PDA

View Full Version : Tree and shrub help?

RABBITMAN11
02-13-2009, 04:50 PM
This will be our first year offering this service, and want to be able to offer to our lawn application customers! Need help on pricing applications. Do you price per shrub and tree or other ways? A basic program would be helpful also.
I was think two deep root feedings and three to four ornamental disease and insect sprays, any feed back would be helpful! We are in located in Indiana.

treegal1
02-13-2009, 07:45 PM
so maybe I take a beat down for this one, fast high fertility grown trees SUCK!!! they are weak fast growing and mostly more susceptible to disease, that said I like to do sort of the opposite of what most do, I try and give the trees some more natural care, deep root a good MYCO powder or compost tea, add the minerals, aerate or deep vertical mulch, top dress with good LOW N compost or worm casts, turn the irrigation down as low as it can be kept. then some of the standard pest controls, maybe an oil, some milky spore. then if they are hip to a bigger flower bed or ground cover?? add some small amounts of soil and lots of mulch*** well away from the trunk****

Fert33
02-14-2009, 10:04 AM
what type of sprayer would you be using? I think if you are going to spray it is important to know how much product that you are putting down on each property. That will be the key to your pricing. I would price by quantity of product used, and difficulty of the application. As far as the number of applications, I tend to lean toward a monitor system. Make bi-weekly trips to your properties and only treat when needed. The days of just coming in and broadcast spraying for a range of insects is almost obsolete.

RABBITMAN11
02-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Having a tank sprayer built.

a plus bob
02-14-2009, 11:12 AM
I used a dedicated spray tank for years then relized I could get same results with a back pack sprayer.If I need to I pull out the spray tank or inject with maujet products either way less drift than spray tank and jd 9 gun.same results.

Kiril
02-14-2009, 12:37 PM
so maybe I take a beat down for this one, fast high fertility grown trees SUCK!!! they are weak fast growing and mostly more susceptible to disease, that said I like to do sort of the opposite of what most do, I try and give the trees some more natural care, deep root a good MYCO powder or compost tea, add the minerals, aerate or deep vertical mulch, top dress with good LOW N compost or worm casts, turn the irrigation down as low as it can be kept. then some of the standard pest controls, maybe an oil, some milky spore. then if they are hip to a bigger flower bed or ground cover?? add some small amounts of soil and lots of mulch*** well away from the trunk****

I Agree! :clapping:

greendoctor
02-14-2009, 03:23 PM
what type of sprayer would you be using? I think if you are going to spray it is important to know how much product that you are putting down on each property. That will be the key to your pricing. I would price by quantity of product used, and difficulty of the application. As far as the number of applications, I tend to lean toward a monitor system. Make bi-weekly trips to your properties and only treat when needed. The days of just coming in and broadcast spraying for a range of insects is almost obsolete.

This is exactly how I handle spraying. Also, trees are not routinely fertilized. I prefer a tree that is allowed to grow naturally, with as few interventions as possible. Not even anything "organic". Shrubs and ground covers are monitored a minimum of twice a month. They are fertilized with a custom formulated liquid at 4-6 week intervals. I do not bill based on number and type of applications. I bill on a monthly basis. I am being paid to watch, monitor and correct as needed. This is also how I maintain lawns.

bug-guy
02-14-2009, 05:59 PM
my opinion shrub programs will differ on your location. granular fert is great when applied properly, liq programs afford you the oppurtunity to apply insect/fungicides as a broadcast spray.
look at arbor green for trees(JDL) 1x yr feeding (deep root feeding)
i would charge by the sq ft on shrubs and per tree
also there is a product out by bayer the name is coretec it is merit and fert little balls just push into the ground

Fert33
02-15-2009, 09:59 AM
This is exactly how I handle spraying. Also, trees are not routinely fertilized. I prefer a tree that is allowed to grow naturally, with as few interventions as possible. Not even anything "organic". Shrubs and ground covers are monitored a minimum of twice a month. They are fertilized with a custom formulated liquid at 4-6 week intervals. I do not bill based on number and type of applications. I bill on a monthly basis. I am being paid to watch, monitor and correct as needed. This is also how I maintain lawns.

Yeah I think that is the best way to do it. A customer pays you for your knowledge. As long as you show up to the property monitor their Trees and shrubs people will pay you.

Fert33
02-15-2009, 10:03 AM
my opinion shrub programs will differ on your location. granular fert is great when applied properly, liq programs afford you the oppurtunity to apply insect/fungicides as a broadcast spray.
look at arbor green for trees(JDL) 1x yr feeding (deep root feeding)
i would charge by the sq ft on shrubs and per tree
also there is a product out by bayer the name is coretec it is merit and fert little balls just push into the ground

coretect is a great product for established trees and shrubs. I have also used it when planting new landscapes. It gives the new plantings a little fert, and protects against insects while they are establishing.