PDA

View Full Version : Application methods

bicmudpuppy
02-15-2009, 01:32 PM
I am intrigued. I've seen a lot of hydroseeding, but I never considered it as a method of application for chem/nutrient/etc. All things being otherwise equal, would the preferred method for applying compost be as a dry topdressing followed by irrigation, or as a wet compost via hydro seeding? I had never considered the possibility of hydroseeding before. I am pretty sure, with the possible exception of the gun, that I have everything needed to convert/create a hydroseeder type applicator.

For spring overseeding of bluegrass, what would be the benefit (besides one trip) to hydroseeding vs a slit seeder w/ verticutter application, followed by a compost topdressing. Following up either method with a CT application and maybe a spoon feeding of ammonium sulfate and molasses a few days or a week after the CT.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-15-2009, 01:36 PM
all the gun is a ball valve with a brass tip you can get from turbo turf
or make your own

bicmudpuppy
02-15-2009, 01:48 PM
all the gun is a ball valve with a brass tip you can get from turbo turf
or make your own

So, the 1" flood nozzles I have for hand watering are about the same thing? Again, the difference in the world I live in. I probably have 1000' of 1" hose "handy". I have 2 and if I do some repair work 3, 2" trash pumps. I don't dare put more than 100 gallons of water in a tank and try to haul it with my turf truck, but I can fill quickly and often because I am "on site" :)

In the other thread, someone mentioned paying $15/yd for compost??? I don't think a local supplier I can use is charging $50/full dump truck. I *think* I can borrow a 10 or 14yd truck fairly easily. That means, w/ fuel cost, I won't be to $10/yd for finished compost. If I can get things rolling, I can make compost on site, but good compost takes time. Not to mention the process is just a shade slower when mean temp is just barely above freezing.

JDUtah
02-15-2009, 02:15 PM
There is a lot to be discovered still (application rates, effective TDS, etc...) but you might be interested to read this study...

Might run into discoloration and smothering issues... but still worth looking into...

DUSTYCEDAR
02-15-2009, 02:29 PM
OK I WALKED OUT INTO THE MUD FOR THIS
pics of the gun tip and such

bicmudpuppy
02-15-2009, 03:17 PM
That looks like a 3/4" brass fan w/ diffuser. I have a very similar nozzle that is partially plastic. I also have 1" flat and fire type nozzles. I'm sure, if I took the screens out, they would work well.

muddstopper
02-15-2009, 04:07 PM
If you are going to spray compost with a hydroseeder, make sure the compost is fully composted and doesnt have bits and pieces you can reconize. Screening to 1/8 will give you the least number of cloggs. When you start spraying, dont stop until the tank is empty, compost will settle in the hoses and cause a clogg. I dont think your 2in trash pumps are going to have enough umph to mix the compost and spray. I had trouble with a 3in pump, but I was using the cheap wallyworld compost. I was also mixing in a hydromulch and seed mixture, so compost and water might be ok. The cheap compost and hydroseed mixture is hard to spray with a Finn, so choose your compost carefully. Use the largest nozzels you can find as well as at least 1 1/4-1 1/2 in hoses. You can make the spray gun out of a ball valve and a short piece of pipe. Mine are made using plastic ballvalves and pipe. I like them because they are lighter than metal and cheaper.

ICT Bill
02-15-2009, 07:10 PM
In the other thread, someone mentioned paying $15/yd for compost??? I don't think a local supplier I can use is charging $50/full dump truck. I *think* I can borrow a 10 or 14yd truck fairly easily. That means, w/ fuel cost, I won't be to $10/yd for finished compost. If I can get things rolling, I can make compost on site, but good compost takes time. Not to mention the process is just a shade slower when mean temp is just barely above freezing.

That was me, the compost Pogo makes is almost famous nationally it was the compost used on the national mall project. The cost is also a little more because it is screened to 1/8 minus

Some places it is simply a waste product and can be very inexpensive

This spring you should trial some "slurry" applications, it goes very quickly and from what I have seen has great results. It would be interesting to see side by side comparisons

TG has a 2 inch piece of PVC that Phil heated and flattened to make it basically a long 1/8 inch slit. they get to a property and PPPHHHHHLLLLLSSSSSHHHHH (or whatever sound it makes) it gets drown in CT and off to the next one. On sites where they only do the front yard you don't even have to get out of the truck

treegal1
02-15-2009, 11:08 PM
guys I just got my new shipping container today and had a chance to see some of the gear I have used over the years( yes we are pack rats )

just to start

15 and 30gallon sprayer cheap worked great, added a air hose real and hose 40$ and have a skid for under 200$

then it was 6 55 gallon drums with a trash pump,11/2 inch with all sorts of pipes.....

did a big finn unit for a while1000 tanks made of steel rust traded for a 200 gallon hydro unit.

used lesco C100, sill sitting blocking the weeds from coming up, may loan it to some one soon....

now we use a pain of vans and lesco C200, one stock one with some mods.......

found a box of nozzles some I bought some home made from a PVC cap with holes to a custom pvc "wand" some JD0 guns with every mod I can think of, air over guns, even A 400$ compost tea gun I got coned into. ball valves to end all days, a hydro seed hose with wires built into it for a switch, spray carts and water wagons, poly tanks like I am nuts.....

no one here is going to re write hydrodynamics or reinvent the wheel.

I mean face it if there was one way that was the only way some guy would have gotten a patent and we would all be done for. but no not a chance, 7 years ago when I had the chance to see the first to me commercial tea brewer I said to the guy it looks like you ripped me off, my design looks the same.. and he told me he ripped some other guys idea off and he had stolen it from a swiss firm. or something like that. any ways its a basic idea. mix some compost with water and keep the air on it and you get tea, then you pump the tea out, load it in a vessel, take it to where it goes and pump it out to the plants, and if there was any damage to the " micro herd "then dont you think that it would be a standard practice to pump water to sterilize it......just stay away from piston pumps.....

I mean wow, dont any one pay any attention??? lets pick, james he keeps using me as an example, he just got off the ground not so long ago, got it lets say 50% rite(yes James just hold on) and is making a killing with low or no cost materials and loves to show off the green grass from the blue grass state. he got started with a small investment stayed in the game worked hard and smart and did it!!!! this is not brain surgery or nuclear physics.... its grass!!!!

get a pump any pump, want more tea get a bigger tank, want it to go down faster get a bigger pump and hose, want it to look nice, paint it. less noise,get a muffler. follow you around, try a trailer.........