PDA

View Full Version : Toro Super Recycler, Lawnboy GoldPro or Deere JS63C

Sneekeeman
03-06-2002, 10:11 AM
I've got $500 budgeted. Want to mulch primarily and side discharge if/when necessary. I have a flat 1/2 acre. Not many beds to mow around. Ground is still a little rough due to new construction settling. Grass is primarily fescue and weeds (I'm working on that).

So what are the pluses and minuses of each? I've narrowed it down to these three due to local dealers.

If you've got a question...ask the pros, right?

Thanks,
Scott

mowsho
03-08-2002, 10:11 PM
The Toro is a great mulcher and good bagger but not so good a
side discharging machine.

The John Deere is the same kind of machine maybe not as good a mulcher as the Toro but still a good machine.

That leaves us with the Lawn Boy with the 6.5 hp engine it has the power to mulch, bag and side discharge and it does it pretty well. The easy thing about the Lawn Boy is, no tools to change the accessories.

If you go with the Lawn Boy tell the dealer to crank the RPM'S
UP TO 3400. They come out of the box at 2800 to 3200 RPM'S.

Dan

Sneekeeman
03-08-2002, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the advise. If I ask the dealer to rev up the rpm's will it void the factory warranty? Is it safe? Will it measurably shorten the life of the engine and/or mower?

My local LB dealer had a few used LB's sitting out front for sale -- one was an older GoldPro. I think I'm going to see if they will let me demo it to make sure I like that deck design and wheel layout. If it work okay for me, I guess I'll be using a Lawnboy this summer!!!

Thank,
Scott

mowsho
03-08-2002, 11:09 PM
The engine will easily run at 3600 to 3800 rpms with no long term problems.

It just cuts and mulches better at 3400 RPM'S

Regulations say that the blade tip speed can not exceed 18,500
feet per minute.

I think you will still be within that tip speed.

Sneekeeman
03-08-2002, 11:30 PM
Sounds like a plan. Looking like a LB in my near future. Now if it would stay warm long enough for the grass to grow....

Scott