PDA

View Full Version : Professional Help Needed!

garmel
02-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Below is a picture off of my front porch. The view of my neighbors yard is too much to look at. The fence is my other neighbors and I cannot extend it due to zoning. What can I do to help with this unsightly view. There are numerous mature trees so the area doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight. Moving isn't an option though that might be easiest. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. It's winter here and we just got hit with this wind storm so my yard is looking beat right now too...just don't want anyone to think I'm just a grumpy neighbor.

White Gardens
02-14-2009, 11:38 AM
It's going to be hard to be able to get any larger screening type plants to grow in those conditions.

Too many trees sucking the moisture and sun.

Your evergreen bushes in the landscaping look pretty good, might want to think about extending the landscaping along the property line and put a row of Arborvitae in.

My only other thought would be some large perennial grasses, but I would start with one just to see how it grows in the shade. The less sun, grasses will grow shorter and not as full.

Even if you don't get a complete screening effect, just putting in some plants will help break up the view a little.

O.K. That's a 50 dollar consultation, I'll send you info where to mail the check. :laugh:

garmel
02-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks....what about some sort of pine trees?

White Gardens
02-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks....what about some sort of pine trees?

That's what I was meaning with the evergreens. Certain breeds of Arborvitae tends to have a compact up-right "pillar" type of look to them and can grow extremely tall, though slowly. I've seen people put 50 or so in for screening. It appears that you already have some sort of Arborvitae in your landscape beds already.

There not cheap though, and bag worms can destroy them if not controlled, so If it were me, I'd try a couple out for a season so if they all die from the shading, then your not out a lot of money.

My only other thought would be a shade tolerant evergreen bamboo, but, the look might not fit into the landscaping, and if you get a spreading, non clumping bamboo, it can be a disaster without some sort of rhizome blocker for the roots.

Uranus
02-14-2009, 11:58 AM
You have wires in the same area that you want screening. You cant go to high without causing problems in the future.

From what I see a few more arbs is the easiest quick fix. Maybe even extend the bed out to the tree with packy and then all the way to to one on the border of prop line. Toss in some arbs and something else for spring and summer color.

What exactly is the regulation on fences. some allow you to bring the fence up to the front corner of the house and others it's the back corner.

Another pic or 2 might help. Maybe something from the road looking towards your house and then one from the same location looking towards your neighbor's ugly swing set.

daveyo
02-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Is that a White Oak with Pachysandra underneath it? I would take that down, messy tree and it looks a little hacked anyway. I would loosen up the soil add organic matter and make a nice bedding area and add Leyland Cypress, very fast growing and esy to maintain. You can break up the leylands with some smaller plantings and color. Add a small water feature also to try and break up any noise that comes from the swing. If nothing else it'll ease your mind when their out there. There are also plenty of shade tolerant species that grow larger and would create the same look.

garmel
02-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I'll get more pics. Zoning is that we can't have fences in our front yards but i have the one from my neighbors back yard that I was hoping i could extend, zoning turned it down. Is "packy" the ground cover around the tree? I like your idea!

garmel
02-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Pics from the front.

JB1
02-14-2009, 01:31 PM
plant some forsythia along there.

garmel
02-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Will they grow good if they don't get full sun? what about the color , there is a lot of tree cover around.

daveyo
02-14-2009, 02:26 PM
I'll get more pics. Zoning is that we can't have fences in our front yards but i have the one from my neighbors back yard that I was hoping i could extend, zoning turned it down. Is "packy" the ground cover around the tree? I like your idea!

Thats what it looks like from my couch lol. It looks as if you have sandy if not very good draining soil, that is a plus I think you'll be fine with the Leylands. The key is you have the Arbs that are doing well, that means your soil is draining, your getting at least 6 hours of sun from some point into the front of the property. How long have those Arbs been in? You could also go with some large Holly, there a bit more expensive but they tolerate shade very well, the down side for me is the leaves are serated hence they hurt.

CLARK LAWN
02-14-2009, 02:33 PM
hey garmel were are you at that area looks real familiar to me, im from poland

daveyo
02-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Looking at that last picture, gives me a bit more perspective. I would strategically place maybe two or three bedding areas going from the back to front. Make them large enough to cover any eye sores and curve them slightly to add style and flow. Place you selected specimens inside the beds, it could even be a mix say two Leylands on one side of a bed with a nice Large Holly in the middle. Alternate plantings but keep the same theme in each bed, add some of your ground cover or splash it up with shade loving plants. I love large leaf Hosta, and larger leaf plants. Add your shade color and your good to go.

garmel
02-14-2009, 02:42 PM
i'm in boardman off mill creek park

CLARK LAWN
02-14-2009, 06:17 PM
are you a business or a home owner? I have prolandscape design software if you would like a design.

White Gardens
02-14-2009, 06:36 PM
are you a business or a home owner? I have prolandscape design software if you would like a design.

Ha, that's funny because I was just going to download one of the pics and do quick design until I read your post.

garmel
02-14-2009, 06:42 PM
This is my house and I have a part time lawn & landscape business. My business has grown beyond lawn care. I don't have design software yet.

Isobel
02-14-2009, 08:03 PM
put in a berm of soil, and plant on top of that.

EagleLandscape
02-14-2009, 08:03 PM
forsythia is a deciduous plant, bad idea. just extend the bed that is along the fence, and plant screening shrubs that max out at 10'.

simple, problem solved.

garmel
02-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Clark Lawn-
Who do you use for supplies and equipment? I use Elliott's and Do-Cut. I'm losing interest in Do-Cut. Just curious.

CLARK LAWN
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
i use both of those plus cbs topsoil. my shop is right on south ave. so its right there. I never have a problem with do-cut if i need something i can call them and it will be ready when i get there. I have bought all my stuff there plus i'm the quartermaster for the poland fire dept. and i buy alot of stuff for them thru do-cut between both i probably give them 12k-15k a year.

garmel
02-15-2009, 11:01 PM
You run Toro mowers? The only complaint I have about Do-Cut is that they can keep my equipment for a long time and getting a loaner is like pulling teeth. They always give me one but it's a headache. Do you do more lawn maintenance or landscape work? My day job is on South Ave by Wes Reserve.

CLARK LAWN
02-15-2009, 11:01 PM
how does this look

garmel
02-15-2009, 11:03 PM
What look?

CLARK LAWN
02-15-2009, 11:13 PM
i trued to post a image from prolandscape but it wont let me i need to try to save it to a different file. were do you work? my shop right now is in the old sams club and the first of the month im moving to the corner of south ave ext and north lima rd.right there by valley truck outfitters.

CLARK LAWN
02-15-2009, 11:15 PM
i run all toro and i never have a problem getting a loaner i had a 60 diesel z for almost a month last year when my hydros went out on one

garmel
02-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Valley Office Solutions. you keep all your equipment in the old sam's? I need a place to store mine.

CLARK LAWN
02-15-2009, 11:28 PM
i have about 700 sqf off the outside of the building on the north side. if you look back you can see one of my trucks there right now, the other one is inside because its full of salt. i have a private bay with my own door and all just not big enough the place im moving into is about 1750 sqf.
all my equipment is toro and stihl.

garmel
02-15-2009, 11:30 PM
I have all toro and stihl too. I've been happy with it so far. I bought it all new in 2008.

KCLawnTamers
02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
You can run a row of upright junipers to create a screen... Easy to maintain...