PDA

View Full Version : Looking At Starting a Lawn Maintenance Company

WGLandscapeMaintenance
02-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Title says it all, What do I need to know?

albhb3
02-15-2009, 01:22 AM
read and use the search button youll figure it all out welcome

FourTrees
02-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Just start reading threads. Tons of good info here, just grab threads that sound interesting and go.

BUT do not stop here. Go to your local library or book store, find the best books you can find. Get them and start reading. There are some great books that lay it out there for you.

Problem with asking that question here is that it takes BOOKS and EXPERIENCE to explain it all. No one here has enough time to spell it all out.

No harm in asking questions, just bring enough info with you to ask specifics and you'll get far better answers.

LB1234
02-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Try asking specific questions.

Suburban Cowboy
02-15-2009, 03:18 PM
IMO- I think there are going to be a lot of new companies this year! We are all hurting

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
02-15-2009, 03:37 PM

Do you have any experience in this industry?

WGLandscapeMaintenance
02-17-2009, 01:45 AM
yes i do, in 07 i worked for a lawn company 1 day a week (first job) tough work but enjoyed it (mowing, trimming, leaf blowing), but was getting paid cash and my grandpa (CPA) wasn't happy with that so i had to get a new job, which was at a govt park district doing park maintenance which was mowing, trimming, and way too much tree work, and this year i am still debating what i want to do for a job whether its working for the park but at a golf course or starting a lawn company full time or doing the golf course work and part time lawn work because im 17 and a senior in high school and will be going to college in late aug. I do have the entrepreneurial spirit and i definitely would like doing lawn work for my own clients rather than for a govt golf course making barely anything compared to the lawn company, and also, i plan on owning a lawn company after college and to be able to operate and still make a profit i will have to charge more than i will now, but would that turn away customers even though it will offer more services?

ALLPro Landscaping
02-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Check with local laws and regulations first before anything, if this is something you want to do, make it legal

WGLandscapeMaintenance
02-17-2009, 03:10 AM
Yeah I had figured that, I wont turn 18 until June and in MN you cant own a company until then but I would like to start working in April or whenever the snow decides to leave. How would I pull that off?

chepamab
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
I would continue with the park job, since you are leaving for school in August. Plus, you should make your business legal, which means doing your books when school starts, and from my personal experience you'll be to overwhelmed with classes and homework to have to put up with your books (not to mention tax time).

WGLandscapeMaintenance
02-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah that does make sense, I'm kinda pissed because I really wanted to start out with my own company but now I gotta wait 4 years :/

Trevors Lawn Care
02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah that does make sense, I'm kinda pissed because I really wanted to start out with my own company but now I gotta wait 4 years :/

BS MATT! Dont let anyone stop you from doing what you wanna do! Email me and we can discuss further. Where there's a will, there's a way.

TrevorBBLL@gmail.com

Trevor

Carolina Cuts
02-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Looking At Starting a Lawn Maintenance Company

Why not?? Everybody else is.... :clapping:

ps... do a search.

WHIPPLE5.7
02-26-2009, 07:26 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=13339

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1769/15637874.th.png (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=15637874.png)

CGlandscaping
02-26-2009, 08:26 PM
If the economy is as "BAD" as everyone is trying to make it out to be here... then good luck... lol im gettin sick of hearing about it... really fighting to try and fill our schedule this year... have had some customers say they really really like our work and will send a testimonial and have but will not be able to afford to mow... this is first year i have ever but out fliers, ads in paper and lettered all the trucks.... Just keep your expenses low and get your name out there.... and good luck... I sure hope mine turns around lol

MC Handy Man
02-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Matt, where are you from in minnesota? where are you going to college? I was the same way, I wanted to start right out of high school but i was going off to college. I am in the mean time operating a succesfull HandyMan business. I love it because I am learning book keeping, work ethics, time managment and most of all customer service. If you can just go to college and find a small business to start up while you are in school it will help you so much money now and experiance in your future. I am in minnesota aswell. while the grass is not growing I am plowing snow, shoveling roofs, drywalling tiling and many other things but when the spring comes around I get to mow lawns and work on the green industry experiance. Dont worry about the four years that will seemingly be wasted, your only getting a headstart for the futur if you really think about it. Take this time to study grass, landscaping, business and what it takes to become a succesfull entrepreneuer.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
02-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Matt, where are you from in minnesota? where are you going to college? I was the same way, I wanted to start right out of high school but i was going off to college. I am in the mean time operating a succesfull HandyMan business. I love it because I am learning book keeping, work ethics, time managment and most of all customer service. If you can just go to college and find a small business to start up while you are in school it will help you so much money now and experiance in your future. I am in minnesota aswell. while the grass is not growing I am plowing snow, shoveling roofs, drywalling tiling and many other things but when the spring comes around I get to mow lawns and work on the green industry experiance. Dont worry about the four years that will seemingly be wasted, your only getting a headstart for the futur if you really think about it. Take this time to study grass, landscaping, business and what it takes to become a succesfull entrepreneuer.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, I live in the NW Metro, but I am going to school in Grand Forks (UND) so operating a business 5 hours away from home would be a little hard, and I have friends right now that have lawn companies, and when I leave for college I could have them do the mowing work and direct the funds to them, possibly?

FourTrees
02-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the tips and encouragement, I live in the NW Metro, but I am going to school in Grand Forks (UND) so operating a business 5 hours away from home would be a little hard, and I have friends right now that have lawn companies, and when I leave for college I could have them do the mowing work and direct the funds to them, possibly?

Why not start it in Grand forks then? Move there as soon as you can and get started.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
02-27-2009, 12:26 AM
There really isn't a lot of potential business up there, they do get a lot of snow, however there aren't as many customers as there are down here in the metro

MC Handy Man
02-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Matt, nice chioce of school, I was going to go there but I decided to go to Itasca community college in Grand Rapids for two years then I am off to bemidji. I am from Coon Rapids, I still have 12 accounts back there in andover, blaine and coon rapids but i am going to drop those acounts and focus on Bemidji and grand rapids. Whta is your feild of study? What are your futur goals? you wanting to open up back in your home town? Haha thats understandable that there arent any clients up there, they are either farmers or brother of a farmer who owns a nice mower. Lets keep in touch though bro,,,, we both are going through the same crap. send me a PM anytime.:drinkup:

WGLandscapeMaintenance
02-27-2009, 02:19 PM
My field of study will most likely be Accountancy or Managerial Accounting. I would then be able to do all my Accounting work on my own for my company, and my ultimate dream would be to have an Accounting job and run my company, having people do the work while I do the Accounting and work with clients. I will most likely end up back where I live (Champlin). But my dream would be to transfer to the U of Miami after 2 years at UND and graduate from there and live down in south Florida and do the Accounting job and run my company, then I don't have to deal with snow :)

lawnworker
03-16-2009, 07:54 PM
After you get your degree, I would try to run somthing other then a green industy business

WGLandscapeMaintenance
03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
I really enjoy doing lawn work/landscaping, and my dream is to have an accounting job and run a lawn/landscape company as well as own a large piece of land and promote motocross races.

lawnworker
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Matt you should think about lawn care to build up money for moto cross track and maybe become a motorcycle dealer. This lawn care/Landscaping is just going to get harder to run as time goes by.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
03-16-2009, 10:09 PM
A dealership is that last thing I want to do, especially with the way these laws against any OHV's are coming. Thanks for the advice.

Trevors Lawn Care
03-20-2009, 11:40 AM

Anyone looking to start a lawn company should email me at TrevorBBLL@gmail.com I am the property manager responsible for finding vendors for around 200 commercial accounts. We are accepting bids now.

Trevor

dewos
03-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Matt,

I am in college 3 hours away from my home. I run my business at home and come home on the weekends to do the work I need to do untill I am done with school, the miles are a tax write off. When I was doing about 35 accounts wkly It was just too hard to do. Keep it small but def. do it. Owning a business looks Very good on paper for future refrences. Say your business does not work out and you want to get a job with some company. You can put on ur res. they you owned your own company for X amount of years, ran the books, delt with cust. relations, and much more. Not even counting the life lessons you learn with owning your own business and the contacts you meet are amazing. I get all my Shirts and hats made for free because I made a close friend in the industry. I get baseball tickets a couple times a year from another business free, because we work side by side alot. Now remember its not all a take take situation you must give some to.

Besides the fun and new contacts it can be stressful, say you have 15 wkly accts and it has been raining hard for the past wk and cust are calling and complaining there isn't much you can do inless you wanna try and go cut it. Or maybe your lawnmower shoots a rock into the next doors window. Little stuff will happen I had a river rock in someones yard I did not see shoot threw my walk behing into someones house... UGH was not pretty and cost my insurance a pretty penny lol but once again different things will happen. But over all Good exp.