PDA

View Full Version : Is second guessing

irrigationgrl
02-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Is second guessing yourself a useful thought process in this line of work?

Wet_Boots
02-15-2009, 12:46 PM
It is if you can get paid time and material while you're doing it payup

DanaMac
02-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Not very useful to me. Make a decision and stick with it. If it doesn't work, then change it next time. You'll be thinking coulda, woulda, shoulda all day long if you don't live with your decision.

Are you second guessing our little club here? :)

mitchgo
02-15-2009, 12:49 PM
confidence is the key to most things

Sprinkus
02-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Sure it is! Uhhh, well.....maybe it isn't.
Oh no! I can't decide! :confused:

bicmudpuppy
02-15-2009, 01:15 PM

I don't think you worded the question right. That or I am not following your question at all. Wondering, or "second guessing", why or how you got to point B from point A happens. Making an extra effort to second guess how you got to a particular point can be self destructive. Going back through your thought procedure when your current location in the problem solving path is not where you want to be is simple trouble shooting. The "what assumption did I make" that got me here and why was it WRONG is, again, just trouble shooting. Figuring out the "right" path separates the professional from the trunk slammer, but even a true pro can spend days on a project that "should" have only taken a couple of hours. Right ML?

Beating yourself up over how much you left on the table is a different kind of second guessing, and I've never found it productive. Make a decision about pricing you can live with and then LIVE with it.

Mike Leary
02-15-2009, 01:18 PM
even a true pro can spend days on a project that "should" have only taken a couple of hours. Right ML?

Very true, you never quit learning. :cry:

Kiril
02-15-2009, 01:28 PM

That depends. If it leads to future improvements in application and efficiency, then yes it is useful, but not necessarily while on the job.

Correct preparation/planning is essential to any project and will help minimize your "second guessing" episodes.

That being said, don't be afraid to correct mistakes along the way especially if it is related to the quality of your work. Personally, if I see something during a job that I "should have done" a certain way, I correct it on my dime.

Mike Leary
02-15-2009, 01:53 PM
I've done designs off a LA plant call-out only to have to re-do the whole thing in the field to get proper coverage after the plant specs were changed. :dizzy:

ARGOS
02-15-2009, 07:36 PM
I say there should be no first guessing. Helps avoid second guessing.

EagleLandscape
02-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I say there should be no first guessing. Helps avoid second guessing.

you and i are on the same page my man!

Dripit good
02-16-2009, 08:26 AM

Depends. If you don't know what you are doing and are trying to learn I would say it's a healthy attribute.

If you know what you are doing and often find yourself there you are either lazy (with scruples) or it's a lack of confidence.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Wish they had used a little second guessing on that Stimulus Bill.

I'm in the make decisions on the fly category. I'm always open to efficiency factors that still lead to my desired end result. I'm never afraid to question myself and rediscovering a new me or a new way.

I've repaired many a screw up and thought to myself. "I wish this DOOFUS had second guessed himself."

Kiril
02-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm in the make decisions on the fly category. I'm always open to efficiency factors that still lead to my desired end result. I'm never afraid to question myself and rediscovering a new me or a new way.

Exactly! I am always looking for ways to do things smarter and more efficiently. If I find myself saying "this is taking too long", I immediately start thinking of ways it could be done smarter and faster, while still maintaining my high quality standards.

Waterit
02-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Second-guessing is for pikers.

Kiril
02-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Second-guessing is for pikers.

Guess the means you do alot of it heh? :p

Waterit
02-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Guess the means you do alot of it heh? :p

I am, after all, the Dweeb Dork Piker Hack.

Dripit good
02-16-2009, 11:33 AM
God takes special care of puppies, babies and dweeb dork piker hacks.

DanaMac
02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
God takes special care of puppies, babies and dweeb dork piker hacks.

And atheists........ :)

Dripit good
02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Dana....I suppose Leopold is the new hero in town?

DanaMac
02-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Dana....I suppose Leopold is the new hero in town?

?????????????

Dripit good
02-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Sorry...in my own little world.

Your hockey team played a great game against the Wings yesterday. They won in an overtime shootout. It was Leopold's first time in a shootout and he beat Ozy for the winning goal. :drinkup:

Kiril
02-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Leopold

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/Benjamin_von_Block_001.jpg/210px-Benjamin_von_Block_001.jpg

VS.

Ozzy

http://www.merryswankster.com/images/Ozzy_teeth.jpeg

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Stars are starting to show some spunk again. I'm hoping they get hot late like last year. Miss Morrow bad.

DanaMac
02-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Sorry...in my own little world.

Your hockey team played a great game against the Wings yesterday. They won in an overtime shootout. It was Leopold's first time in a shootout and he beat Ozy for the winning goal. :drinkup:

I've only watched one Avs game this year. And that was on the ski trip. My buddy in Steamboat is a big fan, and the Avs lost to the wild. Sent them to the worst record in the West.

I'm more of a college hockey fan, season CC tickets, but I think I'm giving them up after this season.

irrigationgrl
02-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Oh heck, I thought I responded back to your replies on this topic already..musta dreamed it. I do have a opinion on this but busy at the moment will defiantly post it up tomorrow.

Wet_Boots
02-21-2009, 10:19 PM
We await with bated breath....

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 10:22 PM
We await with bated breath....

We're not big hockey fans out here.

Wet_Boots
02-21-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm a zinfandel fan myself

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I got a new job driving.

Sprinkus
02-21-2009, 10:44 PM
I do have a opinion on this but busy at the moment will defiantly post it up tomorrow.

Wow! A defiant post?!
I think that she'll fit in just fine!

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Wow! A defiant post?!
I think that she'll fit in just fine!

Comments like that tell me it's our old SHE, bad spelling and all. :clapping:

hoskm01
02-22-2009, 03:24 AM
Was there ever any doubt? Nice try, but transparent.

irrigationgrl
02-24-2009, 09:17 PM
I don't think you worded the question right. That or I am not following your question at all. Wondering, or "second guessing", why or how you got to point B from point A happens. Making an extra effort to second guess how you got to a particular point can be self destructive. Going back through your thought procedure when your current location in the problem solving path is not where you want to be is simple trouble shooting. The "what assumption did I make" that got me here and why was it WRONG is, again, just trouble shooting. Figuring out the "right" path separates the professional from the trunk slammer, but even a true pro can spend days on a project that "should" have only taken a couple of hours. Right ML?

Beating yourself up over how much you left on the table is a different kind of second guessing, and I've never found it productive. Make a decision about pricing you can live with and then LIVE with it.

By what I read in your reply, you may not be following my question at all unless you first know the definition of "second guessing" which is:
1. To criticize or correct after an outcome is known.
2. To outguess.
b. To predict or anticipate
v.intr.
To criticize a decision after its outcome is known.

Second guessing has nothing to do with troubleshooting/rethinking your path to a solution in the middle of a job. It has nothing to do with using a thought process that is self destructive either.

In this line of work and many others, it is important to critique
(second guess) your own work once a job is completed, criticize what you may have done wrong, and then correct it. That is how we learn by our mistakes. If we don't take the time to second guess our work once we are done, then we miss the opportunity to correct ourselves.

When you plan out a job, do it, and the whole job progressed smoothly, and it ended up with results that were exactly what you expected them to be during the planning stage.

If when planning the job you have correctly anticipated and predicted any problems that you might run into while doing it. Then you are using second guessing.

So yes second guessing is a valuable mind process to use in this biz when it's used as a positive tool...and not viewed as being destructive or useless.

Without A Drought
02-24-2009, 09:27 PM
this thread is nonsense. i'm second guessing checking it a second time.

irrigationgrl
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM

That was a typo, I meant definitely. Without a drought that was not a very nice thing to say about my thread.