PDA

View Full Version : Drip Question

Tony Clifton
02-13-2009, 08:36 PM
AS you guys know, if you don't run drip consistently there can be a problem with roots going to where the water is (which is in the tubing) and clogging up the emitters. In my brief search I could not find any info, but isn't some of the newer stuff treated to burn off roots on contact with the emitter or am I tripping?

Mike Leary
02-13-2009, 08:43 PM
am I tripping?

No, sorry, those days are over. I have never had problems with root intrusion, though some plants will get into the drip tubes, I suppose. Netafim makes a filter with the crap to poison the roots. Another good reason for above-ground irrigation. :clapping:

BrandonV
02-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Tony back in the day nurseries would use a product call "spin-out" which would repel roots from the buckets, I believe it was copper-chromate or something like that. But I believe it was taken off the market for environmental reasons, I wouldn't doubt if there was a drip tube spin-off or something but doubt that it would still be on the market. Anyways drip is usually flat worn out before root intrusion would be an issue.

irrigationgrl
02-14-2009, 02:17 AM
AS you guys know, if you don't run drip consistently there can be a problem with roots going to where the water is (which is in the tubing) and clogging up the emitters.
Question: Why wouldn't you run drip consistently? Are you not installing timers with your systems? I keep my emitters above ground punched into the main line. Pin down and bury it in between. Are you using 1/4" tubing with an emitter on the end...punched into the main drip line below ground? Or are you burying your dripline emitters and all?

DanaMac
02-14-2009, 02:21 AM
Question: Why wouldn't you run drip consistently? Are you not installing timers with your systems? I keep my emitters above ground punched into the main line. Pin down and bury it in between. Are you using 1/4" tubing with an emitter on the end...punched into the main drip line below ground? Or are you burying your dripline emitters and all?

Some folks, in certain areas that get water from the skies consistently, sporadically use the drip line after the plants have become established. This long period of non-use could allow enough time for roots to grow into the emitters or other outlets. Yes I've seen it grow into drip emitters.

Tony Clifton
02-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Some folks, in certain areas that get water from the skies consistently, sporadically use the drip line after the plants have become established. This long period of non-use could allow enough time for roots to grow into the emitters or other outlets. Yes I've seen it grow into drip emitters.

Exactly.

Do you use much drip? Would you consider it a big problem? I have seen it happen, and have heard that it is one of the downfalls of drip. The concept makes sense to me, but in terms of time do you think it is something that happens in days, weeks, months, years?

mitchgo
02-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Exactly.

Do you use much drip? Would you consider it a big problem? I have seen it happen, and have heard that it is one of the downfalls of drip. The concept makes sense to me, but in terms of time do you think it is something that happens in days, weeks, months, years?

Keep it above ground.. or bury it no more then an inch with your mulch /bark.
I personally wouldn't worry about it, Kinda over kill! Like my dad last year took out a 6 foot tall apple tree that was 6 feet away from the drain field of their septic, he was paranoid the roots would get into the drainage....

It really depends on what kind of drip you are using. Most drip require yearly maintenance anyways so for it to get bad would be someone on your part ( unless its completely buried. I also think for that to happen, you would be watering too frequently and not enough run time. The roots seem to be relying solely on that drip emitter source of water.

BrandonV
02-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Exactly.

around here I tell people drip is fine for and establishment period (3-5 years) which is all fine and dandy, to have it a whole lot longer it becomes a lot of maintenance... squirrels around here chew on it, deer pull it up, landscapers cut it, it clogs up whatever. Its temporariness is one of the reasons people in raleigh/LEED and others are pushing drip so hard, they don't want you to have irrigation, so drip has that advantage because it'll be worn out.

AI Inc
02-14-2009, 09:06 AM
ANother advantage of drip is no one sees it running. If you have 30$k in plantings an a water ban , you can save those plantings.

BrandonV
02-14-2009, 09:07 AM
ANother advantage of drip is no one sees it running. If you have 30$k in plantings an a water ban , you can save those plantings.

sneaky sneaky

Sprinkus
02-14-2009, 09:11 AM
AS you guys know, if you don't run drip consistently there can be a problem with roots going to where the water is (which is in the tubing) and clogging up the emitters. In my brief search I could not find any info, but isn't some of the newer stuff treated to burn off roots on contact with the emitter or am I tripping?

Toro DL2000 (http://www.toro.com/irrigation/res/lowvolume/dl2000/index.html)
Hmmm, it uses a "force field"! I must be tripping too!

AI Inc
02-14-2009, 09:11 AM
sneaky sneaky

220/221 , whatever it takes.

Kiril
02-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Right materials, correct design & installation, intelligent scheduling, and proper maintenance ..... drip works great. In fact, any of the aforementioned items also apply to solid set, but don't tell that to Leary.

The only downside is the critter chewing, but then you can say the same thing for any poly pipe system. Anyone who pulls poly should have no problems with using drip ... and by drip I mean netafim.

AI Inc
02-14-2009, 09:33 AM
i and by drip I mean netafim.

I couldnt agree more.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Toro DL2000 (http://www.toro.com/irrigation/res/lowvolume/dl2000/index.html)
Hmmm, it uses a "force field"! I must be tripping too!

Do you have any feedback on this stuff? The TORO name gives me pause but even blind squirrels find snatch.

AI Inc
02-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Do you have any feedback on this stuff? The TORO name gives me pause but even blind squirrels find snatch.

If its a snatch you can find by smelling, is it a snatch you would even want?

DanaMac
02-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Stop it! Stop it!!!! Peter you opened a can of worms with that one.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-14-2009, 09:42 AM

We're talking blind squirrel here. Blind nut eaters can't be choosy about their snatch.

AI Inc
02-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Are they after nuts or snatch,? make up their mind

Kiril
02-14-2009, 09:45 AM

This is the same stuff (trifluralin) netafim uses in their techfilter, difference is, you have a choice to use it or not.

Chased down a link.

http://www.toromicroirrigation.com/ProductFiles/pdf/ALT070-0202%20SDI%20Rootguard.pdf

Also, Geoflow puts life expectancy at 15-20 years, but it only carries a 10 year warranty.

http://www.nrrbs.com.au/pumprootguard.htm

With the Netafim solution you have unlimited lifespan, BUT, you cannot buy only the filter.

TRILAWNCARE
02-14-2009, 10:35 AM

We're talking blind squirrel here. Blind nut eaters can't be choosy about their snatch.

What happen to professionalism???? :dizzy:

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-14-2009, 10:42 AM
What happen to professionalism???? :dizzy:

That was bad. Felt naughty this morning. A-1 loves that stuff so I was just feeding his funny bone. I'm going to be professional the rest of the day.

Sprinkus
02-14-2009, 10:44 AM

It took a lot of sniffing and a couple of unpleasant hairs up my nose but I did come to the conclusion that the DL2000 drip and the DDCWP controllers are acceptable products to use.
I've installed a lot of DL2000 and even with the hard water here it has held up well over the years.

BrandonV
02-14-2009, 12:11 PM
That was bad. Felt naughty this morning. A-1 loves that stuff so I was just feeding his funny bone. I'm going to be professional the rest of the day.

we'll be taking bets in the gambling forum on how long the professionalism last.

AI Inc
02-14-2009, 03:42 PM

Im a 46 yo child , what can I say?

irrigationgrl
02-14-2009, 05:48 PM

Ohh yeah I forgot, ty for reminding me DanaMac.
I still asked him two questions that he did not answer. Are you burying your emitters or not?
I have also seen roots grow into emitters and clog them up, but only in buried emitters in drip lines that some other person installed and I am replacing. That is why I advised him to keep his emitters above ground Sir.

DanaMac
02-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Ohh yeah I forgot, ty for reminding me DanaMac.
I still asked him two questions that he did not answer. Are you burying your emitters or not?
I have also seen roots grow into emitters and clog them up, but only in buried emitters in drip lines that some other person installed and I am replacing. That is why I advised him to keep his emitters above ground Sir.

We don't bury drip here in my garbage can. We lay it all above ground with mulch, fabric, rock, etc on top, and single or multiple emitters to each planting. We don't do the Netafim to the plants here as someone else mentioned.