PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizing

xtremelawn
02-14-2009, 11:02 AM
When is the best time to apply my first fertilizer of the spring. Is there a certain soil temp that I am looking for? My lawns are Bermuda and St. Aug.
I don't want to waste my fert. but I want my yards to be the first to green up. I hate when a customer ask why the neighbors yard is green and theirs is not. What is the best fert for early green up? Liquid or granular?

Thanks

a plus bob
02-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Fertilize heavy nitrogen in fall they will be the first lawn to pop in spring.Fert in spring will cause disease,heavy top growth.problems later when it gets hot
your main concern in spring is pre-mergent.I use dry slow release fert with crabgrass preventer with low N.

VARMIT COMMISSION
02-14-2009, 01:44 PM
xtremelawn,
What kind of grass is it? Heavy fall fert. of nitrogen is going to leave you with dollar spot, spring dead spots in the spring.

a plus bob
02-14-2009, 02:33 PM
areas differ my area heavy N in the fall is the way to go your area might be differnt.Most people in my area use a higher rate of N without disease problems in spring.

Hoots
02-14-2009, 02:50 PM
I use a little N for the spring Pre-M app. I would contact a local fert company to sub these things out until you have a better grasp on some of these things. The last thing you want to do is over-apply products. Not to preach, but remember you need a license to apply any pre-emergents etc. You can do straight fertilizer without licensing.

BTW you don't always want your properties to be the first to green up. Every year it seems like we have a late frost to set back everything. I think it was 2 years ago, I was throwing green 419 sod (cut from the south) in the snow in the middle of April.

greendoctor
02-14-2009, 03:14 PM
If your lawns are bermuda and st augustine, not cool season grasses, they are in no position to utilize what is applied until green up. I am extremely uncomfortable with the idea of having fertilizer in the soil when it will not be utilized by the grass. The fertilizer will most likely feed diseases, weeds or worse yet, run off or leach to where it should not go. In my area, grass does not go completely dormant, however climate can be very unpredictable. I just went through 3 months of no sun, clouds, and heavy rain. Not to mention daytime highs of less than 75. Warm season grasses are not in a stage of active growth under those conditions. I spoon feed all of my lawns monthly, so I cut the N to less than 1/4 lb per month or completely. In other years it can get up to 89 in December. That is when I do not want to starve the grass. Starved grass burns out in the heat and humidity.

xtremelawn
02-14-2009, 06:35 PM
The lawns are Burmuda and St Aug.

greendoctor
02-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Good. Start your first round when it is warm enough for the grass to be actively growing. I rather not feed weeds, storm drains or the water table.