PDA

View Full Version : J & S Lawn and Landscape

J & S Lawn and Landscape
02-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Hello everyone J & S Lawn and Landscape is a partnership that includes myself Shawn, 19 and my partner Joey, 18. We just finished our first year of business and couldn't be more excited about the upcoming year. We started off with a 48" toro walk behind and a beat up old trailer and 20 residentials. Although, that is not many accounts it was tough because my partner was a senior in highschool and I was a full time college student. Our schedules always clashed but we were still able to maintain our lawns all year without one complaint. We started our business by just trying to make a little extra money instead of working a minimum wage job at like McDonalds like many of our friends did. I didn't really see the possiblilites in this business until we started getting compliments on our lawn care and then our customers wanted us to do their landscaping at their house.(We both have worked for landscape companies since we were about 13) After completing their jobs our customers spread our name by word of mouth and we started getting more and more phone calls everday for landscpaing. Then it hit me that we could make a career out of this business. During the summer we mowed an animal clinic and we had a bad tornado go down the road and just completely destroy everthing. Well, the owner called me and wanted to remove about 5 big oak trees and although I have never done tree removal before I fould this as a way to help expand our business even more so i didn't hesitate. I went that day and made sure that we were covered in our insurance for tree removal and we were so we went to work. While finishing that job we had tons of calls and people stopping over to see if we could give them estimates on their trees as well. We did enough jobs to help by some tree equipment that month and now were adding that service on full time just to see how it goes. This year we have expanded to over 100+ lawns including 10 big commercial accounts. We have upgraded to a 60" toro g3 rider and two new 52" grandstands and another 48" toro walk behind. Since our first year I have dropped out of school and decided to run full time while the opportunity was still there. I will continue to work as hard as I can and learn as much as I can about this business because I feel like I am truly blessed with the work we have gotten. Thank You and sorry its so long!!

DLAWNS
02-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite. Good luck in '09.

bengalman
02-14-2009, 10:37 AM
I think you are making a big mistake droping ouy of school.That might bite you.I know your doing well with your first year and I hope you grow but what will you do if the company goes under like most do.You wont even get a job at MCdonalds.at least get your ged.Im 41 and Im sure some of the older guys on here feel the same way

DLAWNS
02-14-2009, 11:07 AM
I think you are making a big mistake droping ouy of school.That might bite you.I know your doing well with your first year and I hope you grow but what will you do if the company goes under like most do.You wont even get a job at MCdonalds.at least get your ged.Im 41 and Im sure some of the older guys on here feel the same way

He finished high school, he dropped out of college. Been there done that. If people are on the fence about college, I try to push them toward getting a degree. But some people like myself, realize college is not for them. Just figured I'd help clear that up.:)

Perfect Image TLM
02-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you guys are doing great. Wish you all the best!!

bengalman
02-14-2009, 11:49 AM
My bad I thought he droped out of high school.

yardatwork
02-16-2009, 04:00 PM
I have a college degree and play in dirt for a living! You don't need a college degree to be good at business...you need a personality and the ability to make others believe in you. So many people go to college today cause that is what society brain washes us to think we must do. Many kids scratch there head when they are asked to pick a field of study only to find out after spending four-six years in college that they no longer have an interest in that field. If you have a passion for this, go at it head first! Good luck.

socty
02-16-2009, 04:13 PM
God I wish I was that young again! That's a big advantage...even if things don't work out, you have lots of time to recover and discover something new. But give it your best shot, use this website, and the odds will be in your favor. Best of luck!:drinkup:Ironcity

BigMatt11
02-16-2009, 11:49 PM
I have a college degree and play in dirt for a living! You don't need a college degree to be good at business...you need a personality and the ability to make others believe in you. So many people go to college today cause that is what society brain washes us to think we must do. Many kids scratch there head when they are asked to pick a field of study only to find out after spending four-six years in college that they no longer have an interest in that field. If you have a passion for this, go at it head first! Good luck.

Thanks, I really needed to hear that. I'm only 16 and still have two full years of high school left but everyone I talk to is trying to say that college is the road to take but I'm willing to take the risk and take the back roads.

Shawn and Joey best of luck for the future!

mowerbrad
02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
There is a whole lot more to business than just talking with people and doing a good job. There is a whole financial side to business that needs to be dealt with. Anyone can have a business, but not everyone can run a profitable business. It is great that you guys are doing so well and it being only your second year. But what are you going to do if for some reason your business fails, do you have a back up plan? Hopefully you will realize that it would be nice to have something to fall back on if your plans don't come together. You don't necessarily have to get a 4-year degree but you should at least get something to fall back on, some type of certification so if something goes wrong you will have that to keep you a float.

J & S Lawn and Landscape
02-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Yea that is true I also have my realestate license and am studying to take my brokers license and i plan to open my own office and sell commercial realestate. I thought of that if the business failed but we have many backers and am really not that concerned. I have taken business classes and financial classes my two years in college and I understand how to manage our money and make wise choices.

Gold Star Lawns
02-18-2009, 10:31 PM
J & S: Hey congrats on all the success!! Home town is prolly hour south of you guys, but have moved to Evansville recently. Seen dollars signs ever since and am wanting to start my own. I'm 26 and have 6 years experience in the field. Doing all my homework before the ball starts rolling though. Congrats again and goodluck in 09!!

deere615
02-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Nice story, get some pics up of the equipment!

mowerbrad
02-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Yea that is true I also have my realestate license and am studying to take my brokers license and i plan to open my own office and sell commercial realestate. I thought of that if the business failed but we have many backers and am really not that concerned. I have taken business classes and financial classes my two years in college and I understand how to manage our money and make wise choices.

Glad to hear that you do have a back-up plan. There are too many people that start in high school and then don't want to go to college because they think that they can just do landscaping as their career and not have to worry about their business failing. You do seem to be on the right track and doing well. Hope everything goes well for you.:waving: