PDA

View Full Version : A show every TX irrigator should watch.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Not sure when it airs again but I fortunately had my DVR set for it. If you wonder how we ended up with all these new regulations I think this program will help you understand all the entities involved. Dallas definitely gets a black eye for trying to destroy the Neches River watershed.
48 million people in TX within 50 years. Double our current population.

Texas State of Flowing Water

http://www.texasthestateofwater.org/

Sprinkus
02-14-2009, 10:10 AM
I ended up missing that show because the "PBS" station in the Eagle Pass La Quinta is a Spanish channel instead of PBS! :mad:

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I ended up missing that show because the "PBS" station in the Eagle Pass La Quinta is a Spanish channel instead of PBS! :mad:

Put the DVD on your wish list. Not a bad DVD to own to help close a big sell on a water conservation install.

Sprinkus
02-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I see that the website says to check back on Friday the 20th to see the full show online. Cool!

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-14-2009, 07:26 PM
My sister forwarded this to me. More on the topic.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6263558.html

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Another great read. As luxury driven landscape irrigators I'm thinking our services will slowly become a rich man's toy. Even then the State may not allow residential irrigation under the explanation of spreading misery evenly.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/water/

Mike Leary
02-15-2009, 11:08 AM
As luxury driven landscape irrigators I'm thinking our services will slowly become a rich man's toy.]

It's always been like that, at least to pull-off the cool stuff.payup

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-15-2009, 11:20 AM
It's always been like that, at least to pull-off the cool stuff.payup

Well actually Mike the way I see it during the 50s and early 60s when copper was the piping material it was cheaper to buy a car than a sprinkler system. I've seen and dug lots of attempts from those days to make irrigation a purchase for the masses. The last 40 years with pvc and an expanded pool of installers it has dropped in price and expanded its market size. Now that is going in reverse. I suspect builders will stop adding them to new homes. Talked to a guy recently who did builder work and said one of his builders decided to drop the system part and let it be a homeowner purchase.

Mike Leary
02-15-2009, 11:29 AM
one of his builders decided to drop the system part and let it be a homeowner purchase.

Which may be a good thing, in my experience, builders claim to have about
five bucks for irrigation; we are the last-on-site sub, after all. I'd much rather
deal with a LA or homeowner where you can sell the system on quality, rather
than price.

DanaMac
02-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Which may be a good thing, in my experience, builders claim to have about
five bucks for irrigation; we are the last-on-site sub, after all. I'd much rather
deal with a LA or homeowner where you can sell the system on quality, rather
than price.

Yup. Most systems here that are installed with the brand new homes by the builders, are junk. Most will only do the front yard, and let you do the back how you want. But whoever they have do the fronts is horrible. Stretched zones, mixed heads, no room at manifold to easily add onto it, not enough wire for back zones, weak head-to-head. These guys make minimal on this kind of job, so they make it up in volume. :)

counter guy at my supplier told me of a guy that was doing installs for a builder. In 2007 he had 6-8 guys. In 2008, it was himself and one guy, and he didn't have enough work.

Kiril
02-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Another great read. As luxury driven landscape irrigators I'm thinking our services will slowly become a rich man's toy. Even then the State may not allow residential irrigation under the explanation of spreading misery evenly.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/water/

I need to co-opt Bootsies prognosticator sig and modify it to say Irrigation Prognosticator.