PDA

View Full Version : Fire in your designs

MAGLIGHTING
02-15-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm not advocating unsafe equipment. Fire (in a controlled environment) can add festivity and interest to your designs

Pro-Scapes
02-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Are thoes the SPJ ones ? I rememeber talking to Chuck at FOLD about a tiki torch and I cant rememeber which manu he mentioned but one of them had problems with fuel leaks. Looks nice. Breaks up things a bit

NightLightingFX
02-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Mike,
Can you elaborate more on that tiki light. I have two projects I am working on where this tiki light combo might work. The only fixture I know about is Nightscaping's I am open to more ideas.

MAGLIGHTING
02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Are thoes the SPJ ones ? I rememeber talking to Chuck at FOLD about a tiki torch and I cant rememeber which manu he mentioned but one of them had problems with fuel leaks. Looks nice. Breaks up things a bit

This is not SPJ's or Nightscaping's or beachside's. That's a custom constructed top piece made to my spec fitted with an MR-16 halogen pathlight assemby under the Tiki hat with an extra long copper post. It has a super beefed up top with thick gauge copper so if you give it a good tap it's not going to easily dent. It also doesn't leak fuel from it's resorvoir.

MAGLIGHTING
02-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Mike,
Can you elaborate more on that tiki light. I have two projects I am working on where this tiki light combo might work. The only fixture I know about is Nightscaping's I am open to more ideas.

Ned, look at Beachside's Tiki. I see on their website they now are offering a fuel filled version of their natural Gas torch. If the quality of the top is like their natural gas version than I can recommend it to you. Be prepared to pay for it though there is alot of copper in that baby. Good luck with the project.

NightLightingFX
02-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Does Beachside's Tiki's have low volt lights in them? I get the impression from their website they don't. Does Nightscaping's TikiLiter leak?
~Ned

MAGLIGHTING
02-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Does Beachside's Tiki's have low volt lights in them? I get the impression from their website they don't. Does Nightscaping's TikiLiter leak?
~Ned

That's a question I can't answer regarding the light source in the Tiki for beachside as I've never used that particular unit. As for Nightscaping's fixture, I never had a leaking problem with the ones I used in the past. Sorry if I gave anyone that impression.

MAGLIGHTING
02-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Here's several torches around a pool. The downlight does a nice job washing the pool deck and steps

MAGLIGHTING
02-16-2009, 12:04 AM
She really does a nice job lighting the step and the pot here.

Lite4
02-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Pretty interesting light fixture there Mike. Are the ones pictured a style you had created on a mass basis or just a few for that job?

LightYourNight
02-16-2009, 03:38 AM
I totally love the fire. Are there rules in your area about open flames and how much space there should be between trees or prehaps a patio umbrella (pictured in one photo). One of my customers wanted to do something similar around a pool. The fire marshall around here is really strict and seemed very negative when I contacted them about it. They like to have any gas fixture sealed in a lantern or similar housing. Whats your expirience with the inspection process for something like this??

LightYourNight
02-16-2009, 03:52 AM
Modified after I looked over the thread again!!!!!

So I take it these are just filled with torch fuel not fueled by a gas line? I totally love the fire. Are there rules in your area about open flames and how much space there should be between trees or prehaps a patio umbrella (pictured in one photo) your pictures are always awesome by the way... I have a lot of respect for your photos.

One of my customers wanted to do something similar around a pool with nat gas. The fire marshall around here is really strict and seemed very negative when I contacted them about it. They like to have any gas fixture sealed in a lantern or similar housing. Whats your expirience with the inspection process for something like this??

MAGLIGHTING
02-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Pretty interesting light fixture there Mike. Are the ones pictured a style you had created on a mass basis or just a few for that job?

Tim the top I have fabricated locally 30 pcs at a time. As I don't use them frequently, they sit dormant until I have a call for them at which time I mate it to my pathlight (3 thumb screw system) stem assembly and install them. Torch fuel is readily available at the big boxes.

Regarding regulations on this fixture I am not aware of any. There are some properties which I wouldn't specify them such as in high fire zones or for clients that have young "spirited" children. As with anything else, common sense prevails and safety is always first.

NiteTymeIlluminations
02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Torch fuel is sorta gross and a pain in the butt to refill constantly. We use propane for our torches and its awesome. We use Beachsides and they have done everything to make sure we are completely happy with the design and have customized a few things for us.

We have used them on 12 properties now and will be using some more next week.

Check your local laws!

Lite4
02-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks Mike. I think it is cool that you are taking the bull by the horns and making what you need yourself to get it exactly like you want it. Kudos

JoeyD
02-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Those look bad a$$ Mike!! Very cool!!

We have a similar light coming out that will utilize a torch and lamp combo but not an MR16. It will have the ol' T3 Astro Brite or Intelli-Brite lamp.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Joey, what is an "intelli-brite" lamp?

NiteTymeIlluminations
04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
With Nightscaping's trouble who makes these anymore? I usually just use Beachside's torches but I have a situation where I need the downlight too.

JoeyD
04-14-2009, 01:29 PM
I want to show pictures but they wont let me yet but ours is going to be SAWEET!

James, the Intelli-Brite lamps are 24v Astro-Brites....

Pro-Scapes
04-14-2009, 03:11 PM
With Nightscaping's trouble who makes these anymore? I usually just use Beachside's torches but I have a situation where I need the downlight too.

SPJ has some but it sounds like Unique will too soon enough. Chuck Link told me Fold had some in the works as well but that was several months ago.

NiteTymeIlluminations
04-14-2009, 09:17 PM
ill check with aj or chuck...also about the SPJ...thanks!!!