PDA

View Full Version : Business as usual??

Fert33
02-13-2009, 12:49 AM
So I have been checking out equipment for sale here on lawnsite. There are so many equipment package deals out there. Just a question to everyone, how is business turning out as we approach spring? In my area, I am seeing long time businesses going belly up. What is everyone's retention rate out there?

Ric
02-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Fert

I have a buddy from NE Pa. who has just sold out his business but must work in it this last season. He plans to semi Retire here in Florida in about Oct. While his Pa. economy is down a little, it is nothing like Florida's down economy. He has been a full service Lawn care company in Penna. But hopes to do straight Pest Control with no fertilization once relocated to Fla. BTW he has a Fla. CPO which he got many years ago.

I hate to admit my retention rate is not bad because it can go down the tubes any second. I have actually gained more than I lost. But Pest Control is a semi closed industry in Florida because of the requirement. Lawn mowing is taking a big hit here because of the high unemployment rate and open entry. While each year we experience a multitude of newbie this last year has be horrible. Those who were hanging on by a shoe string are now gone.

BTW There is a National Franchise in my area listed For Sale. Total sales were 140K and owner benefit was only 51K. IMHO the numbers should be reversed and expense for a one man band should be 51K with 89K owner benefit. I believe the National Franchiser is taking too much royalty and setting prices too low. While I have not confirmed which Franchise it is the numbers and location sure make it sound like the Franchise that sued me. If so then LMAO for sure. I have heard that Franchise is losing accounts nation wide.