PDA

View Full Version : Stamped concrete

MC Handy Man
02-13-2009, 02:27 PM
How many of you have or are doing decorative stamped concrete? Lets see some pics if you have any.

CaliDesigns
02-14-2009, 06:56 AM
here is some stamped concrete

MC Handy Man
02-14-2009, 12:50 PM
calidesign, that is some good looking stamp. in the first pic, are the edges stamped aswell.... if so that is some awsome coloring you did. who supplies your stamps?

CaliDesigns
02-14-2009, 01:00 PM
In the first pic, I poured a brickledge. That is real brick. I have stamps from at least 5 different suppliers.

tatmkr
02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Stamped did a breif surge here in central Ohio, but now people are getting hip to it. I did stamped concrete sales for a few years and regretted every job I sold. Now, with my own company I can voice my opinions.
-Concrete will also crack (hence expansion joints.)
- Most company only use the coloring on the surface, which opens the door to problems when the surface is comprised (scaling, chips, cracks, scratches)
- Requires more maintenance than pavers (sealing constntly, verss pavers w/ polysand)
- Once it is in it's there for life (pavers allow adaptability and room fr additions, changes and repaving in a new color)
- Even with a product like shark grip, stamped concrete is slippery when wet or icy
- More suseptable to salt damage
- Unable to accurately repair (if you get a stubborn stain, you can replace replace the affected pavers but you will NEVER get stamped coloring the same
- Stamped concrete coloring is never exact (it's affected by many factors such as humidiy, concrete mix, application standards)

***I will admit that most of these issues affect cold weather climates, and the stamped concrete can prove to be a more superior product in tropical climates. It does offer superior cost advantages in price vs overall look, and cost advantages in features lke stairs.

MC Handy Man
02-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Those are some very god points. The use of expansion cuts are a must, and somtimes they just ruin the look of the stamp. Flagstone, beutifull marble coloring and then BAMMMM!!!.....wtf is that straight cut line?

Smokey03
03-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Recently completed project.