PDA

View Full Version : Training???

garmel
02-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know of any place that offers hands-on training for doing walkways, patios and retaining walls?

Bru75
02-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Pavetech has a paver installation school, Hardscape N. America has hands-on courses, and you might want to look into ICPI and NCMA certification classes (these are not "hands-on" but will help you with the basics). Just do a few web searches for the above.

zedosix
02-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Does anyone know of any place that offers hands-on training for doing walkways, patios and retaining walls?

How about working for a reputable company that does hardscaping.

tatmkr
02-14-2009, 02:28 PM
-Find your nearest paver manufacturer and/or distributor. I know every manufacturer in my area offers hands on classes ad most of the distributors do as well.
- Word of advice, I look at each hardscape new hire as a three year project to get them to the minumum level of experience to call them a hardscaper.:weightlifter:

NewHorizon's Land
02-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Are you looking for traing for you or your employees? If for you I would suggest working for a company that is very good at hardscaping. I wish I would have done this and then started my business

4Russl5
02-14-2009, 04:16 PM
For natural stone retaining walls/fences you should check out the Dry Stone Conservancy in Lexington Kentucky. In my opinion this is the only way to work with natural stone. I am certified through them as a dry stone mason as well as my lead guy. You will be able to put up retaining walls with confidence and warranty them without losing sleep.
Russ

2low4NH
02-15-2009, 12:30 AM
we take all new hires and use them for grunt workers for the first year to 2 years! around the 5 year mark is when they are able to work on there own. i have been around this work for 13 years now and i still find myself looking for answers from time to time. so in the end if you dont have prior exp i would stay away from hardscaping for customers.

Bru75
02-15-2009, 12:15 PM
What is your experience, Garmel?
If you are experienced in landscape or construction, I would suggest that you learn as much as you can about hardscape installation first, and start small (small walkways, planting beds, etc.).
I agree that it takes years to gain enough experience and knowledge to properly install hardscapes, but we all had to start somewhere, and not everybody is in a position that will allow them to start at the bottom working for somebody else.
The key is to know your own abilities, and not to try anything too complicated too soon.
Good luck with it.