PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for fun, hobby., etc.???

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-15-2009, 08:19 PM
What do you do for fun? Does your business consume every part of your life, or do you have a way to "break away?"

I know too many people in this business who make tons of money, but never enjoy life, because their business consumes every part of their life. (I went to see fireworks with my kids last year @ a golf course & my wife was annoyed that I wast commenting on their abundance of weeds & poorly maintained fairways:laugh:)

Me, I'm working on my pilots license & I like to do some shooting-nothing that has to do with lawns!:usflag:

So....What do you guys do for fun?

humble1
02-15-2009, 09:05 PM
EMT on a call fire dept

I like to duck hunt in the Fall, but during the season it seems I go 24/7

JB1
02-15-2009, 09:11 PM
go to tractor pullls and the riverboats.

Fert33
02-15-2009, 11:44 PM
I am very sports oriented. Played college football. I pretty much stay as active as I can. I have been getting back into playing basketball a lot here lately. It's hard though with work, kids, and a new house.

Fert33
02-15-2009, 11:47 PM
What do you do for fun? Does your business consume every part of your life, or do you have a way to "break away?"

I know too many people in this business who make tons of money, but never enjoy life, because their business consumes every part of their life. (I went to see fireworks with my kids last year @ a golf course & my wife was annoyed that I wast commenting on their abundance of weeds & poorly maintained fairways:laugh:)

Me, I'm working on my pilots license & I like to do some shooting-nothing that has to do with lawns!:usflag:

Liberty-What are shooting? What's in you arsenal?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Liberty-What are shooting? What's in you arsenal?

Just about everything:usflag: I am a firearms dealer, so I play with the used guns I take in before giving them a new home:dancing: Of course I love the AR's AK's & other military types, but I have a sweet spot for shooting clays!

dennys-lawn
02-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Wood working here :)

DLAWNS
02-16-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm a big football fan...so I pretty much dedicate every Sunday of the football season to the Giants. I love to just hang out with my wife. I used to play soccer all through college, but there aren't a lot of leagues around where you can play around me, plus I couldn't afford to get hurt. Oh I almost forgot....I spend way too much time on this site.

Surferbum21
02-16-2009, 01:58 AM

sounds a lot like my thread about "real" income. i have two friends that go 7 days a week and make alot more than I do but I am at the lake every weekend if not once or twice during the week too to do some high flying wakeboarding. Just got back from my 4th snowboard trip. other than those I hit the gym 3-4 days a week and play indoor soccer. Try and take walks with my wife and pups every other day or so. Play guitar and make love to my wie...at the same time

Russ
02-16-2009, 03:29 AM
Just about everything:usflag: I am a firearms dealer, so I play with the used guns I take in before giving them a new home:dancing: Of course I love the AR's AK's & other military types, but I have a sweet spot for shooting clays!
If you ever run across a reasonable Remington Nylon 66 Mohawk Brown, let me know.

gregory
02-16-2009, 11:15 AM
watching football when its football season....gym bjj and thai boxing....

jb1 tractor pulls are great we used to have the ones from up north come down here but they don't anymore.....

lawnsofsnh
02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Watching my four kids involved in high school,junior high,elementary school sports programs.

Riding my 2007 Harley-Davidson Street Glide!!!!

mikeylikesit5805
02-16-2009, 12:28 PM
In what little free time I have im normally attempting to build rail buggys/go carts that kind of thing. Nothing really all that impressive just something to burn up time.

MaineFert
02-16-2009, 12:46 PM
I take my mind off things with snowboarding, mountainbiking, the gym, guitar and I just recently got into woodworking. All great stress relief from out 5 month season grind.

Jim

mngrassguy
02-16-2009, 01:45 PM
NASCAR all the way. I go to as many races as I can. GO JR. Snowmobiling and ice fishing in winter, camping/canoeing in the BWCAW in the summer. I love deer hunting (both rifle and bow) and pheasant. Fishing when I have time.

wiseguyslawn
02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
snowmobiling in northern michigan, boat on lk. erie

americanlawn
02-16-2009, 04:04 PM
When I'm not playing on Sundays (defensive end for the Kansas City Chiefs):laugh:, I enjoy showing off my 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T convertible (4 speed - numbers matching) at car shows. This pic was when I drove the Iowa State Fair queen 2 years ago. Notice the reflection off the Wallace building (where we go to test for pesticide licenses) that features the gold domes of our State's capitol building.

tlg
02-16-2009, 04:05 PM
We have season tickets for a local music theater that a friend of mine owns. We spend a lot of time there and in his gourmet restaurant. We occasionally get in on some of the private parties for some of the artist that perform there and have met a few personally. It's a lot of fun. A few years ago I bought Harley's for the wife and I. We are having a great time and ride as much as we can. I also have an extensive coin collection that I have had since I was a kid. Once in a while I get to work on that. Were also new grandparents too so we spend a lot of time with our grandson. He's the most fun of all.

blake1012
02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Alot of sports........Golf (i work on a course), baseball, football

Hanging with my wife and our new puppy, an english bulldog.

Riding atv's.....

davis45
02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Couple of my hobbies that I spend way too much money on. The motorcycle is for sale if someone wants it.

All Season Bill
02-16-2009, 04:52 PM

Funny....I do that too at picnics and stuff.

mngrassguy
02-16-2009, 05:32 PM
When I'm not playing on Sundays (defensive end for the Kansas City Chiefs):laugh:, I enjoy showing off my 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T convertible (4 speed - numbers matching) at car shows. This pic was when I drove the Iowa State Fair queen 2 years ago. Notice the reflection off the Wallace building (where we go to test for pesticide licenses) that features the gold domes of our State's capitol building.

Nice car!!!:cool2:

wiseguyslawn
02-16-2009, 05:54 PM
some pics of my little free time

rcreech
02-16-2009, 06:13 PM
All I do is work I guess as I don't have any hobbies!

Trying to step up to be a better dad and husband...but hard to do with work always on the mind! That is one thing I must do better!

We take care of 380+ lawns, farm 400 acres and I sell seed and chemicals in the winter.

Work pretty much 6.5 days a week....but I will say that LAWNSITE is one of the things that I enjoy most, but I guess it is kinda lawn related~! :dizzy:

Have met some awesome people on here and have learned a lot!

wiseguyslawn
02-16-2009, 06:53 PM
rcreech,

I give you credit. Don't know how you do it buddy.:clapping:

ant
02-16-2009, 09:17 PM
great post..
with the kids we ride 4 wheelers see link http://www.webshots.com/user/adamant117
fishing
trapshooting
trapping
fishing

ted putnam
02-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Not really into football and basketball except when it comes to the Razorbacks. I bow hunt for deer with traditional archery and hunt them with firearms. I am a Turkey hunting maniac and have an extensive (native american) arrowhead collection. I don't have the time to add to that like I used to.

Hissing Cobra
02-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Americanlawn, Nice car! Got any more pic's?

I like to do a lot of things in my free time. I take my two daughters to all of their activities, which include Cheerleading and softball (I coach their teams). When I'm not doing all of that stuff, I like to go to car shows and cruise nights with my 1979 Ford Mustang Cobra, which I also drag race. Here's a pic.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/749/959/153730.jpg

quiet
02-16-2009, 11:55 PM
I am a volunteer quality assurance tech for Anheuser-Busch. Here's a sample of last night's log:

Beer #1 10:14 pm --- Good!
Beer #2 10:19 pm --- Even better!
Beer #3 10:38 pm --- Great!
Beer #4 11:02 pm --- Great!
Beer #5 11:29 pm --- Great!
Beer #6 11:59 pm --- Be right back, gotta whiz, review to follow.

LuvMyFerris
02-17-2009, 12:07 AM
My toys: :usflag:

Garage Queen
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/11222210784.jpg (http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewgallery.php?action=viewimg&id=210784)
Daily Driver
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/25736234761.jpg (http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewgallery.php?action=viewimg&id=234761)

:cool2:

LushGreenLawn
02-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Alright, after seeing everyones cool hobby, I will share mine...

I like to build and fly model rockets. Not the little Wal-Mart rockets you buy for your kids though, the ones I build are a little bigger and more involved.

Turfdoctor1
02-17-2009, 09:12 PM
worry.

seriously, golf for me.

Hoots
02-17-2009, 10:55 PM
I have recently started brewing my own beer. It is pretty cool (and slightly cheaper) It's not about saving money but the experience and satisfaction of saying "I made this".

In the summer we go to the lake and ride the wave runners on Sunday afternoon.

Looking Good Lawn Service
02-17-2009, 11:01 PM
I like to lift weights, I have been doing power lifting and bodybuilding for fun for years...I love trucks and working on them, and I like to go out with the gf, and whatever is going on at my college that is interesting

treegal1
02-17-2009, 11:02 PM
surf and fish........... some muddin

mngrassguy
02-17-2009, 11:37 PM
I try to go skiing in Colorado every year. Wolf Creek Pass is the bomb!!!

grenskpr
02-18-2009, 06:09 AM
I play alot of golf and mess around with bonsai trees.
Great post enjoy seeing these hobbies.

John

Ric
02-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Yo

I guess I have tried just about everything from sail boats and horses to Airplane at one time or another. I have a few Go Fast Toys and I enjoy playing in pool (Pocket Billiards) tournaments. I don't push my Go Fast Toys as hard as I once did and I don't win as many tournaments as I once did either. I play an occasional poker game and still do OK, but my son played professional poker in Vegas for 3 years before joining the world again and did quite well.

treegal1
02-18-2009, 11:47 AM
my newest hobby is spreading the tree hugger ideas to the 34108 areas

americanlawn
02-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Here's a couple more pics. It ain't about the car...it's how many "hard bodies" it attracts. :laugh:

1st pic = Winterset, IA car show (John Wayne's birthplace). Note the "hard body chick" next to Mason.

2nd pic = Iowa State Fair queen prefers E-Bodies (Cuda's & Challenger's).

3rd pic = Mason entered the pizza eating contest at a car show in Onawa, IA. NOTE: He's the one with the Miller Lite (with red cuzzie) in front of him. :laugh: No -- he didn't win. A girl won it! :laugh:

I have many more pics, but I thought these 3 would be of interest to most guys.
QUOTE=Hissing Cobra;2776453]Americanlawn, Nice car! Got any more pic's?

I like to do a lot of things in my free time. I take my two daughters to all of their activities, which include Cheerleading and softball (I coach their teams). When I'm not doing all of that stuff, I like to go to car shows and cruise nights with my 1979 Ford Mustang Cobra, which I also drag race. Here's a pic.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/749/959/153730.jpg[/QUOTE]

Ric
02-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Larry

What ever you do, Don't drive that car to intercity Detroit or New York's Harlem if you don't want car jacked. That Hot Purple will drive those people crazy.

Rayholio
02-18-2009, 08:00 PM
I pick me some banjo.. Kill other freaks in PC and Xbox games.. Serve the whims of my wife, And work.. yes.. for fun.. LOL

americanlawn
02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Ric -- I hear ya. Went to Windsor, Canada several times (for lazor eye surgery) via Detroit (bridge -- not the tunnel). 3 of the 4 times, they let us go thru with no hassles. But when we rented a Dodge Intreped we ran into problems. It was purple & it had Florida plates. They held us in their station while dogs sniffed the car. They even removed the car seats. After the dogs were satisfied, and we showed them our doctor's paperwork, they finally let us pass into Canada. That was weird.

Larry

What ever you do, Don't drive that car to intercity Detroit or New York's Harlem if you don't want car jacked. That Hot Purple will drive those people crazy.

rcreech
02-18-2009, 08:30 PM
The car is very nice Larry...but I think I would rather have the John Deere behind it! :laugh:

americanlawn
02-18-2009, 08:48 PM
That's bull crap & you know it. :laugh: I mow with a JD 727-A, but your Z-Spray Intermediate kicks butt. Glad you bought it. Great machine, very happy cuz you deserve it buddy. It beats the PG you used to run, and It's gunna make you some serious cash.

Mason says hi BTW. I do too. Your Iowa bud, Larry :waving:

The car is very nice Larry...but I think I would rather have the John Deere behind it! :laugh: