PDA

View Full Version : anybody tip over a ride-on applicator?

americanlawn
02-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Has anybody ever tipped over their ride-on and dumped a bunch of fert granules? If so, what model/brand? What caused it? How did you clean up the spill?

I know we have, and it was never pretty. We scooped up the granules the best we could, then (painstakingly) used a "shop-vac" to remove the rest. Sometimes we were able to remove enough, but too often we were unable to remove enough fert to avoid killing the area.

If you had a choice to buy a "different" ride-on unit, which one would it be?

IE: The most "sure-footed", handles hills, climb steep slopes, etc. without having to worry about spilling fert.

NOTE: I ain't asking what unit will climb a 45 degree hill, nor a unit that only requires just one hand to steer.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-15-2009, 05:43 PM
I havn't tipped mine over-knock on wood:laugh: I always use the cover on top, so spillage shouldn't be an issue, or would be at a minimum:usflag: I realize it can be difficult to get some employees to actually take the few extra seconds to use one though.....

LushGreenLawn
02-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I tipped my PG Ultra. I ran into a hole that I could not see in the customers lawn. With the lawn mowed it looked like it wasn't there, grass was cut at the same height as the lawn, but just longer in the hole.

I scooped up what I could, and took a shovel, scooped about 1/2" of soil/granule mix from the area, and repaired with grass seed. Of course I talked to the customer and explained what happened. They understood, and actually paid me to fix the hole.

RigglePLC
02-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Not tipped over --yet. But fell off one time on a steep turn. In my experience with spilling a hand spreader--a spill cannot be cleaned up--hopeless. Come back in 3 days and resod whatever is needed.

Madddog6993
02-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Never tipped a stand on but I did tip over my John Deere tractor with six hundred
pounds of very expensive Fert and Merit. I hit a grassed covered hole with my rear tire.
We cleaned up what we could but that was still several rolls of sod and a brused ego. Lucky no damage to the tractor.

Real Green
02-15-2009, 09:34 PM
I tipped my PG Ultra. I ran into a hole that I could not see in the customers lawn. With the lawn mowed it looked like it wasn't there, grass was cut at the same height as the lawn, but just longer in the hole.

I scooped up what I could, and took a shovel, scooped about 1/2" of soil/granule mix from the area, and repaired with grass seed. Of course I talked to the customer and explained what happened. They understood, and actually paid me to fix the hole.

That same PG Ultra, I tipped over in my personal lawn before you ever even owned it! Haha, glad to see it's still up to it's winning ways. It was my first time using it.

pinto n mwr
02-15-2009, 10:20 PM
once was doing tree fert with a guy, he was running the three wheeled cusman with a 100 gal tank and tipped er' in the back.

I my self have never spilled on a ride on. Best ride I've used for using on steep bank is a cushman turf truckster(4 wheels) with a Vicon. Pull the Diff Lock and hang on!

Fert33
02-15-2009, 11:30 PM
I flipped a magnum last year. I was on a hill riding it parallel when both front wheels went right in hole. I didn't even see the hole because the grass was like four inches long. The ground looked completly flat. This was a new property. I went over the handle bars and flipped it side ways down the hill. The magnum went end over end and landed on the road below. It flipped right over me. I ended up on the road as well. I had to clean up a little pile of fert that ended up right in the gutter. Thank god there were not any cars coming. First time I had anything happen like that in the 6yrs I had been applicating. Of course I got up and looked around to see if anyone had seen what just happend. How funny it must have looked.

grassman177
02-15-2009, 11:36 PM
how about this, not a ride on----a jrco spreader mounted to our mower, the brackets broke and the whole spreader fell to the ground spilling aobut 75 lbs. we did the same thing american did and painstakingly shop vac'd the area but did not experience any burn. luck i guess, but ate about 1 hr out of the day!! i am sure everyone has also tipped a push spreader. sorry, thiss was about ride ons, but i thought these would apply too.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-16-2009, 10:49 AM
first pg i owned end over end what fun swep up fert took blower to what was left all good