbie leading the charge (in a most insulting fashion, too).

Everyone's entitled to their opinions about what product is best. Comes down to what is most commonly used in your region and what you are most comfortable with. Hunter vs. RB, class 200 vs. sch. 40, poly vs. PVC, trenching vs. pulling - good work is good work, period.

Brandon, I've enjoyed your posts and admire the quality of your work.

RLP, no-one likes a wisea$$. Especially an insulting one.

Wet_Boots
02-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Yeah, always be a friendly wise-ass :p

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I use Class 200 for what it's worth. Sch 40 is overrated and consumes precious resources.

Mike Leary
02-13-2009, 04:49 PM
bidding for fun may be a joke to you, but not to everyone else.....

I can't imagine wasting anyone's time "bidding for fun".

BrandonV
02-13-2009, 05:07 PM
well I don't feel too bad called my supplier and he's having to call around to get pricing on the larger sizes of class 200... they don't carry anything larger than the 1.5" oh well. anyways life goes on. btw I changed my name because I'm tired of people calling me tom. Which actually happens in real life as well, people call and ask for Mr. Creek or Tom. My great-grandmother actually selected the name because when she started things here back in the 30s it was very taboo for a woman to own or operate a farm.. she was a young widow so didn't have much choice...

BrandonV
02-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Cactus Hug, Arizona
is that an actual location? I googled it but didn't find it. I think we need a "Leary Tracker" or something. It kinda of makes me thing of my little brother, he's been spending a year abroad in Kazan, Russia; he updates his "blog" with his location every now and then. Of course I'm back here working as to pay for his education... hopefully he'll strike it rich and remember me.

Mike Leary
02-13-2009, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=BrandonV;2768423 she was a young widow so didn't have much choice...[/QUOTE]

That means something?

Wet_Boots
02-13-2009, 05:32 PM
is that an actual location? I googled it but didn't find it.It's a tag team creation. I invited the traveling man to go hug a cactus, and he made a location of it. It needs to be an actual location, no doubt about it. Someday.....

BrandonV
02-13-2009, 05:44 PM
it would defiantly make it on the interesting town names list. We have one down towards Seagrove named Why Not, NC

Mike Leary
02-13-2009, 06:15 PM
It needs to be an actual location, no doubt about it. Someday.....

It's the southwestern "Brigadoon".

AI Inc
02-14-2009, 07:38 AM
it would defiantly make it on the interesting town names list. We have one down towards Seagrove named Why Not, NC

Intercourse PA ....... Nothing too exciting around here. This area is all named after towns in England.

rlpsystems
02-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Interesting to see a post by a respected member (made guy?) asking a simple question turn into a pi$$ing match with a newbie leading the charge (in a most insulting fashion, too).

Everyone's entitled to their opinions about what product is best. Comes down to what is most commonly used in your region and what you are most comfortable with. Hunter vs. RB, class 200 vs. sch. 40, poly vs. PVC, trenching vs. pulling - good work is good work, period.

Brandon, I've enjoyed your posts and admire the quality of your work.

RLP, no-one likes a wisea$$. Especially an insulting one.

Well looks like you figured it out. A repected member, and you admire his work, but he dosent know about one of the most important parts of an irrigation system. His lack of knowledge about something so simply, I actually thought JR was asking the question. The other thing is that you dont bid for fun. Period.
And as for Brandon, hes a man I think he can take this jabbing.
And I am thinking of changing my name to WiseA$$. Thanks Mr. Waterit

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Do a search on Funny Texas City names but my favorite is UNCERTAIN, TX by Caddo Mills Lake.

AI Inc
02-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Maybe he should have used the term , " bid for study"

DanaMac
02-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Maybe he should have used the term , " bid for study"

Exactly. I don't understand why the newb is bashing him over it. B is gaining even more experience by doing it. Good for you Brandon.

AI Inc
02-14-2009, 08:01 AM
I know anytime I bid an athleitc field and dont get it, I go back over it to see if I missed something. I also look to see how close the winner was compared to # 2 and 3

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Exactly. I don't understand why the newb is bashing him over it. B is gaining even more experience by doing it. Good for you Brandon.

Lot of stress and frustration in our current climate right now. The future is so unpredictable. Where is this economy and country going? Who knows but I will predict everybody needs to be mentally prepared for a lower standard of living. Nothing has changed in WA DC:cry: a 800 billion dollar bill that nobody including the writers of it have read is going to be saddled on our and our children's backs. Right now there is 7 trillion dollars in world debt that is looking for financing and it isn't out there. Only way to finance this bill and debt is through printing money and expanding the money supply. Soon too many dollars will be chasing too few goods causing inflation if not hyper inflation. I'd find bargains and put your money into hard assets that benefit from inflation in your local areas. Cash is king now but it is going to get killed in a year or two. Just my 2 cents. Do your own analysis of course.

BrandonV
02-14-2009, 08:09 AM

yes I should have, but I'm bidding to get it too... I'm just not overly optimistic or stressed about it.

DanaMac
02-14-2009, 08:17 AM
yes I should have, but I'm bidding to get it too... I'm just not overly optimistic or stressed about it.

I didn't mean the word "exactly" as how you should have worded it. It was more that is how the newb should have understood it. I knew what you meant.

Kiril
02-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Isn't any bid you don't win a bid for fun?

bicmudpuppy
02-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Isn't any bid you don't win a bid for fun?

There it is! Damn, I agree with Kiril more and more every day, and I'm not approaching retirement age!

If your a reputable contractor who is not keeping 20 H2B workers busy, getting a large commercial bid is quite a challenge. Especially something like ball fields that tend to be a low bid only consideration. When working for larger outfits (never could take the chance I would actually get it when on my own), I bid a lot of these. I never expected to get, and never did get one of them. You call the GC and ask questions about the specs and he goes ?????? So, you bid it per spec and you make notes in your bid documents that you are per spec and the lowball buy still gets it. All you can do then is hope/pray he gets burned and has to put it in per spec. Never seen that happen yet either, but maybe someday.