PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Haulmark Enclosed Trailers???

birdturd9726
02-12-2009, 08:21 PM
what is everyone opinion on haulmark trailers. i am looking at the following 7x14 trailers:

7x14 hualmark transport
2x4 frame
tandem axles w/ spring suspension & drum brakes
extended 54" tongue
plywood walls
roof and side vents
Crossmembers 24in On Center | Verticle Posts 16in On Center
66-3/4 in Z Posts
cost = about $4300

7x14 haulmark kodiak
2x6 frame
tandem forflex axles w/ brakes
30" tongue
plywood walls
roof vent (side vents not included in price)
not sure about the on centers
extra height 12" total
cost = $4900

the only thing i am worried about with the transport is that they are no longer built with a boxed steel frame. They are now built with "Z" frame to connect the walls. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I also have the opportunity to buy a used trailer:

2004 7x16 haulmark Kodiak LS (landscape model)
the guy used it to haul quads and snowmobiles upstate
dual torsion flex axles
electric brakes
side vents, roof vent, ladder racks
plywood inside

pretty nice shape
the guy is firm on $4000
pictures are of this trailer

i would rather buy a new trailer, but dont want to spend too much. The only thing is this used trailer costs the same as a transport and i get fresh new tires and brakes, a trailer with 0 miles and a warranty.

what would you guys do. I need a trailer asap because the season might break a little early, but i am trying to stay under $5200 all said and done w/ taxes and such

would you guys recommend a different brand??
please advise, thanks

JosephLawnCare
02-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Get springs, stay away for the rubber torflex axles. 4k for the one pictured is too much. Yea it looks pretty but you can find a new one for that price. What are you going to do with the 6x12 in your sig? I HAD a 20' us cargo and it fell about in 2 years. The rubber axles were the first things to go bad. I think hallmark is a good brand, seem well built.

birdturd9726
02-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Get springs, stay away for the rubber torflex axles. 4k for the one pictured is too much. Yea it looks pretty but you can find a new one for that price. What are you going to do with the 6x12 in your sig? I HAD a 20' us cargo and it fell about in 2 years. The rubber axles were the first things to go bad. I think hallmark is a good brand, seem well built.

the 6x12 i put on craigslist fora high price and someone came w/ cash the next day and wanted it then, so i sold it.

Haulmark was always highly regarded, but i spoke to a dealer who use to sell them and he said their now crap. Then i called another dealer and he informed me of this "Z' frame side supports, which im not sure how good they are.

that used trailer is nice and all and its an upper model, but its still a 2004 and is used and not new. New it is probably around $6500 - $7000. I don't think its worth more than half of what he bought it for. I offered him $3500 and then said would split the difference for $3750 and he said no. So if i wanted it, it would be $4000.

any other opinions on these haulmarks.
and any experiences with this "z" frame

Advanced Lawn Care, Inc.
02-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I have a 2008 19' All Aluminum V-Nose For Sale Check out http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=259199

birdturd9726
02-12-2009, 10:36 PM
I have a 2008 19' All Aluminum V-Nose For Sale Check out http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=259199

dont need a 19' thanks though

Petr51488
02-13-2009, 12:09 AM
just curious, but how much did you sell your 6x12 for? I don't need one, but for the right price i'll sell mine and get a 7x16 tandem

birdturd9726
02-13-2009, 11:27 AM
just curious, but how much did you sell your 6x12 for? I don't need one, but for the right price i'll sell mine and get a 7x16 tandem

mine was a 2006 us cargo trail and sport
it was one of us cargo's basic models, no frills.
i bought it from a construction company and it needed some work, so i re-did the inside w/ plywood walls and built a shelf and put down a floor.
i fixed the few lights broken and the broken plastic roof vent.
i bought it for $1400 and put about $300 in it.
I listed it for $3000 and the guy gave me $2900
So i couldn't go wrong selling it.

how do you like your haulmark 6x12?
what year is it and what model?

Petr51488
02-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Good deal. I'm looking to do the same too, but i really don't need a new trailer. I like it other then the outside cosmetic condition. I had some pricks spraypaint some stupid **** on it and i used graffedi remover to try and get it off, and ended up stripping the black off the aluminum. I also caulked the molding at the worst time possible. I did it one night, and then had rain the next day and pretty much blead on the walls. Its impossible to get both of them out. It doesn't look terrible, most people wouldn't care, but i' like it looking new. I washed it every week and looked great up until the caulk and spraypaint. The only problem i had with it was the wires for the electric brakes kept getting pinched between the springs and cutting them. Once that was fixed, not another problem after that. It doesnt have plywood walls, which i don't need anyways but i did add trimmer racks on the walls which i bolted to the top metal rail, diamond plate floor ramp, and a table up front. its a 2005 transport model.

CrystalCreek
02-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Haulmark came to my area a few years ago. They had a huge price reduction. A ton of the LCO bought them up. That was four years ago. Those trailers look like crap now. I am glad I did not buy one. I know of a guy that had complete axle failure while only towing two walkers. I saved up and bought a top of the line American Hauler. They are the parent company of US cargo. The American Hauler brand has most of the US Cargo upgrades as standard features. I got LED lights, every beam on 12" centers, extended tongue, four wheel disc brakes, torshion axles, and 3/4" plywood floor, for $5600. I know it is a little high, but the trailer is now 6 years old and looks like the day I bought it. I highly recommend the rubber torshion axles. It makes the trailer ride like it's on a air coushion. The problem with the 24" centers is that the wood wraps under the weight of the heavier mowers. Hope this helps out a little.

birdturd9726
02-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Haulmark came to my area a few years ago. They had a huge price reduction. A ton of the LCO bought them up. That was four years ago. Those trailers look like crap now. I am glad I did not buy one. I know of a guy that had complete axle failure while only towing two walkers. I saved up and bought a top of the line American Hauler. They are the parent company of US cargo. The American Hauler brand has most of the US Cargo upgrades as standard features. I got LED lights, every beam on 12" centers, extended tongue, four wheel disc brakes, torshion axles, and 3/4" plywood floor, for $5600. I know it is a little high, but the trailer is now 6 years old and looks like the day I bought it. I highly recommend the rubber torshion axles. It makes the trailer ride like it's on a air coushion. The problem with the 24" centers is that the wood wraps under the weight of the heavier mowers. Hope this helps out a little.

i had a us cargo trail n sport which is the basic model w/ 24" on centers and a single axle. I only drive my tuck and trailer so i think i am going to go with the transport. The transport is a lot better than the trail n sport, which worked out fine for me.

I have heard some bad things about the rubber torsion axles with them breaking after a few years. I think i am going to go with springs, especially that now i will have tandem axles, the ride will improve drastically.

right now im going to go to the haulmark dealer to look at them again(of course the only haulmark dealer is 45 miles away). I will let you guys know when i get back. I will be ordering it from a cheaper place and picking it up at the factory.

birdturd9726
02-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Pretty sure im gonig to be ordering a 7x14 haulmark transport tonight
seems liek you get alot for you money, and the quality is great.

newlooklandscp
02-13-2009, 09:48 PM
do not order the transport if you are going to be hauling around large mowers everyday. The tongs will just not hold up and the frame is not the greatest. I love Haulmarks but the transport is a cheap piece of junk. If it going to be lightduty hauling then go for it. If it is going to be heavy duty then upgrade to the Kodiak Landscape Package, much bigger frame and tong. Ramp is heavier duty and I beat the crap out of mine day in and day out for 5 year now and no problems. In the past I have had the transport and a cargo mate made trailer and both frames failed. If you have a ton of money upgrade even more to the Wells Cargo Landscape Package Trailer.

Ken

birdturd9726
02-13-2009, 10:15 PM
do not order the transport if you are going to be hauling around large mowers everyday. The tongs will just not hold up and the frame is not the greatest. I love Haulmarks but the transport is a cheap piece of junk. If it going to be lightduty hauling then go for it. If it is going to be heavy duty then upgrade to the Kodiak Landscape Package, much bigger frame and tong. Ramp is heavier duty and I beat the crap out of mine day in and day out for 5 year now and no problems. In the past I have had the transport and a cargo mate made trailer and both frames failed. If you have a ton of money upgrade even more to the Wells Cargo Landscape Package Trailer.

Ken

that was one of my concerns, but i don't haul that much
2 walk behinds, 2 bp blowers, 2 weed whackers, and 2 hedge trimmers. thatch pretty much it and 6 gallons of gas. I think the transport will hold up fine for my operation, dont you think?? I am also very gentle on all of my equipment, i baby everything.

Petr51488
02-13-2009, 11:20 PM
that was one of my concerns, but i don't haul that much
2 walk behinds, 2 bp blowers, 2 weed whackers, and 2 hedge trimmers. thatch pretty much it and 6 gallons of gas. I think the transport will hold up fine for my operation, dont you think?? I am also very gentle on all of my equipment, i baby everything.

It will work fine. Most of the guys buy the heavy duty trailer because of the employees. They just don't give a crap about anything and need the trailers and such to keep up with the abuse. I've had my transport since 05 and has been great.

birdturd9726
02-13-2009, 11:41 PM
It will work fine. Most of the guys buy the heavy duty trailer because of the employees. They just don't give a crap about anything and need the trailers and such to keep up with the abuse. I've had my transport since 05 and has been great.

exactly...

in a 7x14 would anyone recommend 2 roof vents?
i was thinking about doing 1 roof vent, and then 2 side vents on each side (usually comes with 1 side vent o each side)

with 2 on each side, air will be going in on the top of each side and then out on the bottom of each. does this seem like a good idea?

Petr51488
02-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Mine doesn't have roof vents. Never really thought of when i would need them. The trailer is black, but as soon as you open the back door, it cools down. Why not a 7x16?

newlooklandscp
02-14-2009, 01:30 AM
I agree. The (the employees) just don't give a crap. If you can afford the 7x16 transport you might as well get it, otherwise 2 years down the road you will be kicking yourself. The extra 2' for a few hundred gives you the needed room. I have a 7x14' Kodiak LS that carries; 1 scag, 2 52" standers, 21" mower, 3 catchers, 2 trimmers, 3 string trimmers, 2 back packs, 1 sidewalks edger, lots of fuel, an a ton of hand tools and tool boxes and it just (and i mean) just fits by inches. The weight does add up fast (and my trailer is super heavy) but if you are out in the field with them all the time then you will be fine. Once you have a few employees you will see what happens to your equipment real fast. You will like the Haulmark brand either way. Good luck. Ken

O and roof vents. They don't do that much. I have a two roof vents, and 4 side vents and still hot as h*ll, just keeps the smell down a bit. He is so so picture.

birdturd9726
02-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Mine doesn't have roof vents. Never really thought of when i would need them. The trailer is black, but as soon as you open the back door, it cools down. Why not a 7x16?

i had a 6x12 and everything fit with room to spare, just the width was tight. I dont want to tow any more than i have to. Yeah a 16 would be nice, but i dont think i will even be able to pack the 14. I leave most of the stuff not being used in my garage. My 2 walk behinds fit fine in my 6x12 and i will be upgrading to standers very soon, which take up even less space. I think a 7x14 is sufficient for at least 3 or 4 years before it is time to upgrade to a 7x16 or an x16.

I agree. The (the employees) just don't give a crap. If you can afford the 7x16 transport you might as well get it, otherwise 2 years down the road you will be kicking yourself. The extra 2' for a few hundred gives you the needed room. I have a 7x14' Kodiak LS that carries; 1 scag, 2 52" standers, 21" mower, 3 catchers, 2 trimmers, 3 string trimmers, 2 back packs, 1 sidewalks edger, lots of fuel, an a ton of hand tools and tool boxes and it just (and i mean) just fits by inches. The weight does add up fast (and my trailer is super heavy) but if you are out in the field with them all the time then you will be fine. Once you have a few employees you will see what happens to your equipment real fast. You will like the Haulmark brand either way. Good luck. Ken

O and roof vents. They don't do that much. I have a two roof vents, and 4 side vents and still hot as h*ll, just keeps the smell down a bit. He is so so picture.

do you have pictures of you enclosed trailer on the inside so i can see how you have it set up and how tight it is?

HLCS
02-14-2009, 06:25 PM

I bought a 6x16 featherlite in 1995, with rubber torsion axles. at the time I paid 9000.00 for the trailer and everbody I know thought I was nuts. After 14 years of use the only failures have been the goodyear tires it came with. 8-9 months and they were worn out. I switched to a tire made by cooper and started getting 5 years out of them. Maybe some of the manufacturers are using lower quality axles to keep the costs down and consequently wearing out faster.

birdturd9726
02-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I bought a 6x16 featherlite in 1995, with rubber torsion axles. at the time I paid 9000.00 for the trailer and everbody I know thought I was nuts. After 14 years of use the only failures have been the goodyear tires it came with. 8-9 months and they were worn out. I switched to a tire made by cooper and started getting 5 years out of them. Maybe some of the manufacturers are using lower quality axles to keep the costs down and consequently wearing out faster.

$9000 speaks for itself

newlooklandscp
02-14-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't believe I have any pictures of the inside. The trailer is empty right now with just the racks. If I find some or take some ill post them asap. FYI a stander only saves you about a ft.

birdturd9726
02-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't believe I have any pictures of the inside. The trailer is empty right now with just the racks. If I find some or take some ill post them asap. FYI a stander only saves you about a ft.

that's what i figured about a foot to a foot and a half. I am super organized and dont carry anything that takes up floor space besides:
2 mowers
21" mower
2 catchers

even if i went to 3 mowers i would be fine, but i probally wouldnt be at 3 mowers for a long time.