PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on my site

ritchiem
02-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some feedback on my website. I have been working on it for some time now...tweaking SEO and content lately. And I am looking for opinions, errors, what you deem wrong or not worthy for the type of site.

I may also need help on how to grab attention in a more positive manner. Let me know your thoughts.

It is easy for me to give my opinions on others sites, but hard to critique my own.

Check it out

www.murphyslawns.com (http://www.murphyslawns.com)

Thanks in advance,

Lucky Star Lawn Care
02-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Looks pretty good...The popup captions seem to come and go pretty quick before I was able to finish reading it it was gone, I did notice you had them below also though

Kiril
02-14-2009, 11:05 AM
In my FF + extensions the site layout is completely butchered without enabling JS for the domain, and still slightly butchered without youtube enabled. Last menu item breaks and as a result is positioned behind the flash.

Other issues.

1) The header logo .... might try positioning the background a few pixels higher from the bottom border ... text breaks the consistency of it.

2) gallery ... dump images 4 & 5, keep all full sized images a consistent size.

3) organic lawn care highlighted on main page but not listed in your services. Also redundancy on main page.

4) Personally I would dump the youtube, or at least limit it to a single page (gallery)

5) Got enough CSS hacks to choke a horse ... are they really all necessary?

6) Got enough JS to choke 10 horses .... yikes. Think about conditional includes and alternatives to JS (ex. no need for the suckerfish menu)

7) Lot of external resources (I'm sure you know what I mean)

8) Without taking a hard look, seems to me the code is seriously bloated

9) Outline is a bit off, but not bad all considering.

Well there you go for a quick look. Congrats on getting it to validate even with all the flash and JS. Also validates to strict DTD. :clapping:

ritchiem
02-14-2009, 11:15 AM
sweet deal...and thanks Kiril

I'll start working on some of those issues tonight. The suckerfish menu was a way to reorder may pages as WP has a terrible time doing this. But I'll see if I can find an alternative.

The YouTube.com video has increased my ranks a lot...however it doesn't need to be on every page I suppose.

Never even noticed that Organic Care was not in my services...thank you for seeing that.

I love CSS...

I'll work on getting the site to be more 'disabled JS' ready.

Getting the site to validate was fun...but it is just as important as anything.

ritchiem
02-14-2009, 11:55 AM
1) The header logo .... might try positioning the background a few pixels higher from the bottom border ... text breaks the consistency of it.

I was actually riding the bottom boarder on purpose. Thought it looked neat. I'll do another header to bring it off to see what it looks like.

Team-Green L&L
02-19-2009, 11:09 AM
GOOD STUFF:

This is one of the best optimized sites I've seen yet on LS. Your image file name bear keywords, MOST of your java is in separate files and not in the head, your ALT tags are written extremely well, you took the time to verify the site on Google's Webmaster Tools, and I even see some organized code there.

Good Job! Now for the critique...

BAD STUFF:

1 Meta Description is "Spammy" and looks keyword-stuffed

2. Hidden text with similar color schematics to background color is an SEO "no-no":

We'll Keep You Growing | Lawn Care, Garden Maintenance, Organic Care, Seasonal Cleanups | Servicing: Collingwood, Meaford, Nottawa, Thornbury, Blue Mountain

3. Your HTML Markup is Valid, but your CSS Markup shows 39 errors and 222 warnings

4. Your index page is in a folder named Wordpress, which is a blogger software. I would definitely move it to the root folder or a folder named "Lawn Care" or something.

ritchiem
02-19-2009, 04:39 PM
2. Hidden text with similar color schematics to background color is an SEO "no-no":

We'll Keep You Growing | Lawn Care, Garden Maintenance, Organic Care, Seasonal Cleanups | Servicing: Collingwood, Meaford, Nottawa, Thornbury, Blue Mountain

I was not trying to hide it as keyword stuffing. My CSS sheet picked it up as body text and applied that color. I need to create a different CSS rule.

3. Your HTML Markup is Valid, but your CSS Markup shows 39 errors and 222 warnings

Bah...I know. I battled the 100 errors with the HTML last week. Need to attack the CSS soon. I wont be able to get them all...but I'll try.

4. Your index page is in a folder named Wordpress, which is a blogger software. I would definitely move it to the root folder or a folder named "Lawn Care" or something.

Fixed...missed that, thanks.

Team-Green L&L
02-20-2009, 11:12 AM
IMO, you have a great site built on an easy to manage platform. I can't suggest a better option for your needs in CMS selection and design.

I would consider rounding the corners of your images. Watch how many "Ope Space Ads" you have on your homepage, as you don't want to be identified as a referral site, but rather, a commercial site.

Don't pull your hair out to get the CSS completely valid, but do try and don't give up at the first hurdle.